Alan Alda, Joe Mantegna to host telethon benefitting wounded veterans on November 10
October 22, 2013
Celebrities, musicians and comedians and American armed forces veterans will come together this upcoming Veterans Day Weekend, for Homeward Bound, a live, four-hour national telethon to support veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Alan Alda and Joe Mantegna will host the live event, to air on the Military Channel, on Sunday, Nov. 10, from 7-11 p.m. ET in Hollywood's historic American Legion Hall #43. Other stars, along with veterans and other dignitaries, will staff the phone banks to accept donations. Multiple Emmy-winner Gary Smith is executive producer, Lee Miller is producer and Gail Purse is co-producer/talent executive.
Celebrity participants will include actor Kevin Spacey and singers Lou Diamond Phillips, Michael Feinstein, Connie Francis, Patti Austin among others. Decorated veterans Staff Sergeant Ty Carter (2013 recipient of the Medal of Freedom) and Lt. Colonel Bob Friend, a former Tuskegee Airman will also be a part of the eevnt. Performers for the evening include Steve Tyrell, the American Military Spouses Choir and vocal groups Gentlemen’s Rule and Under the Streetlamp.
PEOPLE Magazine is teaming up with HOMEWARD BOUND because of the magazine’s commitment to providing assistance to men and women who served in the military. A portion of the night’s proceeds will go to one of PEOPLE’s charities, Operation Finally Home, which has built more than 30 custom-designed mortgage free homes for wounded and disabled veterans and the widows of the fall in an effort to get their lives back on track to become productive members of their communities.
For more information, please visit HomewardBoundTelethon.org.
- WGC-Cadillac Championship hosts baby shower for military moms-to-be 03/02/2015
- VIDEO: Players make a special hospital visit during Allianz Championship 02/26/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence to welcome first students in August 02/25/2015
- Jonas Blixt makes a young cancer survivor's dream come true 02/25/2015
- Fifth annual Els for Autism Golf Challenge kicks off 02/25/2015
- PHOTOS: Mahan teams with sponsor to raise funds for NADA Charitable Foundation 02/24/2015
- Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona 02/19/2015
- Web.com Tour Championship, City of Jacksonville donate $408K to The First Tee 02/18/2015
- Roberto Castro launches birdies campaign for Iowa, Nebraska charities 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Tim Lang 02/13/2015