Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort
May 22, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Two PGA TOUR pros with ties to the state of Oklahoma have joined in the charitable effort to raise relief funds for the tornado victims in Moore, Okla.
Rickie Fowler, in conjunction with an initiative from one of his corporate sponsors, Crowne Plaza, plans to match the funds -- up to $100,000 -- donated by fans during this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
Fowler grew up in California but went to school at Oklahoma State. He did not know anybody personally in Moore, the hardest hit town on Monday, but he wants to help.
"It's a great part of the country and it is always going to be a part of who I am," Fowler said. "...Once you have been in Oklahoma, it's a part of you. You feel like you're part of the whole state."
Another former Oklahoma State player, Hunter Mahan, also planning to donate money not only for relief efforts in Oklahoma but also in Texas. A tornado hit surrounding counties outside the Dallas-Fort Worth area last week. Mahan lives in the area.
"People need so much right now," Mahan said. "It's crazy to think what the people are going through right now."
- Encompass Championship Charities to focus on youth in 2014 03/14/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives bring color, cheer to Habitat build during Valspar Championship 03/13/2014
- VIDEO: The Gmac Foundation, Aer Lingus grant young cardiac patients a trip of a lifetime 03/13/2014
- Team UCLA prevails in Toshiba Classic’s UCLA-USC Skills Challenge 03/13/2014
- Hotel Fitness Championship pro-ams to benefit Mad Anthonys, Evans Scholars Foundation 03/13/2014
- Darius Rucker to headline 2014 Furyk & Friends Concert and Celebrity Golf Classic 03/12/2014
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave give back to wounded heroes at the Valspar Championship 03/12/2014
- Gary Player joins PHIT America's fight against inactivity, obesity 03/11/2014
- Seventh annual Stater Bros. Charities Dave Stockton Heroes Challenge tees off March 10 03/07/2014
- PHOTOS: Chile Classic's DEBRA Foundation dinner 03/07/2014