Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Evansville Community Benefits from Web.com Tour Event 04/27/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016