Arnold Palmer delivers 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (via golf cart) in Winston-Salem, NC
October 18, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – World Golf Hall of Fame member and Wake Forest University alum, Arnold Palmer, delivered the 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (MOW) meal on behalf of Senior Services to a North Carolina senior, on Friday, October 18.
"The King" arrived at Ms. Juanita McBride’s house in a golf cart accompanied by Dan Kinney, a long-time MOW volunteer, to deliver Ms. McBride's lunch of pork loin, lima beans, mandarin oranges, sweet potato casserole, dinner roll and milk. A small group of supporters including staff and board members of Senior Services and Meals-on-Wheels volunteers were on hand to celebrate the milestone.
The delivery of the 5 millionth MOW meal by 84-year-old Mr. Palmer to 84-year-old Ms. McBride marks the start of a senior boom in Forsyth County as Baby Boomers age into this demographic, and serves to highlight the growing issue of food insecurity among seniors in Forsyth County.
“It took Meals-on-Wheels 51 years from its inception in 1962 to deliver five million meals, but it may take less than four years to deliver the next one million given the expected senior boom,” said Richard Gottlieb, President and CEO of Senior Services. “This will challenge our human and financial resources to meet the exploding demand for serving the hungry seniors in our community.
According to statistics from Feeding America, a conservative estimate of 11,000 individuals age 60 and older experience food insecurity in Forsyth County on a regular basis.
Meals-on-Wheels of Seniors Services, Inc. is the oldest home-delivered meals program in the southeast and the third oldest in the nation. For more information, please visit seniorservicesinc.org.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015