Insperity Championship to donate $1 million to The First Tee of Greater Houston
September 13, 2013
THE WOODLANDS, Texas— Officials with the Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare, in conjunction with the tournament’s title sponsor Insperity, announced today plans to donate $1 million to The First Tee of Greater Houston at Houston Oaks campus over a five-year period. Houston Oaks is the first private club in The First Tee network to open its doors to the program and construct a facility on its property. Included in today’s announcement was the first of five $200,000 donations for capital improvements.
“We are grateful to the board of the Insperity Championship for recognizing the goals and efforts of The First Tee program at Houston Oaks,” said Chuck Watson, co-owner of Houston Oaks. “These funds will help create a better facility for the 400-plus children per year who come through the program today and into the future.”
Today facilities at the Houston Oaks campus include: An 8-acre practice area consisting of a driving range, practice putting greens, puttable target greens, multiple teeing areas, bunkers and a 5-hole loop. Youngsters also have access to the 9-hole “Family Nine” course. Classrooms are dedicated to the teaching of the First Tee core values and life skills.Funds donated by the Insperity Championship will help to improve the facility by adding an indoor bay hitting facility and a theater for state-of-the art video swing analysis planned for next year.
“Helping to grow the game of golf has always been important to us as a tournament organization,” said Bryan Naugle, Executive Director of the Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare. “What The First Tee is doing around the country, and in particular in Houston, is important to all of us who value what golf is truly about.”
The First Tee of Greater Houston, which is operated by the Houston Golf Association, includes three campuses--Redstone, Quail Valley and Houston Oaks. The mission of The First Tee is to teach participants the importance of maintaining a positive attitude, making decisions, setting goals and transferring values such as responsibility, honesty, and respect from the golf course to everyday life. Participants progress through The First Tee certification levels of PLAYer, Par, Advanced Par, Birdie, Eagle, and Ace while being introduced to different golf and life skills. Programming is available for children ages 7-18.
“One of the core values of the Insperity Championship is to make a positive impact on the Greater Houston area,” said Paul J. Sarvadi, chairman and CEO of Insperity. “We recognize that The First Tee of Greater Houston at Houston Oaks is a program which can make a difference in our community. At Insperity we also believe it is important to help businesses succeed so communities prosper. That is why we are glad to be a partner of The First Tee of Greater Houston.”
The Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare is scheduled for April 28-May 4, 2014. This year marks the 10th anniversary of the tournament. During that time, the tournament has been recognized as one of the top events on the Champions Tour schedule. In 2012, the tournament received The Players Award for having "the best of everything" for players, sponsors and spectators. In 2008, the tournament received the President’s Award as the best overall event and in 2011 was honored with the President’s Award for Excellence in Achievement.
- VIDEO: 98-year-old Dick's Sporting Goods Open volunteer still going strong 08/28/2015
- PGA TOUR teams with Nike Oven to create unique Make-A-Wish experience for leukemia patient 08/28/2015
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- National Capital Open to Support Our Troops about more than just golf 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- Wyndham Championship supports local Piedmont Triad community during tournament week 08/18/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence opens its doors to students 08/17/2015