Sergio Garcia donates $110,000 to local chapters of The First Tee
September 24, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- PGA TOUR professional Sergio Garcia has donated $110,000 to support 13 chapters of The First Tee in the communities in which he competed in over his final seven tournaments of the 2013 season.
Garcia, an eight-time winner on the PGA TOUR, pledged $1,000 for each birdie, and $2,000 for every eagle, he made from the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational through the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
Over the course of the seven tournaments, Garcia made 102 birdies and four eagles.
“It was a great race for birdies, eagles and The First Tee,” said Garcia. “I enjoyed the challenge of trying to play good for a great cause and I did it with enthusiasm and passion.”
“The First Tee chapters are very focused on extending their reach and impact in communities and as such, we are very grateful to Sergio for embracing their efforts through this birdie pledge,” said Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee. “I spoke with him last week at TOUR Championship and expressed our gratitude and delight over his involvement.”
Garcia, who formed “Sergio’s Foundation” in 2002, has long supported charitable causes in his native Spain and around the world helping kids and young adults improve their lives through sports. The First Tee’s mission is to positively impact young people through educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through golf.
Following is a list the seven tournaments and The First Tee chapters in each of those communities that benefited:
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland
- PGA Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning
- Wyndham Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of the Triad
- The Barclays -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York
- Deutsche Bank Championship -- $26,000 to The First Tee of Massachusetts
- BMW Championship -- $17,000 to The First Tee of Greater Chicago
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola -- $15,000 to The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake
To learn more about how you can help support The First Tee, please visit thefirsttee.org.
- G-Mac Foundation helps to raise $700K at the 2017 Best of Ireland Dinner 01/23/2017
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016