The Principal Charity Classic gives $1 million to charity in 2013
September 25, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa – The 2013 Principal Charity Classic will donate a record $1,032,500 to local children’s charities. This is the first time donations from the PGA TOUR’s Champions Tour tournament, sponsored by the Principal Financial Group and presented by Wells Fargo, surpassed the million-dollar mark in a single year.
“We’re very grateful to our 300 sponsors, the 81 Champions Tour players who participated in this year’s tournament, the more than 73,000 fans who attended and the 1,200-plus volunteers who helped make it all possible. Thanks to everyone’s support, The Principal Charity Classic will help thousands of children in need—right here in central Iowa,” said Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, The Principal.
Wells Fargo, presenting sponsor of The Principal Charity Classic for the past seven years, announced an extension of its sponsorship through 2015. “Wells Fargo is incredibly proud to be a part of The Principal Charity Classic, which does so much good for so many kids. Extending our sponsorship for another two years helps to ensure that this tournament’s proud tradition will continue,” said Dan Abbott, president of Wells Fargo Retail Services.
For the third year in a row, The Principal Charity Classic is number one on the Champions Tour in tournament-generated proceeds to charity. Since the inception of The Principal Charity Classic in 2007, the tournament has distributed more than $5 million to children’s charities. All donations stay within central Iowa.
This year marked The Principal Charity Classic’s first year at Wakonda Club in Des Moines. “The legendary Wakonda Club course was a hit with players and fans alike,” said Mary O’Keefe, chair of The Principal Charity Classic and senior vice president, The Principal. “It presented new challenges to the players, gave fans amazing views of the play and helped us showcase the vibrant city of Des Moines to a national audience.”
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety—the Children’s Charity of Iowa
In addition to benefitting local charities, the PGA TOUR and an Iowa State University study estimate the tournament generates an economic impact of $20.8 million annually for the region, including increased business for area hotels, restaurants, shopping establishments and other entertainment venues. The event also showcases Des Moines to a national television audience.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Evansville Community Benefits from Web.com Tour Event 04/27/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016