PGA TOUR Wives, Goodie Two Shoes Foundation bring new kicks to 400 Las Vegas students
October 17, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS -- The PGA TOUR Wives Association partnered with the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation and community volunteers to fit almost 400 elementary school children with new shoes on Wednesday during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
This is the fourth year the two organizations have worked together in the Las Vegas community. The Goodie Two Shoes Foundation provides disadvantaged children and children in crisis with new shoes and socks as well as other items deemed essential for good health and positive development.
The morning began with the children coming to the Goodie Two Shoes "shoe store on wheels", a 48-foot custom trailer that carries 3,000 pairs of shoes. The children were met by volunteers who first measured their feet. They were then assigned a partner who helped them through the process of choosing their new shoes.
The children were also given six pairs of new socks and a dental kit containing new a toothbrush, toothpaste, timer and a variety of items needed for good oral hygiene. For most of the children, the time spent in positive interaction with an adult, and the opportunity to actually make a choice on their own, provides them with a sense of empowerment they've never experienced before.
For members of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, it was a wonderful opportunity to spend the day working in the local community, helping out where help is needed. It was not hard to see that a new pair of shoes, a smiling face and a helping hand for a child makes an impact; on the child, the volunteer and the community.
- VIDEO: 2013 Charity Of The Year - Memory Matters 04/17/2014
- RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities 04/17/2014
- RBC Heritage, Ernie Els Foundation turn golf blue in support of autism awareness 04/16/2014
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS Championship 17th Hole Charity Challenge 04/14/2014
- Jacksonville community receives 'dream' playground 04/14/2014
- PGA TOUR Superstore announces $5,000 grant to The First Tee of Greater Rockford 04/04/2014
- Inaugural Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs to benefit youth 04/03/2014
- Donate Life America's "Play Through with Erik Compton" enters third year 04/03/2014
- Notah Begay to host charity golf tournament 04/03/2014
- Erik Compton: Matters of the Heart 04/02/2014