PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House during BMW Championship
September 12, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
While PGA TOUR players prepared for the BMW Championship at Conway Farms, their spouses were cooking up dishes and entertainment for sick children in downtown Chicago.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association spent part of Tuesday and Wednesday first preparing and and then serving lunch to families at the Ronald McDonald House in downtown Chicago. The House, the nation's largest, currently hosts 86 families from as far away as Taiwan who have children from who are undergoing medical treatment at Lurie's Children Hospital.
On Tuesday, a group of Association members pulled recipes from their recently published anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens - A Look Inside the Lives of PGA TOUR Families and made, from scratch, soups, salads, casseroles and cookies that, on Wednesday, were finished and served up to the families.
In addition to feeding the families, they worked side-by-side with the children on an art project entitled "Hands helping Hands" to commemorate 9/11. The children created American flags by dipping their hands in paint and wrote messages of support on the flags which will be sent to US troops and their families.
The day was special for the children and the members alike; it is a reminder that the simple things, like a meal prepared with love and compassion, and the laughter accompanying the silliness of an art project, can make even the most difficult of days a little bit easier.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015