Erik Compton receives honor from Donate Life America
March 11, 2013
RICMOND, VA – As part of the “20 Million in 2012” campaign to register 20 million new people to state organ, eye and tissue donor registries this year, Donate Life America worked with state affiliates to present more than 50 Donate Life Champion awards to well-known athletes, teams and other role models within the sports community who have demonstrated remarkable support for organ, eye and tissue donation.
PGA TOUR player and two-time heart transplant recipient Erik Compton was presented with the Donate Life Champion award on March 11 by Donate Life America president and CEO David Fleming. Compton received the award during the Transplant Foundation’s annual Erik Compton Golf Classic in Coral Gables, FL for his work on the Play Through with Erik Compton program, which aims to raise organ donation awareness. The award is presented to role models in the sports community who have made a difference inspiring others through their support for organ donation.
"It’s a special feeling to know all the work we're doing (to raise awareness about organ donation) can have an impact on people lives," said Compton. "It’s a great honor to receive an award (Donate Life Champion Award) for representing the transplant community."
More than 115,000 Americans are currently waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant. By working with sports figures and their loyal fans, Donate Life America hopes to radically increase the number of registered donors.
Fans of sports figures are encouraged to join their state donor registry in their honor, to be known as a FanForLife. Each FanForLife has the potential to save up to 8 lives through organ donation and improve the quality of life for up to 50 people through eye and tissue donation. To join your state registry visit www.donatelifeamerica.org.
- Shaw Communications announces $1 million donation to first official charity partner of Shaw Charity Classic 06/18/2013
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes donates $80,000 to Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 06/14/2013
- Marathon of Miracles declares June 'National Golf To End Cancer Month' 06/14/2013
- Nancy Lopez to host free golf clinic in conjunction with Dick's Sporting Goods Open 06/13/2013
- Celebrities come out in support of Children’s of Alabama during Regions Tradition 06/13/2013
- PGA TOUR players bring their game to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/06/2013
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS: A week of giving back 06/06/2013
- Operation Purple Eagle Plane lands at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/05/2013
- Regions Tradition names Rick Alvis Volunteer of the Year 06/03/2013
- Principal Charity Classic donates specialized bike to physically-challenged boy 05/31/2013