Arnold Palmer donates $200,000 to The First Tee of Central Florida
March 19, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla– Arnold Palmer, Hall of Fame golfer and The First Tee National Trustee, has made a $200,000 donation to The First Tee of Central Florida chapter to establish The Arnold Palmer Scholarship Fund. Through Mr. Palmer’s lead gift and support as Honorary Chairman, The First Tee of Central Florida is committed to growing the fund to over $1,000,000 in the next 10 years.
With the help and support of the fund, The First Tee of Central Florida has a five year goal of impacting the lives of over 4,500 Central Florida youth by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices through the game of golf. Through the success of the program, The First Tee of Central Florida will help boost student achievement, improve high school readiness and provide participants with the skills and tools needed to set and achieve their goals.
Mr. Palmer’s contribution will allow The First Tee of Central Florida to continue to maintain the policy that no child ever gets turned away for an inability to pay to participate. Additionally, the fund will increase the opportunity for young people to have positive outcomes by experiencing positive social interaction with their peers in safe places surrounded by caring adults through the addition of program locations and program offerings.
“I am extremely pleased to give my support to this recently established chapter of The First Tee in Central Florida. This community has long been my second home, along with so many other professional golfers,” said Palmer. “It is a wonderful opportunity to grow the game, and the life lessons and skills, that align with golf in an area so rich in golf.”
Since October 2012, when The First Tee of Central Florida began delivering its Life Skills Experience Programs at Hunter’s Creek Golf Club, The First Tee of Central Florida has added an additional programming site, Winter Park Country Club and increased participation by over 140%. Through strategically planned growth, The First Tee of Central Florida plans on partnering with additional golf clubs to provide the Life Skills Experience Programs in 2013.
“We could not be more honored by Mr. Palmer’s gesture and we are extremely grateful for his support. His generosity will allow thousands of local youth to gain exposure to the game of golf through The First Tee program and more importantly learn the positive core values, healthy habits, and life skills associated with the game. We are beyond excited,” said Matt Certo, Board President of The First Tee of Central Florida.
As Honorary Chairman, Mr. Palmer joins The First Tee of Central Florida’s Honorary Board Members Annika Sorenstam, Ken Griffey Jr., Doc Rivers, Tracy Stewart and Golf Channel President Mike McCarley.
TFTCFL’s Board of Directors is comprised of Matt Certo, WebSolvers (President); Mike McGee, ANNIKA (Vice President); Jon Johnston, BB&T-J Rolfe Davis (Treasurer); Sarah Pape, Zimmerman, Kiser & Sutcliffe. P.A. (Secretary); Jay Brennan, Gray Robinson; Michael Crosbie, Shutts & Bowen; Andrew Fleming, Golf Channel; Brandon Johnson, Arnold Palmer Design Company; Gene Lee, Darden Restaurants, and Scott Walker, Golf Channel.
For additional information about how area golf clubs, children, or companies can get involved with TFTCFL, please contact Tom Lawrence, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.thefirstteecfl.org.
- PING unveils limited edition pink driver benefiting Bubba Watson's foundation 08/25/2016
- 2016 AT&T Byron Nelson raises $5.8 million for Momentous Institute 08/25/2016
- Bubba Watson and caddie Ted Scott pledge support to Louisiana flood relief efforts 08/24/2016
- Glenmorangie teams up with Birdies for the Brave to raise funds for military families, wounded heroes during three PGA TOUR events 08/24/2016
- Charity leads the way for inaugural GolfBC Championship 08/18/2016
- VIDEO: A legacy of giving back at the Price Cutter Charity Championship 08/17/2016
- Meet Gianna 'One-Handed Lady Golfer' Rojas, volunteer at The Barclays 08/16/2016
- Ken Duke's dream for others reaches fruition with practice facility 08/11/2016
- Travelers donates $58,000 to Jim Furyk's charity of choice after record-setting 58 08/10/2016
- Jim Furyk named 2016 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/09/2016