Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016
- Phil Mickelson, Stacy Lewis support literacy through KPMG's 'Blue for Books' program 09/01/2016