Farmers Insurance Open raises over $400,000 through 2013 Birdies for Charity program
March 15, 2013
SAN DIEGO-- Farmers Insurance and the Century Club of San Diego, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization and host of the PGA TOUR’s Farmers Insurance Open, will recognize all eight participating Birdies for Charity organizations on Monday, March 18 at the Hall of Champions (2121 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101) at the 2013 “Birdies Breakfast”.
2013 was the first year that the nationally recognized program was brought to the Farmers Insurance Open, and in its inaugural year at the tournament, generated nearly $420,000 for the participating youth organizations through pledges and donations along with a $125,000 bonus fund provided by Farmers Insurance and the Century Club of San Diego.
"Farmers is extremely proud to be a part of the San Diego Community,” said Chuck Browning, Farmers Insurance VP of Sponsorship and Corporate Giving. “We're honored to be a part of a tremendous golf tournament like the Farmers Insurance Open, but we're even more excited to partner with the Century Club and make a huge difference for eight great charities. We congratulate everyone involved on a job well done."
The program began in September of 2012 and ran through the 2013 tournament. During this time the participating charities solicited pledges from individuals and corporations who support their organization. From there, the pledges were applied to every birdie made during the tournament. This year, PGA TOUR professionals made 1,560 birdies during the 2013 Farmers Insurance Open. The Birdies For Charity program is active in approximately 20 PGA TOUR communities in the U.S., all using PGA TOUR events as the platform.
“In its first year, the results exceeded our expectations. We are very pleased to have introduced such a successful fundraising vehicle to these important youth charities in our community,“ offered Century Club President, Jeff Baglio. “We are equally as proud of the exposure we were able to these charities and their missions through our PGA TOUR event.”
The following participating charities will receive the proceeds from their pledges and donations, as well as their bonus fund proceeds this Monday: The Monarch School, Pruess School, Pro Kids Golf / The First Tee San Diego, San Diego Armed Services YMCA, San Diego Center For Children, San Diego Junior Golf Association, San Diego Youth Services, and Voices For Children.
The 2013 Farmers Insurance Open was played January 21-28 at Torrey Pines Golf Course. Tiger Woods captured his first PGA TOUR victory of 2013, his 75th PGA TOUR victory and eighth victory at Torrey Pines with a final score of (-14, 274). For more informantion, please visit FarmersInsuranceOpen.com
- Waste Management Phoenix Open sets new charity record with over $9 million raised in 2015 10/09/2015
- 2015 Travelers Championship generates more than $1.56 million for charity 10/08/2015
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015