Chevron Brings Kid-Friendly STEM Zone to Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic
March 25, 2013
By PGA TOUR Staff
One of the unique things at this year’s Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic was the Chevron STEM Zone, a kid-friendly exhibit at Fallen Oak which used a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education to make those disciplines fun for children.
The STEM Zone featured multiple stations where youngsters could learn about the science of golf, including speed versus slope, gravity and aerodynamics. It also had a fully-equipped mock-studio (including teleprompters and a green screen) for students to learn about broadcasting and media technology.
The STEM Zone also had activities specifically geared toward children up to five-years-old, where they could enjoy a putting area, book nook and sorting games.
Chevron hosted more than 500 Mississippi school children in the STEM Zone as part of the company's ongoing commitment to invest in education and economic development.
Chevron, in partnership with the MGRC, also made a $25,000 contribution to Excel By 5, a community-based certification designed to improve a child's overall well-being by age five that is currently in place in 24 communities.
- PHOTOS: Chile Classic's DEBRA Foundation dinner 03/07/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship to provide free military admission 03/07/2014
- Seventh annual Stater Bros. Charities Dave Stockton Heroes Challenge tees off March 10 03/07/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee arrives in Chile 03/05/2014
- Young brain cancer survivor treated to a special day at the WGC-Cadillac Championship 03/05/2014
- The Jake raises record $2.2 million to support the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation 03/05/2014
- Barkley, Bean, Bryant and Friends Celebrity Skins Game raises over $150,000 for The First Tee 03/04/2014
- The Presidents Cup announces record charitable amount of $5 million-plus 03/04/2014
- VIDEO: McIlroy to auction Bose bags for charity 03/01/2014
- VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland 02/27/2014