The Principal Charity Classic gives $1 million to charity in 2013
September 25, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa – The 2013 Principal Charity Classic will donate a record $1,032,500 to local children’s charities. This is the first time donations from the PGA TOUR’s Champions Tour tournament, sponsored by the Principal Financial Group and presented by Wells Fargo, surpassed the million-dollar mark in a single year.
“We’re very grateful to our 300 sponsors, the 81 Champions Tour players who participated in this year’s tournament, the more than 73,000 fans who attended and the 1,200-plus volunteers who helped make it all possible. Thanks to everyone’s support, The Principal Charity Classic will help thousands of children in need—right here in central Iowa,” said Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, The Principal.
Wells Fargo, presenting sponsor of The Principal Charity Classic for the past seven years, announced an extension of its sponsorship through 2015. “Wells Fargo is incredibly proud to be a part of The Principal Charity Classic, which does so much good for so many kids. Extending our sponsorship for another two years helps to ensure that this tournament’s proud tradition will continue,” said Dan Abbott, president of Wells Fargo Retail Services.
For the third year in a row, The Principal Charity Classic is number one on the Champions Tour in tournament-generated proceeds to charity. Since the inception of The Principal Charity Classic in 2007, the tournament has distributed more than $5 million to children’s charities. All donations stay within central Iowa.
This year marked The Principal Charity Classic’s first year at Wakonda Club in Des Moines. “The legendary Wakonda Club course was a hit with players and fans alike,” said Mary O’Keefe, chair of The Principal Charity Classic and senior vice president, The Principal. “It presented new challenges to the players, gave fans amazing views of the play and helped us showcase the vibrant city of Des Moines to a national audience.”
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety—the Children’s Charity of Iowa
In addition to benefitting local charities, the PGA TOUR and an Iowa State University study estimate the tournament generates an economic impact of $20.8 million annually for the region, including increased business for area hotels, restaurants, shopping establishments and other entertainment venues. The event also showcases Des Moines to a national television audience.
- VIDEO: Justin Rose takes aim from 747 wing for charity 10/31/2014
- John Deere Classic announces $6.3M raised for charity in 2014 10/31/2014
- Fifth annual Battle of the Network Stars nets $10k for San Antonio charities 10/29/2014
- VIDEO: Shriners patient R.J. Wren plays alongside TOUR pros in Vegas 10/27/2014
- Travelers Championship announces record $1.5M raised for charity in 2014 10/27/2014
- 2014 Wells Fargo Championship distributes over $1 million to charities 10/23/2014
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014