Sergio Garcia donates $110,000 to local chapters of The First Tee
September 24, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- PGA TOUR professional Sergio Garcia has donated $110,000 to support 13 chapters of The First Tee in the communities in which he competed in over his final seven tournaments of the 2013 season.
Garcia, an eight-time winner on the PGA TOUR, pledged $1,000 for each birdie, and $2,000 for every eagle, he made from the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational through the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
Over the course of the seven tournaments, Garcia made 102 birdies and four eagles.
“It was a great race for birdies, eagles and The First Tee,” said Garcia. “I enjoyed the challenge of trying to play good for a great cause and I did it with enthusiasm and passion.”
“The First Tee chapters are very focused on extending their reach and impact in communities and as such, we are very grateful to Sergio for embracing their efforts through this birdie pledge,” said Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive officer of The First Tee. “I spoke with him last week at TOUR Championship and expressed our gratitude and delight over his involvement.”
Garcia, who formed “Sergio’s Foundation” in 2002, has long supported charitable causes in his native Spain and around the world helping kids and young adults improve their lives through sports. The First Tee’s mission is to positively impact young people through educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through golf.
Following is a list the seven tournaments and The First Tee chapters in each of those communities that benefited:
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland
- PGA Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning
- Wyndham Championship -- $12,000 to The First Tee of the Triad
- The Barclays -- $14,000 to The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York
- Deutsche Bank Championship -- $26,000 to The First Tee of Massachusetts
- BMW Championship -- $17,000 to The First Tee of Greater Chicago
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola -- $15,000 to The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake
To learn more about how you can help support The First Tee, please visit thefirsttee.org.
- VIDEO: Players make a special hospital visit during Allianz Championship 02/26/2015
- Jonas Blixt makes a young cancer survivor's dream come true 02/25/2015
- Fifth annual Els for Autism Golf Challenge kicks off 02/25/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence to welcome first students in August 02/25/2015
- PHOTOS: Mahan teams with sponsor to raise funds for NADA Charitable Foundation 02/24/2015
- Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona 02/19/2015
- Web.com Tour Championship, City of Jacksonville donate $408K to The First Tee 02/18/2015
- Greg and Nicole Chalmers launch autism support organization 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Tim Lang 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Katie Horsford 02/13/2015