Wendy’s Walk for Kids distributes largest charitable donation to date
November 21, 2013
ENDICOTT, NY- Representatives from local children’s charity organizations assembled today to receive $245,370 in donations from the 2013 Wendy’s Walk for Kids. The fifth annual charity event was held in August at the DICK’S Sporting Goods Open.
“Through the success of the Wendy’s Walk for Kids fundraising efforts, we surpassed our goal for 2013,” said event co-founder and local Wendy’s franchisee, Anne Williams. “Each year, we’ve been able to increase the amount of assistance provided to local children’s programs who are the foundation on building a more valuable and resilient future for the youth of Broome County.”
The total contribution is derived from three sources. $225,000 was raised from the core fundraising events hosted year round. $19,370 was raised as a result of the “Play with a Pro” squeeze ball promotion, which took place before the Tim McGraw concert at the Dick's Sporting Goods Open. Additionally, a $1,000 bonus will be given to the charity that raised the greatest amount of money.
"On behalf of our players, I want to congratulate the Wendy's Walk for Kids on an outstanding year," said Champions Tour President Mike Stevens. "To see our 2012 Charity of the Year recipient further increase their charitable donations through one of our best events, the DICK’S Sporting Goods Open, is truly inspiring. We look forward to working with them in 2014 to further enhance this great cause."
Since its inception in 2009, the Wendy’s Walk for Kids has donated over $700,000 to local charities. With its tremendous growth, from 150 walkers in 2009 to over 780 walkers in 2013, this year the Wendy’s Walk for Kids will exceed their highest contribution by nearly $50,000. While the walk at the DICK’S Sporting Goods Open is the signature event of the organization, year-round fundraisers also contributed to the $245,000 being distributed to this year’s charities.
The money received today will be put to excellent use in the community. Mom’s House will put the donation towards their mission of providing free quality childcare to low-income, single parents pursing their academic goals. The Handicapped Children’s Association will be using the money to enhance all of their programs, including preschool, clinic, and residential services. The Broome County Urban League plans to focus their funds on providing support and essential services to effectively meet the needs of our community’s most vulnerable children, youth and families and to enable minorities and the urban poor to secure economic self-reliance, parity and civil rights.
President and CEO of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, Rita Soronen stated, “The Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption is so very grateful to be included in this amazing fundraising effort for children. The funds dedicated to the foundation from the Wendy’s Walk for Kids are focused on children waiting to be adopted from foster care in the Binghamton area through our signature program, Wendy’s Wonderful Kids.”
The 2014 Wendy’s Walk for Kids will be held on Sunday, August 17 during the final round of the DICK’S Sporting Goods Open. In addition to the Dave Thomas Foundation, the 2014 recipients include ACHIEVE, Binghamton Jewish Community Center, and the Food Bank of the Southern Tier. The Wendy’s Walk for Kids welcomes everyone in the community to join them in 2014. For more information, please visit WendysWalk.com.
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016