PGA TOUR Wives, Goodie Two Shoes Foundation bring new kicks to 400 Las Vegas students
October 17, 2013
By Sara Moores, PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS -- The PGA TOUR Wives Association partnered with the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation and community volunteers to fit almost 400 elementary school children with new shoes on Wednesday during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
This is the fourth year the two organizations have worked together in the Las Vegas community. The Goodie Two Shoes Foundation provides disadvantaged children and children in crisis with new shoes and socks as well as other items deemed essential for good health and positive development.
The morning began with the children coming to the Goodie Two Shoes "shoe store on wheels", a 48-foot custom trailer that carries 3,000 pairs of shoes. The children were met by volunteers who first measured their feet. They were then assigned a partner who helped them through the process of choosing their new shoes.
The children were also given six pairs of new socks and a dental kit containing new a toothbrush, toothpaste, timer and a variety of items needed for good oral hygiene. For most of the children, the time spent in positive interaction with an adult, and the opportunity to actually make a choice on their own, provides them with a sense of empowerment they've never experienced before.
For members of the PGA TOUR Wives Association, it was a wonderful opportunity to spend the day working in the local community, helping out where help is needed. It was not hard to see that a new pair of shoes, a smiling face and a helping hand for a child makes an impact; on the child, the volunteer and the community.
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016
- Furyk Foundation provides Hope for the Holidays in North Florida 12/13/2016