Arnold Palmer delivers 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (via golf cart) in Winston-Salem, NC
October 18, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – World Golf Hall of Fame member and Wake Forest University alum, Arnold Palmer, delivered the 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (MOW) meal on behalf of Senior Services to a North Carolina senior, on Friday, October 18.
"The King" arrived at Ms. Juanita McBride’s house in a golf cart accompanied by Dan Kinney, a long-time MOW volunteer, to deliver Ms. McBride's lunch of pork loin, lima beans, mandarin oranges, sweet potato casserole, dinner roll and milk. A small group of supporters including staff and board members of Senior Services and Meals-on-Wheels volunteers were on hand to celebrate the milestone.
The delivery of the 5 millionth MOW meal by 84-year-old Mr. Palmer to 84-year-old Ms. McBride marks the start of a senior boom in Forsyth County as Baby Boomers age into this demographic, and serves to highlight the growing issue of food insecurity among seniors in Forsyth County.
“It took Meals-on-Wheels 51 years from its inception in 1962 to deliver five million meals, but it may take less than four years to deliver the next one million given the expected senior boom,” said Richard Gottlieb, President and CEO of Senior Services. “This will challenge our human and financial resources to meet the exploding demand for serving the hungry seniors in our community.
According to statistics from Feeding America, a conservative estimate of 11,000 individuals age 60 and older experience food insecurity in Forsyth County on a regular basis.
Meals-on-Wheels of Seniors Services, Inc. is the oldest home-delivered meals program in the southeast and the third oldest in the nation. For more information, please visit seniorservicesinc.org.
- Watson's car nets $410K for Birdies for the Brave 01/19/2015
- Hunter Mahan to 'putt a painting' for NADA benefit 01/16/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives Classic set for Jan. 27 at Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/15/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players visit Greenville Shriners Hospital 01/15/2015
- College of the Ozarks named 2014 Champions Tour Charity of the Year 01/14/2015
- Bubba Watson puts classic car on Barrett-Jackson's auction block for charity 01/09/2015
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions serves as vehicle for charity 01/09/2015
- Evans Scholars Foundation surpasses 10,000 alumni 01/08/2015
- Humana Challenge partners with Loma Linda University Children's Hospital 01/06/2015
- McGladrey Classic announces over $930k raised for charity in 2014 01/06/2015