Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes donates $80,000 to Birdies for the Brave homefront groups
June 14, 2013
By Marc Raiken/PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.- Representatives from the Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes visited TPC Sawgrass on June 13 to present Birdies for the Brave with a check for $80,000. The donation is the result of the third annual Wounded Heroes Golf Classic hosted by the group in May at Hampton Hall in Bluffton, SC. Combined with $65,000 raised at the 2012 tournament, this year’s proceeds will be earmarked for the Military Warriors Support Foundation toward the donation of two mortgage-free homes to military families, as well as Operation Homefront and Special Operations Warrior Foundation. In addition to the two home donations, the Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes will be donating a motorized wheelchair to a wounded warrior as well as a solo rider golf cart to The Legends Golf Course at Parris Island, SC.
The Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes was established by life-long golf fan and philanthropist Russ Spicer to address the growing need to help service members returning home from combat with serious injuries and disabilities re-integrate into civilian life. During the past three years, the group has raised more than $190,000 in support of homefront groups that provide programs and services to meet the specialized needs of wounded warriors in the South Carolina and Coastal Georgia areas.
“The men and women of our U.S. Armed Forces put their lives on the line every day to ensure the safety and freedom of all Americans, and we owe them and their families an enormous debt of gratitude,” said Spicer. “We are grateful for the opportunity to work with Birdies for the Brave and these two wonderful homefront groups to give back to those who have sacrificed so much, and appreciate the passion, generosity and compassion of so many caring people in the Lowcountry community who helped make our third annual Wounded Heroes Golf Classic such a success.”
The golf tournament featured a full field of golfers including many wounded warriors, as well as an awards dinner auction where former 12-year distinguished Navy SEAL Stephen Kupcha, who heads up Birdies for the Brave, served as a keynote speaker.
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016