THE PLAYERS Championship raises a record $7.1 million for charities in 2013
November 14, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla – At a celebration tonight honoring the volunteer leadership of THE PLAYERS Championship, PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem announced that $7.1 million was generated for local charities from the 2013 tournament, eclipsing last year’s record-breaking total of $6.5 million.
The money generated by THE PLAYERS each year benefits more than 300 charities throughout Northeast Florida, totaling nearly $60 million in charitable giving since the event moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in 1977. The substantial increases over the past few years is attributed to a growing, dedicated fan base, support from PwC – the event’s Proud Partner, the tireless and selfless efforts of the tournament’s volunteer force and the entire Northeast Florida community.
The announcement was made during THE PLAYERS Volunteer Leadership Appreciation Party hosted by Commissioner Finchem on the Presentation Lawn of the TPC Sawgrass Clubhouse.The event is part of a series of activities during THE PLAYERS 2013 Giving Back Month designed to highlight the work of the many charitable organizations in Northeast Florida that benefit from the tournament. Guests at tonight’s Volunteer Leadership Appreciation Party cheered as a 35-by-12 foot banner bearing the $7.1 million news was unfurled from the TPC Sawgrass upper balcony when Finchem made the announcement.
“It is a privilege each year to help celebrate the tremendous impact THE PLAYERS Championship has and will continue to have on improving the lives of our Northeast Florida neighbors, many of whom are children and youth,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “The record amount generated in 2013 is a testament to the commitment and dedication of our volunteers, and I’m pleased we were able to make the announcement tonight as part of their leadership celebration.Everyone involved with THE PLAYERS 2013 should be very proud of this milestone.”
“Being a part of THE PLAYERS in May was certainly a thrill, but it pales in comparison to seeing that number tonight and knowing that all of our hard work is going to make such a difference in this community,” said 2013 Volunteer Chairman Robert Davis. “For our volunteer leadership, tonight’s announcement is so rewarding and something we will never forget, and we know it comes because of the tremendous support of the entire Northeast Florida community. On behalf of the 2,000-plus men, women and children who volunteer their time to THE PLAYERS each year, we can’t thank this community enough for supporting the tournament and helping us all further THE PLAYERS charitable mission.”
Much of the $7.1 million generated from THE PLAYERS 2013 benefits local children’s charities, in line with the event’s committed goal to generate $50 million for youth-related charities over 10 years. The event is dedicated to making a significant financial impact on local non-profits that promote youth education, health and wellness, and character development. To date, more than $17 million has been raised toward that goal.
THE PLAYERS is set to return to THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, May 6-11, 2014.More information about THE PLAYERS is available at PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017