Chitimacha Louisiana Open donates over $158,000 to local charities
October 21, 2013
The self-proclaimed “most important day of the year” for the Chitimacha Louisiana Open took place at the Petroleum Club in Lafayette on Oct. 2 where tournament officials and Chitimacha Tribal Chairman, John Darden, presented local and regional charitable organizations and youth groups with over $158,000 in contributions.
PGA Tour’s Web.com Tour event celebrated their 22nd annual Open at Le Triomphe in Broussard, LA. The Chitimacha Louisiana Open has contributed over $2 million over the past decade to local and regional charities and over $4.2 million since its inception. “Given the rocky economy, the contributions are quite good. However, would like to get back where we were only a few short years ago where we were donating a quarter-million dollars each year,” stated Danny Jones, Open Executive Director.
Chitimacha Louisiana Open continues to grow even with the recent economic downturn. The group’s primary goal is to raise as many charity dollars as possible to make a positive impact on the community. The Open awarded over $152,000 last year to 50 groups, so this year’s total is an increase over 2012 and it is a welcomed contribution to many local and regional charities. “All of these charities are working and generating their own funds so it’s not like we’re just giving them a check. The Open is a great way to help fund these charities to continue their good work,” commented Jones. “We have incredible volunteers who make the Open possible and most of these groups were involved in the staging of the tournament in some capacity,” Jones continued.
The Chitimacha Louisiana Open and Web.com Tour have officially wrapped up the first year of their multi-year partnership. “We got to see the impact of our new partnership with Web.com and the difference we’re making,” stated Jones after he and Tribal Chairman, John Darden, distributed checks from the Open and other events conducted during the year.
Groups wishing to get involved may contact the Louisiana Open office at (337) 593-8000.
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016
- Danny Lee pledges to support West Virginia recovery efforts by donating to Neighbors Loving Neighbors 07/06/2016
- EZLinks Golf LLC launches TeeOff.com by PGA TOUR online booking fundraising program to benefit Birdies for the Brave 07/02/2016