Chevron Brings Kid-Friendly STEM Zone to Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic
March 25, 2013
By PGA TOUR Staff
One of the unique things at this year’s Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic was the Chevron STEM Zone, a kid-friendly exhibit at Fallen Oak which used a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education to make those disciplines fun for children.
The STEM Zone featured multiple stations where youngsters could learn about the science of golf, including speed versus slope, gravity and aerodynamics. It also had a fully-equipped mock-studio (including teleprompters and a green screen) for students to learn about broadcasting and media technology.
The STEM Zone also had activities specifically geared toward children up to five-years-old, where they could enjoy a putting area, book nook and sorting games.
Chevron hosted more than 500 Mississippi school children in the STEM Zone as part of the company's ongoing commitment to invest in education and economic development.
Chevron, in partnership with the MGRC, also made a $25,000 contribution to Excel By 5, a community-based certification designed to improve a child's overall well-being by age five that is currently in place in 24 communities.
- The First Tee of the Triad, PGA TOUR player Johnson Wagner, Salute 2016 Award Winners, ACE Graduates 12/02/2016
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016