Lee Westwood helps raise over £228,600 for wounded British Armed Forces service members
October 30, 2013
While in China for this week's WGC- HSBC Champions event, Lee Westwood took time out of his busy schedule to be present a check for over £228,600 (USD $350,000) to Help for Heroes, an organization committed to providing aid to wounded service members of the British Armed Forces.
The funds were raised through the National Golf Club Challenge (NGCC), an event Westwood has been involved with since its 2010 inception. A total of over £$750,000 (USD $1.2M) has been raised for Help for Heroes through the challenge.
"I'm proud to be patron to the National Golf Club Challenge," Lee commented. "It's the best way I can think of to bring the British golfing community together to raise funds for such a worthy cause. Our troops do a great job and deserve our help and support. Congratulations to the Challenge team this year on such a successful fundraising achievement."
The National Golf Club Challenge is a national inter-club competition which invites golf clubs throughout the UK to compete against each other, at the same time as collectively fundraising for Help for Heroes, supporting injured members of the British Armed Forces.
Lee's involvement with the event continues to help spread the word through media interviews, as well as supporting the fundraising by donating golfing memorabilia for the NGCC online auction.
"We're indebted to Lee for his involvement as one of our high profile patrons," said event director, Stacey Jeffries, "Lee has been sensational from the moment I told him about the event back in 2010, he has always been dedicated to doing all he can to help and nothing is ever too much trouble for him. His ongoing support means so much to us and definitely makes a positive difference with our fundraising efforts. We look forward to another successful event in 2014 in what will be a very special year as we honor our heroes."
For more information on how to get involved with the 2014 event, please visit 2014ngcc.com.
- Zurich and St. Bernard Project use lessons learned post Hurricane Katrina to help communities across America 04/24/2014
- Els and Compton unite in mission to make an impact 04/23/2014
- PGA TOUR players help wounded heroes enjoy a club fitting experience in New Orleans 04/23/2014
- Woods has a new tournament -- for amateurs 04/23/2014
- Zurich Classic teams with Ernie Els Foundation in support of autism 04/22/2014
- Junior golfers Drive, Chip and Putt their way through Augusta 04/21/2014
- Harris English launches birdies campaign for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 04/17/2014
- RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities 04/17/2014
- VIDEO: 2013 Charity Of The Year - Memory Matters 04/17/2014
- RBC Heritage, Ernie Els Foundation turn golf blue in support of autism awareness 04/16/2014