Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive raises $440,000 for children's hospital in Canada
June 27, 2013
HAMILTON, ONTARIO – Two gift announcements capped off two perfect days of golf, fellowship and fundraising at the Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive for Kids in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital, held June 23 and 24 at the prestigious Hamilton Golf and Country Club.
Seventy-two golfers participated in the event, and had the opportunity to spend time with Canadian golf legend and 2003 Masters champion, Mike Weir. The proceeds from the event will help fund the addition of a second angiography suite at McMaster Children’s Hospital. Angiography is a medical procedure that produces images of the inside of blood vessels. McMaster Children’s Hospital is the only place in south-central Ontario where children can receive an angiography procedure.
At the awards dinner, Mike Weir surprised all in attendance by announcing that The Mike Weir Foundation was donating $100,000 to McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation. This was followed by another announcement of a $50,000 donation from Dufferin Concrete, bringing the fundraising total from the event to an estimated $440,000.
In making the gift announcement, Mike Weir reflected on his two days with the team at McMaster Children’s Hospital and Foundation, which included a hospital tour and the ability to meet with patients, both in hospital and on course at the junior tournament. Mike indicated that “the opportunity to interact with so many children throughout our visit, and to learn about the leading edge pediatric health care that is provided at McMaster Children’s Hospital has inspired us. We are fortunate to be able to give back so that the necessary resources are available for the children of this region.”
“We are extremely grateful to Mike Weir, The Mike Weir Foundation and to Children’s Miracle Network for enabling us to host this exciting event,” says Pearl Veenema, President and CEO of Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation. “We are overwhelmed and deeply touched by the generosity of our friends at The Mike Weir Foundation and Dufferin Concrete. Their unexpected and much appreciated additional support will help ensure that more children in our region have access to state-of-the-art medical technology at McMaster Children’s Hospital.”
Since its inception in 2006, the Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive for Kids has raised over $3.5 million for Children's Miracle Network partner hospitals. For more information about the event, please visit www.mikeweirmiraclegolfdrive.ca.
- VIDEO: Gary Player reunites with First Tee Open participant he inspired 09/22/2014
- The Greenbrier Classic announces first annual volunteer charitable initiative campaign 09/18/2014
- VIDEO: Web.com Tour player Peter Malnati's special friendship with a young cancer survivor 09/16/2014
- VIDEO: Brendon Todd visits East Lake's Drew Charter School during TOUR Championship 09/10/2014
- Web.com Tour Wives give back through “Fill the Cart with Fun” campaign 09/10/2014
- Andrade, Cink contribute to East Lake's success story 09/09/2014
- Chris Wilson kicks off campaign in support of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation 09/09/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014