Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive raises $440,000 for children's hospital in Canada
June 27, 2013
HAMILTON, ONTARIO – Two gift announcements capped off two perfect days of golf, fellowship and fundraising at the Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive for Kids in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital, held June 23 and 24 at the prestigious Hamilton Golf and Country Club.
Seventy-two golfers participated in the event, and had the opportunity to spend time with Canadian golf legend and 2003 Masters champion, Mike Weir. The proceeds from the event will help fund the addition of a second angiography suite at McMaster Children’s Hospital. Angiography is a medical procedure that produces images of the inside of blood vessels. McMaster Children’s Hospital is the only place in south-central Ontario where children can receive an angiography procedure.
At the awards dinner, Mike Weir surprised all in attendance by announcing that The Mike Weir Foundation was donating $100,000 to McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation. This was followed by another announcement of a $50,000 donation from Dufferin Concrete, bringing the fundraising total from the event to an estimated $440,000.
In making the gift announcement, Mike Weir reflected on his two days with the team at McMaster Children’s Hospital and Foundation, which included a hospital tour and the ability to meet with patients, both in hospital and on course at the junior tournament. Mike indicated that “the opportunity to interact with so many children throughout our visit, and to learn about the leading edge pediatric health care that is provided at McMaster Children’s Hospital has inspired us. We are fortunate to be able to give back so that the necessary resources are available for the children of this region.”
“We are extremely grateful to Mike Weir, The Mike Weir Foundation and to Children’s Miracle Network for enabling us to host this exciting event,” says Pearl Veenema, President and CEO of Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation. “We are overwhelmed and deeply touched by the generosity of our friends at The Mike Weir Foundation and Dufferin Concrete. Their unexpected and much appreciated additional support will help ensure that more children in our region have access to state-of-the-art medical technology at McMaster Children’s Hospital.”
Since its inception in 2006, the Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive for Kids has raised over $3.5 million for Children's Miracle Network partner hospitals. For more information about the event, please visit www.mikeweirmiraclegolfdrive.ca.
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016