Stadion Classic at UGA’s Steve McGrath named 2012 Web.com Tour Volunteer of the Year
March 26, 2013
ATHENS, Ga. / PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The Web.com Tour has selected Steve McGrath of the Stadion Classic at UGA as the recipient of the Tour’s 2012 Volunteer of the Year Award, it was announced today by the PGA TOUR.
McGrath has served the past four years as the Co-Chairman of Volunteer Coordination for the Stadion Classic at UGA, a Web.com Tour event that has been played at the UGA Golf
Course since 2010. McGrath helps oversee a team of nearly 500 volunteers who play various roles during the tournament, including admission, walking scorers, transportation, standard bearers, marshals and tournament office support.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed working the tournament the past four years for many reasons,” McGrath said. “The greatest reason is you meet so many super people and make some lasting friendships. The award really is the tournament/volunteers award as the total group of more than 475 men and women last year is what made the event such a success.”
The Web.com Tour selected McGrath for the award among its 10,000-plus volunteers from last year’s tournaments around the country. McGrath was presented his award at the Volunteer Committee dinner on Tuesday, March 19 at Hilltop Grille in Athens.
“We congratulate Steve on winning the Web.com Tour Volunteer of the Year award,” said Web.com Tour president Bill Calfee. “It is a great pleasure for our staff and players to be associated with an individual who is so dedicated and contributes so much to the success of the Stadion Classic at UGA. People like Steve are the heart and soul of the Web.com Tour and are among the primary reasons Tour events are able to support the UGA Foundation and other worthy causes in Athens as well as charities in all the other communities we visit.”
“Steve is great to work with because he brings a smile to your face each time you see him,” said Keith Wenrich, another Co-Chairman of Volunteer Coordination. “He always has a great story to tell you and will make you feel like you’re part of his family. He is very dedicated to his job and will never ask you to do something that he wouldn’t do himself. Steve is always one of the first people at the course in the morning to ensure everything was starting off right. He provides an extra level of comfort for all of the tournament staff. If a call comes in on the radio, Steve is the first person to address the situation and come up with several alternatives to help out.”
The 2013 Stadion Classic at UGA will be played May 2-5 at the UGA Golf Course.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016
- CareerBuilder Challenge volunteer John Hamaliuk donates $10,000 to Boys & Girls Club through PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 03/30/2016