Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015
- Wyndham Championship supports local Piedmont Triad community during tournament week 08/18/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence opens its doors to students 08/17/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives team with PGA of America spouses, Kohler to promote literacy 08/13/2015
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives team with Habitat for Humanity to spruce up Missouri community 08/12/2015
- Champions Tour players energize youth at Shaw Charity Classic 08/10/2015