Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Molder hits the runway at Halo Animal Rescue's 'Players and Pets' event 01/28/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives Classic at the Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/28/2015
- Watson's car nets $410K for Birdies for the Brave 01/19/2015
- Hunter Mahan to 'putt a painting' for NADA benefit 01/16/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives Classic set for Jan. 27 at Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/15/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players visit Greenville Shriners Hospital 01/15/2015
- College of the Ozarks named 2014 Champions Tour Charity of the Year 01/14/2015
- Bubba Watson puts classic car on Barrett-Jackson's auction block for charity 01/09/2015
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions serves as vehicle for charity 01/09/2015
- Evans Scholars Foundation surpasses 10,000 alumni 01/08/2015