PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House during BMW Championship
September 12, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
While PGA TOUR players prepared for the BMW Championship at Conway Farms, their spouses were cooking up dishes and entertainment for sick children in downtown Chicago.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association spent part of Tuesday and Wednesday first preparing and and then serving lunch to families at the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Chicago. The House, the nation's largest, currently hosts 86 families from as far away as Taiwan who have children from who are undergoing medical treatment at Lurie's Children Hospital.
On Tuesday, a group of Association members pulled recipes from their recently published anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens - A Look Inside the Lives of PGA TOUR Families and made, from scratch, soups, salads, casseroles and cookies that, on Wednesday, were finished and served up to the families.
In addition to feeding the families, they worked side-by-side with the children on an art project entitled "Hands helping Hands" to commemorate 9/11. The children created American flags by dipping their hands in paint and wrote messages of support on the flags which will be sent to US troops and their families.
The day was special for the children and the members alike; it is a reminder that the simple things, like a meal prepared with love and compassion, and the laughter accompanying the silliness of an art project, can make even the most difficult of days a little bit easier.
- On the heels of war, a healing opportunity during The Barclays 09/02/2015
- VIDEO: Keegan Bradley hosts fourth annual charity tournament in Vermont 09/02/2015
- PGA TOUR teams with Nike Oven to create unique Make-A-Wish experience for leukemia patient 08/28/2015
- VIDEO: 98-year-old Dick's Sporting Goods Open volunteer still going strong 08/28/2015
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- National Capital Open to Support Our Troops about more than just golf 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015