Alan Alda, Joe Mantegna to host telethon benefitting wounded veterans on November 10
October 22, 2013
Celebrities, musicians and comedians and American armed forces veterans will come together this upcoming Veterans Day Weekend, for Homeward Bound, a live, four-hour national telethon to support veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Alan Alda and Joe Mantegna will host the live event, to air on the Military Channel, on Sunday, Nov. 10, from 7-11 p.m. ET in Hollywood's historic American Legion Hall #43. Other stars, along with veterans and other dignitaries, will staff the phone banks to accept donations. Multiple Emmy-winner Gary Smith is executive producer, Lee Miller is producer and Gail Purse is co-producer/talent executive.
Celebrity participants will include actor Kevin Spacey and singers Lou Diamond Phillips, Michael Feinstein, Connie Francis, Patti Austin among others. Decorated veterans Staff Sergeant Ty Carter (2013 recipient of the Medal of Freedom) and Lt. Colonel Bob Friend, a former Tuskegee Airman will also be a part of the eevnt. Performers for the evening include Steve Tyrell, the American Military Spouses Choir and vocal groups Gentlemen’s Rule and Under the Streetlamp.
PEOPLE Magazine is teaming up with HOMEWARD BOUND because of the magazine’s commitment to providing assistance to men and women who served in the military. A portion of the night’s proceeds will go to one of PEOPLE’s charities, Operation Finally Home, which has built more than 30 custom-designed mortgage free homes for wounded and disabled veterans and the widows of the fall in an effort to get their lives back on track to become productive members of their communities.
For more information, please visit HomewardBoundTelethon.org.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013