Arnold Palmer delivers 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (via golf cart) in Winston-Salem, NC
October 18, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – World Golf Hall of Fame member and Wake Forest University alum, Arnold Palmer, delivered the 5 millionth Meals-on-Wheels (MOW) meal on behalf of Senior Services to a North Carolina senior, on Friday, October 18.
"The King" arrived at Ms. Juanita McBride’s house in a golf cart accompanied by Dan Kinney, a long-time MOW volunteer, to deliver Ms. McBride's lunch of pork loin, lima beans, mandarin oranges, sweet potato casserole, dinner roll and milk. A small group of supporters including staff and board members of Senior Services and Meals-on-Wheels volunteers were on hand to celebrate the milestone.
The delivery of the 5 millionth MOW meal by 84-year-old Mr. Palmer to 84-year-old Ms. McBride marks the start of a senior boom in Forsyth County as Baby Boomers age into this demographic, and serves to highlight the growing issue of food insecurity among seniors in Forsyth County.
“It took Meals-on-Wheels 51 years from its inception in 1962 to deliver five million meals, but it may take less than four years to deliver the next one million given the expected senior boom,” said Richard Gottlieb, President and CEO of Senior Services. “This will challenge our human and financial resources to meet the exploding demand for serving the hungry seniors in our community.
According to statistics from Feeding America, a conservative estimate of 11,000 individuals age 60 and older experience food insecurity in Forsyth County on a regular basis.
Meals-on-Wheels of Seniors Services, Inc. is the oldest home-delivered meals program in the southeast and the third oldest in the nation. For more information, please visit seniorservicesinc.org.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015