Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013