Chevron Brings Kid-Friendly STEM Zone to Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic
March 25, 2013
By PGA TOUR Staff
One of the unique things at this year’s Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic was the Chevron STEM Zone, a kid-friendly exhibit at Fallen Oak which used a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education to make those disciplines fun for children.
The STEM Zone featured multiple stations where youngsters could learn about the science of golf, including speed versus slope, gravity and aerodynamics. It also had a fully-equipped mock-studio (including teleprompters and a green screen) for students to learn about broadcasting and media technology.
The STEM Zone also had activities specifically geared toward children up to five-years-old, where they could enjoy a putting area, book nook and sorting games.
Chevron hosted more than 500 Mississippi school children in the STEM Zone as part of the company's ongoing commitment to invest in education and economic development.
Chevron, in partnership with the MGRC, also made a $25,000 contribution to Excel By 5, a community-based certification designed to improve a child's overall well-being by age five that is currently in place in 24 communities.
- VIDEO: Players make a special hospital visit during Allianz Championship 02/26/2015
- Jonas Blixt makes a young cancer survivor's dream come true 02/25/2015
- Fifth annual Els for Autism Golf Challenge kicks off 02/25/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence to welcome first students in August 02/25/2015
- PHOTOS: Mahan teams with sponsor to raise funds for NADA Charitable Foundation 02/24/2015
- Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona 02/19/2015
- Web.com Tour Championship, City of Jacksonville donate $408K to The First Tee 02/18/2015
- Greg and Nicole Chalmers launch autism support organization 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Tim Lang 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Katie Horsford 02/13/2015