2013 Shell Houston Open announces $2.28 million charity donation
November 1, 2013
HOUSTON– Tournament officials announced today that proceeds of $2,287,000 from the PGA TOUR's 2013 Shell Houston Open and the Houston Golf Association’s other golf-related activities is now at work in our community.
This is the 20th consecutive year the tournament has generated more than a million dollars for local worthy causes. It elevates the community impact dollar total to more than $59.7 million since 1974.
Shell Oil Company president Marvin Odum and Houston Golf Association president Steve Timms jointly made the announcement at a luncheon at One Shell Plaza. The City of Houston also officially proclaimed Friday, November 1, 2013 as Shell Houston Open – A Chance for Children Day. “The ongoing success of the youth development programs affiliated with the tournament is a key reason we are so proud of the Shell Houston Open” said Odum.
HGA, a 501c (3) non-profit organization, has been promoting golf in the region since 1946. It has been funding local youth-development programs and charitable organizations since 1974.
“We measure our success by being able to positively impact the lives of young people,” said Timms. “Our supporters, sponsors and volunteers all share this view and are squarely behind our mission to do more for our community.”
Shell Oil Company has been title sponsor of Houston’s PGA TOUR event since 1992. During that 22-year partnership with Shell, more than 94% ($56,086,848) of the total funding has been generated. Shell’s title-sponsorship agreement with the PGA TOUR and HGA runs through the 2017 event.
A part of the overall funding goes to HGA Youth Programs, which include an academic scholarship program as well as The First Tee of Greater Houston chapter, which will reach more than 122,000 young people 2013-14, and HGA Junior Golf. More than200 additional worthy causes and non-profit organizations also received donations or gifts-in-kind.
Shell Houston Open ongoing beneficiaries, which annually supply volunteers for the tournament, are Chinquapin Prep (since 1979) and Cenikor Foundation, Inc., (since 1996). Timms also announced that beginning in 2014 Project Joy and Hope of Pasadena, TX would join the group of ongoing beneficiaries.
The 2014 Shell Houston Open will be played the week of March 31-April 6 at Redstone Golf Club's Tournament Course. D.A. Points is defending champion.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016
- CareerBuilder Challenge volunteer John Hamaliuk donates $10,000 to Boys & Girls Club through PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 03/30/2016