PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House during BMW Championship
September 12, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
While PGA TOUR players prepared for the BMW Championship at Conway Farms, their spouses were cooking up dishes and entertainment for sick children in downtown Chicago.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association spent part of Tuesday and Wednesday first preparing and and then serving lunch to families at the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Chicago. The House, the nation's largest, currently hosts 86 families from as far away as Taiwan who have children from who are undergoing medical treatment at Lurie's Children Hospital.
On Tuesday, a group of Association members pulled recipes from their recently published anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens - A Look Inside the Lives of PGA TOUR Families and made, from scratch, soups, salads, casseroles and cookies that, on Wednesday, were finished and served up to the families.
In addition to feeding the families, they worked side-by-side with the children on an art project entitled "Hands helping Hands" to commemorate 9/11. The children created American flags by dipping their hands in paint and wrote messages of support on the flags which will be sent to US troops and their families.
The day was special for the children and the members alike; it is a reminder that the simple things, like a meal prepared with love and compassion, and the laughter accompanying the silliness of an art project, can make even the most difficult of days a little bit easier.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open donates $50K to local food bank 11/26/2014
- Frys.com Open awards $1 million to charity 11/26/2014
- Making a Difference: Golf’s Charitable Impact 11/25/2014
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out at Police Athletic League 11/24/2014
- Champions Tour official honored for his commitment to military charities 11/24/2014
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 11/21/2014
- Jim Hunt named 2014 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for service to the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 11/21/2014
- BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX announces 2015 charity partners 11/19/2014
- Billy Horschel visits Feeding Northeast Florida during THE PLAYERS' giving back month 11/19/2014
- WinCo Foods Portland Open delivers $725,000 to Oregon charities 11/18/2014