Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016
- Furyk Foundation provides Hope for the Holidays in North Florida 12/13/2016