Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Waste Management Phoenix Open sets new charity record with over $9 million raised in 2015 10/09/2015
- 2015 Travelers Championship generates more than $1.56 million for charity 10/08/2015
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015