Chevron Brings Kid-Friendly STEM Zone to Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic
March 25, 2013
By PGA TOUR Staff
One of the unique things at this year’s Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic was the Chevron STEM Zone, a kid-friendly exhibit at Fallen Oak which used a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education to make those disciplines fun for children.
The STEM Zone featured multiple stations where youngsters could learn about the science of golf, including speed versus slope, gravity and aerodynamics. It also had a fully-equipped mock-studio (including teleprompters and a green screen) for students to learn about broadcasting and media technology.
The STEM Zone also had activities specifically geared toward children up to five-years-old, where they could enjoy a putting area, book nook and sorting games.
Chevron hosted more than 500 Mississippi school children in the STEM Zone as part of the company's ongoing commitment to invest in education and economic development.
Chevron, in partnership with the MGRC, also made a $25,000 contribution to Excel By 5, a community-based certification designed to improve a child's overall well-being by age five that is currently in place in 24 communities.
- 2014 Wells Fargo Championship distributes over $1 million to charities 10/23/2014
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- J.B. Holmes, Komen of Louisville raise over $200k for breast cancer fight 10/10/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014
- Compton inspires during Frys.com Open junior clinic 10/09/2014
- Rory McIlroy opens pediatric cancer center in Northern Ireland 10/08/2014
- VIDEO: Bubba Watson visits corn maze carved in his honor 10/06/2014
- VIDEO: Erik Compton receives the Buoniconti 'Inspiration Award' 10/01/2014