Arnold Palmer delivers 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (via golf cart) in Winston-Salem, NC
October 18, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – World Golf Hall of Fame member and Wake Forest University alum, Arnold Palmer, delivered the 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (MOW) meal on behalf of Senior Services to a North Carolina senior, on Friday, October 18.
"The King" arrived at Ms. Juanita McBride’s house in a golf cart accompanied by Dan Kinney, a long-time MOW volunteer, to deliver Ms. McBride's lunch of pork loin, lima beans, mandarin oranges, sweet potato casserole, dinner roll and milk. A small group of supporters including staff and board members of Senior Services and Meals-on-Wheels volunteers were on hand to celebrate the milestone.
The delivery of the 5 millionth MOW meal by 84-year-old Mr. Palmer to 84-year-old Ms. McBride marks the start of a senior boom in Forsyth County as Baby Boomers age into this demographic, and serves to highlight the growing issue of food insecurity among seniors in Forsyth County.
“It took Meals-on-Wheels 51 years from its inception in 1962 to deliver five million meals, but it may take less than four years to deliver the next one million given the expected senior boom,” said Richard Gottlieb, President and CEO of Senior Services. “This will challenge our human and financial resources to meet the exploding demand for serving the hungry seniors in our community.
According to statistics from Feeding America, a conservative estimate of 11,000 individuals age 60 and older experience food insecurity in Forsyth County on a regular basis.
Meals-on-Wheels of Seniors Services, Inc. is the oldest home-delivered meals program in the southeast and the third oldest in the nation. For more information, please visit seniorservicesinc.org.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open sets new charity record with over $9 million raised in 2015 10/09/2015
- 2015 Travelers Championship generates more than $1.56 million for charity 10/08/2015
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015