PGA TOUR Wives, Goodie Two Shoes Foundation bring new kicks to 400 Las Vegas students
October 17, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS -- The PGA TOUR Wives Association partnered with the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation and community volunteers to fit almost 400 elementary school children with new shoes on Wednesday during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
This is the fourth year the two organizations have worked together in the Las Vegas community. The Goodie Two Shoes Foundation provides disadvantaged children and children in crisis with new shoes and socks as well as other items deemed essential for good health and positive development.
The morning began with the children coming to the Goodie Two Shoes "shoe store on wheels", a 48-foot custom trailer that carries 3,000 pairs of shoes. The children were met by volunteers who first measured their feet. They were then assigned a partner who helped them through the process of choosing their new shoes.
The children were also given six pairs of new socks and a dental kit containing new a toothbrush, toothpaste, timer and a variety of items needed for good oral hygiene. For most of the children, the time spent in positive interaction with an adult, and the opportunity to actually make a choice on their own, provides them with a sense of empowerment they've never experienced before.
For members of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, it was a wonderful opportunity to spend the day working in the local community, helping out where help is needed. It was not hard to see that a new pair of shoes, a smiling face and a helping hand for a child makes an impact; on the child, the volunteer and the community.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015