Insperity Championship to donate $1 million to The First Tee of Greater Houston
September 13, 2013
THE WOODLANDS, Texas— Officials with the Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare, in conjunction with the tournament’s title sponsor Insperity, announced today plans to donate $1 million to The First Tee of Greater Houston at Houston Oaks campus over a five-year period. Houston Oaks is the first private club in The First Tee network to open its doors to the program and construct a facility on its property. Included in today’s announcement was the first of five $200,000 donations for capital improvements.
“We are grateful to the board of the Insperity Championship for recognizing the goals and efforts of The First Tee program at Houston Oaks,” said Chuck Watson, co-owner of Houston Oaks. “These funds will help create a better facility for the 400-plus children per year who come through the program today and into the future.”
Today facilities at the Houston Oaks campus include: An 8-acre practice area consisting of a driving range, practice putting greens, puttable target greens, multiple teeing areas, bunkers and a 5-hole loop. Youngsters also have access to the 9-hole “Family Nine” course. Classrooms are dedicated to the teaching of the First Tee core values and life skills.Funds donated by the Insperity Championship will help to improve the facility by adding an indoor bay hitting facility and a theater for state-of-the art video swing analysis planned for next year.
“Helping to grow the game of golf has always been important to us as a tournament organization,” said Bryan Naugle, Executive Director of the Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare. “What The First Tee is doing around the country, and in particular in Houston, is important to all of us who value what golf is truly about.”
The First Tee of Greater Houston, which is operated by the Houston Golf Association, includes three campuses--Redstone, Quail Valley and Houston Oaks. The mission of The First Tee is to teach participants the importance of maintaining a positive attitude, making decisions, setting goals and transferring values such as responsibility, honesty, and respect from the golf course to everyday life. Participants progress through The First Tee certification levels of PLAYer, Par, Advanced Par, Birdie, Eagle, and Ace while being introduced to different golf and life skills. Programming is available for children ages 7-18.
“One of the core values of the Insperity Championship is to make a positive impact on the Greater Houston area,” said Paul J. Sarvadi, chairman and CEO of Insperity. “We recognize that The First Tee of Greater Houston at Houston Oaks is a program which can make a difference in our community. At Insperity we also believe it is important to help businesses succeed so communities prosper. That is why we are glad to be a partner of The First Tee of Greater Houston.”
The Insperity Championship presented by UnitedHealthcare is scheduled for April 28-May 4, 2014. This year marks the 10th anniversary of the tournament. During that time, the tournament has been recognized as one of the top events on the Champions Tour schedule. In 2012, the tournament received The Players Award for having "the best of everything" for players, sponsors and spectators. In 2008, the tournament received the President’s Award as the best overall event and in 2011 was honored with the President’s Award for Excellence in Achievement.
- PGA TOUR to donate $100,000 to West Virginia Flood Relief 06/28/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016