Arnold Palmer donates $200,000 to The First Tee of Central Florida
March 19, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla– Arnold Palmer, Hall of Fame golfer and The First Tee National Trustee, has made a $200,000 donation to The First Tee of Central Florida chapter to establish The Arnold Palmer Scholarship Fund. Through Mr. Palmer’s lead gift and support as Honorary Chairman, The First Tee of Central Florida is committed to growing the fund to over $1,000,000 in the next 10 years.
With the help and support of the fund, The First Tee of Central Florida has a five year goal of impacting the lives of over 4,500 Central Florida youth by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices through the game of golf. Through the success of the program, The First Tee of Central Florida will help boost student achievement, improve high school readiness and provide participants with the skills and tools needed to set and achieve their goals.
Mr. Palmer’s contribution will allow The First Tee of Central Florida to continue to maintain the policy that no child ever gets turned away for an inability to pay to participate. Additionally, the fund will increase the opportunity for young people to have positive outcomes by experiencing positive social interaction with their peers in safe places surrounded by caring adults through the addition of program locations and program offerings.
“I am extremely pleased to give my support to this recently established chapter of The First Tee in Central Florida. This community has long been my second home, along with so many other professional golfers,” said Palmer. “It is a wonderful opportunity to grow the game, and the life lessons and skills, that align with golf in an area so rich in golf.”
Since October 2012, when The First Tee of Central Florida began delivering its Life Skills Experience Programs at Hunter’s Creek Golf Club, The First Tee of Central Florida has added an additional programming site, Winter Park Country Club and increased participation by over 140%. Through strategically planned growth, The First Tee of Central Florida plans on partnering with additional golf clubs to provide the Life Skills Experience Programs in 2013.
“We could not be more honored by Mr. Palmer’s gesture and we are extremely grateful for his support. His generosity will allow thousands of local youth to gain exposure to the game of golf through The First Tee program and more importantly learn the positive core values, healthy habits, and life skills associated with the game. We are beyond excited,” said Matt Certo, Board President of The First Tee of Central Florida.
As Honorary Chairman, Mr. Palmer joins The First Tee of Central Florida’s Honorary Board Members Annika Sorenstam, Ken Griffey Jr., Doc Rivers, Tracy Stewart and Golf Channel President Mike McCarley.
TFTCFL’s Board of Directors is comprised of Matt Certo, WebSolvers (President); Mike McGee, ANNIKA (Vice President); Jon Johnston, BB&T-J Rolfe Davis (Treasurer); Sarah Pape, Zimmerman, Kiser & Sutcliffe. P.A. (Secretary); Jay Brennan, Gray Robinson; Michael Crosbie, Shutts & Bowen; Andrew Fleming, Golf Channel; Brandon Johnson, Arnold Palmer Design Company; Gene Lee, Darden Restaurants, and Scott Walker, Golf Channel.
For additional information about how area golf clubs, children, or companies can get involved with TFTCFL, please contact Tom Lawrence, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.thefirstteecfl.org.
- VIDEO: Erik Compton supports National Donate Life Month 04/01/2015
- MD Anderson to educate the public on cancer prevention through new relationship with the PGA TOUR 03/31/2015
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015