Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims
May 22, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Like many people, Charlie Beljan has a few golden rules. High on his list is never calling home any place where a natural disaster could take everything he owned. While he wasn’t at home in Lake Grapevine last week for the HP Byron Nelson Championship, but for a week, it was home to Charlie, his wife and their eight-month old son when Mother Nature did strike. A series of tornadoes touched down a mere eight miles from where the Beljan family staged their motor home during the stay.
“I’ve never been close to anything like that before,” Beljan recalled. “The wind was howling, we had no weather reports because I had to bring my satellite dish for the television down. I had no idea if we were going to get hit. It was just too close. We were downright scared.”
Fortunately for Charlie and his family, the twister spared them. It didn’t, however, leave others as lucky.
The tragedy in Moore, Okla. has consumed the attention of the vast majority of the country of late, understandably so. Beljan, however, wants to place his focus and efforts on Texas, where the need for help is also tremendous. It’s not home to him, but to those who welcomed him to town last week, it absolutely is. He was too close to not reach out.
To assist with The Red Cross with relief efforts in Texas, Beljan will donate $100 for each birdie and $1,000 for each eagle he makes in this week’s Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. An additional $10,000 will be given for a top-10 finish.
“I just love the state of Texas,” Beljan said. “I have family in Houston and a lot of friends in Dallas. This just seemed like a no-brainer to me. It’s something I feel very strongly about.”
- Paul Casey Foundation committed to helping young people through sports 06/30/2015
- Compton's chance encounter with donor's aunt 06/25/2015
- DeLaet Foundation's 'Graham Slam' charity event set for July 9 06/24/2015
- Graham DeLaet wins $10K for charity from Travelers at The Umbrella at 15 ½ Challenge 06/24/2015
- VIDEO: Military moms treated to special baby shower at Travelers Championship 06/24/2015
- PGA TOUR players team up with RBC for online charity challenge 06/23/2015
- Chevron, Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic partner on contribution to Excel By 5 06/19/2015
- VIDEO: The Davis Love Foundation gives back 06/16/2015
- FedEx donates $1M to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 06/11/2015
- 6-year-old boy to play 100 holes for cancer fundraiser 06/11/2015