Regions Tradition names Rick Alvis Volunteer of the Year
June 3, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Regions Tradition, along with the Champions Tour, announced today that Rick Alvis has been named the Champions Tour Volunteer of the Tournament for his loyal service as area captain of the Marshal Volunteer Committee for the 2013 event.
Alvis receives an engraved gift and will now become a finalist for the Champions Tour’s Volunteer of the Year award at the conclusion of the 2013 season. He will also receive a personal note from Champions Tour President Mike Stevens in recognition of his achievement.
At each Champions Tour event, an individual is recognized for outstanding service and dedication above and beyond the expectation of a volunteer and that person becomes a finalist for the year-end award.
Volunteers are always present, but often unnoticed, at all PGA TOUR co-sanctioned events, with approximately 1,000 people providing their time and efforts at each Champions Tour tournament. Their selfless efforts have helped the PGA TOUR and its tournaments donate more than $1.9 billion to charity over the years, including more than $130 million last year.
Matthew Dent, General Chairman of the Regions Tradition, along with tournament staff, volunteer leaders and Champions Tour Advance Rules/Operations Officials determined the Volunteer of the Tournament by considering the qualities and attributes to select an individual who goes beyond the call of duty and sets an outstanding example for others.
After retiring from Bellsouth years ago, Alvis took a position working as a Marshal/Starter for the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, where he is always practicing for the Regions Tradition. He has volunteered for the Champions Tour event for the past 13 years.
Alvis, as area captain of the Marshal Volunteer Committee for the Regions Tradition, oversees hole captains to ensure that all the needs of the spectators, players and officials are met. He has a key role in all decisions pertaining to the marshal volunteer program.
“Congratulations to Rick for being named as the Champions Tour Volunteer of the Tournament,” said Mike Stevens, President of the Champions Tour. “Typical of the thousands of volunteers who devote their time and efforts throughout the year, Rick stands out as a fine example of the people who have become part of the fabric of the Champions Tour and have helped us to realize the success we enjoy. We thank him, and recognize him for his incredible dedication to the Regions Tradition.”
- 2014 Wells Fargo Championship distributes over $1 million to charities 10/23/2014
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- J.B. Holmes, Komen of Louisville raise over $200k for breast cancer fight 10/10/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014
- Compton inspires during Frys.com Open junior clinic 10/09/2014
- Rory McIlroy opens pediatric cancer center in Northern Ireland 10/08/2014
- VIDEO: Bubba Watson visits corn maze carved in his honor 10/06/2014
- VIDEO: Erik Compton receives the Buoniconti 'Inspiration Award' 10/01/2014