Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- Web.com Tour Wives support "Stuff a Caddy for Kids" during United Leasing Championship 04/30/2015
- Wells Fargo donates $1 million to The First Tee 04/27/2015
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015