Lee Westwood helps raise over £228,600 for wounded British Armed Forces service members
October 30, 2013
While in China for this week's WGC- HSBC Champions event, Lee Westwood took time out of his busy schedule to be present a check for over £228,600 (USD $350,000) to Help for Heroes, an organization committed to providing aid to wounded service members of the British Armed Forces.
The funds were raised through the National Golf Club Challenge (NGCC), an event Westwood has been involved with since its 2010 inception. A total of over £$750,000 (USD $1.2M) has been raised for Help for Heroes through the challenge.
"I'm proud to be patron to the National Golf Club Challenge," Lee commented. "It's the best way I can think of to bring the British golfing community together to raise funds for such a worthy cause. Our troops do a great job and deserve our help and support. Congratulations to the Challenge team this year on such a successful fundraising achievement."
The National Golf Club Challenge is a national inter-club competition which invites golf clubs throughout the UK to compete against each other, at the same time as collectively fundraising for Help for Heroes, supporting injured members of the British Armed Forces.
Lee's involvement with the event continues to help spread the word through media interviews, as well as supporting the fundraising by donating golfing memorabilia for the NGCC online auction.
"We're indebted to Lee for his involvement as one of our high profile patrons," said event director, Stacey Jeffries, "Lee has been sensational from the moment I told him about the event back in 2010, he has always been dedicated to doing all he can to help and nothing is ever too much trouble for him. His ongoing support means so much to us and definitely makes a positive difference with our fundraising efforts. We look forward to another successful event in 2014 in what will be a very special year as we honor our heroes."
For more information on how to get involved with the 2014 event, please visit 2014ngcc.com.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013