Fred Funk visits Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville, presents $10,000 donation from THE PLAYERS
November 5, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – THE PLAYERS Championship kicked off its annual Giving Back Month at Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville with special guest, Fred Funk and a very special surprise donation. The Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville received $10,000 thanks to THE PLAYERS Championship 2013. Since 1977, THE PLAYERS Championship has generated more than $52.8 million that has benefitted more than 300 charities throughout Northeast Florida.
The visit included a Thanksgiving-style dinner served by past tournament chairmen – the Red Coats – as well as a PLAYERS-themed gift basket for each family. The evening was capped off with a surprise $10,000 donation to the Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville from THE PLAYERS. Funk was accompanied by 2013 Tournament Chairman, Robert Davis as well as several other Red Coats and Executive Director, Matt Rapp.
“The Red Coats look forward to Giving Back Month all year, it is one of our favorite parts of being involved with the tournament,” said Robert Davis, 2013 Tournament Chairman. “Getting out in the community and seeing what a difference the donations make for so many local organizations is a great reminder of why we work so hard all year round for the tournament.”
“It’s humbling to say the least. To be here and to see what these families go through, it’s pretty special to be a small part in giving back,” Funk said. “To see the kids’ attitudes and the parents’ attitudes, knowing the battle they are going through, is truly touching. THE PLAYERS Championship does an amazing job making an impact in this community. It is an honor to be a part of the PGA TOUR’s commitment to charity and to kick off Giving Back Month for THE PLAYERS here in North Florida.”
November is Giving Back Month for THE PLAYERS Championship. Each week in November THE PLAYERS will highlight a local charity to create awareness around the event’s impact and the charities which do so much in North Florida. Since the tournament’s inception, THE PLAYERS Championship has generated more than $52 million for local charities. In 2012, THE PLAYERS generated a record $6.5 million for Northeast Florida charities.
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Jacksonville, a longtime beneficiary of THE PLAYERS funding, supports the health and well-being of children by providing lodging and other services for critically ill, chronically ill and seriously injured children and their families. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the Jacksonville Ronald McDonald House has offered support and temporary lodging to more than 32,500 families while their sick or injured children have received medical care at Jacksonville’s excellent hospitals and clinics.
- Meet Zurich Classic of New Orleans volunteer extraordinaire Kevin Block 04/28/2017
- ISPS HANDA World Cup of Golf donates $700,000 to The Handa Foundation 04/28/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017