Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016