Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am announces 2017 philanthropic partners 01/30/2017