Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015
- Two real-life superheroes meet at the Wells Fargo Championship 05/13/2015