PGA TOUR Wives, Goodie Two Shoes Foundation bring new kicks to 400 Las Vegas students
October 17, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS -- The PGA TOUR Wives Association partnered with the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation and community volunteers to fit almost 400 elementary school children with new shoes on Wednesday during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
This is the fourth year the two organizations have worked together in the Las Vegas community. The Goodie Two Shoes Foundation provides disadvantaged children and children in crisis with new shoes and socks as well as other items deemed essential for good health and positive development.
The morning began with the children coming to the Goodie Two Shoes "shoe store on wheels", a 48-foot custom trailer that carries 3,000 pairs of shoes. The children were met by volunteers who first measured their feet. They were then assigned a partner who helped them through the process of choosing their new shoes.
The children were also given six pairs of new socks and a dental kit containing new a toothbrush, toothpaste, timer and a variety of items needed for good oral hygiene. For most of the children, the time spent in positive interaction with an adult, and the opportunity to actually make a choice on their own, provides them with a sense of empowerment they've never experienced before.
For members of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, it was a wonderful opportunity to spend the day working in the local community, helping out where help is needed. It was not hard to see that a new pair of shoes, a smiling face and a helping hand for a child makes an impact; on the child, the volunteer and the community.
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 11/21/2014
- Jim Hunt named 2014 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for service to the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 11/21/2014
- Billy Horschel visits Feeding Northeast Florida during THE PLAYERS' giving back month 11/19/2014
- BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX announces 2015 charity partners 11/19/2014
- WinCo Foods Portland Open delivers $725,000 to Oregon charities 11/18/2014
- VIDEO: Brandt Snedeker shoots for charity during Monday Night Football 11/18/2014
- Snedeker to take shot for charity during Titans-Steelers game on Monday night 11/14/2014
- Humana Challenge host organization donates $800k to Coachella Valley community 11/13/2014
- VIDEO: Nonprofits share more than $130,000 in United Leasing Championship donations 11/13/2014
- 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open generates over $7M for local charities 11/13/2014