Arnold Palmer delivers 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (via golf cart) in Winston-Salem, NC
October 18, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – World Golf Hall of Fame member and Wake Forest University alum, Arnold Palmer, delivered the 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (MOW) meal on behalf of Senior Services to a North Carolina senior, on Friday, October 18.
"The King" arrived at Ms. Juanita McBride’s house in a golf cart accompanied by Dan Kinney, a long-time MOW volunteer, to deliver Ms. McBride's lunch of pork loin, lima beans, mandarin oranges, sweet potato casserole, dinner roll and milk. A small group of supporters including staff and board members of Senior Services and Meals-on-Wheels volunteers were on hand to celebrate the milestone.
The delivery of the 5 millionth MOW meal by 84-year-old Mr. Palmer to 84-year-old Ms. McBride marks the start of a senior boom in Forsyth County as Baby Boomers age into this demographic, and serves to highlight the growing issue of food insecurity among seniors in Forsyth County.
“It took Meals-on-Wheels 51 years from its inception in 1962 to deliver five million meals, but it may take less than four years to deliver the next one million given the expected senior boom,” said Richard Gottlieb, President and CEO of Senior Services. “This will challenge our human and financial resources to meet the exploding demand for serving the hungry seniors in our community.
According to statistics from Feeding America, a conservative estimate of 11,000 individuals age 60 and older experience food insecurity in Forsyth County on a regular basis.
Meals-on-Wheels of Seniors Services, Inc. is the oldest home-delivered meals program in the southeast and the third oldest in the nation. For more information, please visit seniorservicesinc.org.
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am announces 2017 philanthropic partners 01/30/2017