Fred Funk visits Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville, presents $10,000 donation from THE PLAYERS
November 5, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – THE PLAYERS Championship kicked off its annual Giving Back Month at Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville with special guest, Fred Funk and a very special surprise donation. The Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville received $10,000 thanks to THE PLAYERS Championship 2013. Since 1977, THE PLAYERS Championship has generated more than $52.8 million that has benefitted more than 300 charities throughout Northeast Florida.
The visit included a Thanksgiving-style dinner served by past tournament chairmen – the Red Coats – as well as a PLAYERS-themed gift basket for each family. The evening was capped off with a surprise $10,000 donation to the Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville from THE PLAYERS. Funk was accompanied by 2013 Tournament Chairman, Robert Davis as well as several other Red Coats and Executive Director, Matt Rapp.
“The Red Coats look forward to Giving Back Month all year, it is one of our favorite parts of being involved with the tournament,” said Robert Davis, 2013 Tournament Chairman. “Getting out in the community and seeing what a difference the donations make for so many local organizations is a great reminder of why we work so hard all year round for the tournament.”
“It’s humbling to say the least. To be here and to see what these families go through, it’s pretty special to be a small part in giving back,” Funk said. “To see the kids’ attitudes and the parents’ attitudes, knowing the battle they are going through, is truly touching. THE PLAYERS Championship does an amazing job making an impact in this community. It is an honor to be a part of the PGA TOUR’s commitment to charity and to kick off Giving Back Month for THE PLAYERS here in North Florida.”
November is Giving Back Month for THE PLAYERS Championship. Each week in November THE PLAYERS will highlight a local charity to create awareness around the event’s impact and the charities which do so much in North Florida. Since the tournament’s inception, THE PLAYERS Championship has generated more than $52 million for local charities. In 2012, THE PLAYERS generated a record $6.5 million for Northeast Florida charities.
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville, a longtime beneficiary of THE PLAYERS funding, supports the health and well-being of children by providing lodging and other services for critically ill, chronically ill and seriously injured children and their families. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the Jacksonville Ronald McDonald House has offered support and temporary lodging to more than 32,500 families while their sick or injured children have received medical care at Jacksonville’s excellent hospitals and clinics.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017