Sergio Garcia donates $110,000 to local chapters of The First Tee
September 24, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- PGA TOUR professional Sergio Garcia has donated $110,000 to support 13 chapters of The First Tee in the communities in which he competed in over his final seven tournaments of the 2013 season.
Garcia, an eight-time winner on the PGA TOUR, pledged $1,000 for each birdie, and $2,000 for every eagle, he made from the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational through the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
Over the course of the seven tournaments, Garcia made 102 birdies and four eagles.
“It was a great race for birdies, eagles and The First Tee,” said Garcia. “I enjoyed the challenge of trying to play good for a great cause and I did it with enthusiasm and passion.”
“The First Tee chapters are very focused on extending their reach and impact in communities and as such, we are very grateful to Sergio for embracing their efforts through this birdie pledge,” said Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee. “I spoke with him last week at TOUR Championship and expressed our gratitude and delight over his involvement.”
Garcia, who formed “Sergio’s Foundation” in 2002, has long supported charitable causes in his native Spain and around the world helping kids and young adults improve their lives through sports. The First Tee’s mission is to positively impact young people through educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through golf.
Following is a list the seven tournaments and The First Tee chapters in each of those communities that benefited:
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland
- PGA Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning
- Wyndham Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of the Triad
- The Barclays -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York
- Deutsche Bank Championship -- $26,000 to The First Tee of Massachusetts
- BMW Championship -- $17,000 to The First Tee of Greater Chicago
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola -- $15,000 to The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake
To learn more about how you can help support The First Tee, please visit thefirsttee.org.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015