Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015