Alan Alda, Joe Mantegna to host telethon benefitting wounded veterans on November 10
October 22, 2013
Celebrities, musicians and comedians and American armed forces veterans will come together this upcoming Veterans Day Weekend, for Homeward Bound, a live, four-hour national telethon to support veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Alan Alda and Joe Mantegna will host the live event, to air on the Military Channel, on Sunday, Nov. 10, from 7-11 p.m. ET in Hollywood's historic American Legion Hall #43. Other stars, along with veterans and other dignitaries, will staff the phone banks to accept donations. Multiple Emmy-winner Gary Smith is executive producer, Lee Miller is producer and Gail Purse is co-producer/talent executive.
Celebrity participants will include actor Kevin Spacey and singers Lou Diamond Phillips, Michael Feinstein, Connie Francis, Patti Austin among others. Decorated veterans Staff Sergeant Ty Carter (2013 recipient of the Medal of Freedom) and Lt. Colonel Bob Friend, a former Tuskegee Airman will also be a part of the eevnt. Performers for the evening include Steve Tyrell, the American Military Spouses Choir and vocal groups Gentlemen’s Rule and Under the Streetlamp.
PEOPLE Magazine is teaming up with HOMEWARD BOUND because of the magazine’s commitment to providing assistance to men and women who served in the military. A portion of the night’s proceeds will go to one of PEOPLE’s charities, Operation Finally Home, which has built more than 30 custom-designed mortgage free homes for wounded and disabled veterans and the widows of the fall in an effort to get their lives back on track to become productive members of their communities.
For more information, please visit HomewardBoundTelethon.org.
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014