Chitimacha Louisiana Open donates over $158,000 to local charities
October 21, 2013
The self-proclaimed “most important day of the year” for the Chitimacha Louisiana Open took place at the Petroleum Club in Lafayette on Oct. 2 where tournament officials and Chitimacha Tribal Chairman, John Darden, presented local and regional charitable organizations and youth groups with over $158,000 in contributions.
PGA Tour’s Web.com Tour event celebrated their 22nd annual Open at Le Triomphe in Broussard, LA. The Chitimacha Louisiana Open has contributed over $2 million over the past decade to local and regional charities and over $4.2 million since its inception. “Given the rocky economy, the contributions are quite good. However, would like to get back where we were only a few short years ago where we were donating a quarter-million dollars each year,” stated Danny Jones, Open Executive Director.
Chitimacha Louisiana Open continues to grow even with the recent economic downturn. The group’s primary goal is to raise as many charity dollars as possible to make a positive impact on the community. The Open awarded over $152,000 last year to 50 groups, so this year’s total is an increase over 2012 and it is a welcomed contribution to many local and regional charities. “All of these charities are working and generating their own funds so it’s not like we’re just giving them a check. The Open is a great way to help fund these charities to continue their good work,” commented Jones. “We have incredible volunteers who make the Open possible and most of these groups were involved in the staging of the tournament in some capacity,” Jones continued.
The Chitimacha Louisiana Open and Web.com Tour have officially wrapped up the first year of their multi-year partnership. “We got to see the impact of our new partnership with Web.com and the difference we’re making,” stated Jones after he and Tribal Chairman, John Darden, distributed checks from the Open and other events conducted during the year.
Groups wishing to get involved may contact the Louisiana Open office at (337) 593-8000.
- VIDEO: Web.com Tour player Peter Malnati's special friendship with a young cancer survivor 09/16/2014
- VIDEO: Brendon Todd visits East Lake's Drew Charter School during TOUR Championship 09/10/2014
- Web.com Tour Wives give back through “Fill the Cart with Fun” campaign 09/10/2014
- Andrade, Cink contribute to East Lake's success story 09/09/2014
- Chris Wilson kicks off campaign in support of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation 09/09/2014
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014