Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Shaw Communications announces campaign to benefit Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation 07/25/2014
- BMW Championship exhibition raises $45,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 07/24/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives partner with Midwest Classic to create "Camp Quality Baskets" 07/23/2014
- Jarrod Lyle: A survivor seeking to help others 07/22/2014
- Fred Couples joins Snoqualmie Showdown charity event on August 4 07/22/2014
- Darren Clarke receives Golf Foundation's ‘Spirit of Golf’ award 07/21/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee visits The Greenbrier Classic 07/17/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour players shop for charity during Albertsons Boise Open 07/17/2014
- WATCH: Zach Johnson on his annual charity event benefitting Kids on Course 07/15/2014
- WATCH: Jay Haas, William McGirt talk about The Blade Junior Classic 07/15/2014