Chevron Brings Kid-Friendly STEM Zone to Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic
March 25, 2013
By PGA TOUR Staff
One of the unique things at this year’s Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic was the Chevron STEM Zone, a kid-friendly exhibit at Fallen Oak which used a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education to make those disciplines fun for children.
The STEM Zone featured multiple stations where youngsters could learn about the science of golf, including speed versus slope, gravity and aerodynamics. It also had a fully-equipped mock-studio (including teleprompters and a green screen) for students to learn about broadcasting and media technology.
The STEM Zone also had activities specifically geared toward children up to five-years-old, where they could enjoy a putting area, book nook and sorting games.
Chevron hosted more than 500 Mississippi school children in the STEM Zone as part of the company's ongoing commitment to invest in education and economic development.
Chevron, in partnership with the MGRC, also made a $25,000 contribution to Excel By 5, a community-based certification designed to improve a child's overall well-being by age five that is currently in place in 24 communities.
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015
- Two real-life superheroes meet at the Wells Fargo Championship 05/13/2015