PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House during BMW Championship
September 12, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
While PGA TOUR players prepared for the BMW Championship at Conway Farms, their spouses were cooking up dishes and entertainment for sick children in downtown Chicago.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association spent part of Tuesday and Wednesday first preparing and and then serving lunch to families at the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Chicago. The House, the nation's largest, currently hosts 86 families from as far away as Taiwan who have children from who are undergoing medical treatment at Lurie's Children Hospital.
On Tuesday, a group of Association members pulled recipes from their recently published anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens - A Look Inside the Lives of PGA TOUR Families and made, from scratch, soups, salads, casseroles and cookies that, on Wednesday, were finished and served up to the families.
In addition to feeding the families, they worked side-by-side with the children on an art project entitled "Hands helping Hands" to commemorate 9/11. The children created American flags by dipping their hands in paint and wrote messages of support on the flags which will be sent to US troops and their families.
The day was special for the children and the members alike; it is a reminder that the simple things, like a meal prepared with love and compassion, and the laughter accompanying the silliness of an art project, can make even the most difficult of days a little bit easier.
- The First Tee of the Triad, PGA TOUR player Johnson Wagner, Salute 2016 Award Winners, ACE Graduates 12/02/2016
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016