Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Jacksonville community receives 'dream' playground 04/14/2014
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS Championship 17th Hole Charity Challenge 04/14/2014
- PGA TOUR Superstore announces $5,000 grant to The First Tee of Greater Rockford 04/04/2014
- Inaugural Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs to benefit youth 04/03/2014
- Donate Life America's "Play Through with Erik Compton" enters third year 04/03/2014
- Notah Begay to host charity golf tournament 04/03/2014
- Erik Compton: Matters of the Heart 04/02/2014
- Humana invites walkers to make every stride count with new program powered by charity miles 04/01/2014
- Gary Player Invitational charity event set for April 13-14 in Augusta, Georgia 04/01/2014
- Over $2.8 million generated for San Diego community through 2014 Farmers Insurance Open 04/01/2014