PGA TOUR Wives, Goodie Two Shoes Foundation bring new kicks to 400 Las Vegas students
October 17, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS -- The PGA TOUR Wives Association partnered with the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation and community volunteers to fit almost 400 elementary school children with new shoes on Wednesday during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
This is the fourth year the two organizations have worked together in the Las Vegas community. The Goodie Two Shoes Foundation provides disadvantaged children and children in crisis with new shoes and socks as well as other items deemed essential for good health and positive development.
The morning began with the children coming to the Goodie Two Shoes "shoe store on wheels", a 48-foot custom trailer that carries 3,000 pairs of shoes. The children were met by volunteers who first measured their feet. They were then assigned a partner who helped them through the process of choosing their new shoes.
The children were also given six pairs of new socks and a dental kit containing new a toothbrush, toothpaste, timer and a variety of items needed for good oral hygiene. For most of the children, the time spent in positive interaction with an adult, and the opportunity to actually make a choice on their own, provides them with a sense of empowerment they've never experienced before.
For members of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, it was a wonderful opportunity to spend the day working in the local community, helping out where help is needed. It was not hard to see that a new pair of shoes, a smiling face and a helping hand for a child makes an impact; on the child, the volunteer and the community.
- VIDEO: Gary Player reunites with First Tee Open participant he inspired 09/22/2014
- The Greenbrier Classic announces first annual volunteer charitable initiative campaign 09/18/2014
- VIDEO: Web.com Tour player Peter Malnati's special friendship with a young cancer survivor 09/16/2014
- VIDEO: Brendon Todd visits East Lake's Drew Charter School during TOUR Championship 09/10/2014
- Web.com Tour Wives give back through “Fill the Cart with Fun” campaign 09/10/2014
- Andrade, Cink contribute to East Lake's success story 09/09/2014
- Chris Wilson kicks off campaign in support of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation 09/09/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014