Marathon of Miracles declares June 'National Golf To End Cancer Month'
June 14, 2013
MALIBU, Calif.- Marathon of Miracles (MOM), the national wellness and cancer prevention nonprofit organization, has declared June to be "National Golf To End Cancer Month."
"Golfers, golf courses,companies, media and celebrities are invited to join in solidarity to use golf to educate people about wellness and cancer prevention and provide direct support to families that have suffered from the devastion of cancer," said MOM co-founders A.J. and Jane Ali. "Through our Golf To End Cancer (G2EC) program, people all over the U.S. have been learning about staying well through fitness, nutrition and the use of eco-friendly products. Golf is great for fitness, mental health and relationship-building. National Golf To End Cancer Month will empower golfers to share a healthy-living message with friends and raise funds to help those in need."
"It has always surprised me that the golf industry didn't have a national cancer awareness day... now it has a whole month... thats awesome!," said Ed Woronicz, PGA, G2EC Executive Director. "I urge all my fellow PGA Professionals as well as their club members to participate in this inaugural marathon, and month, all for a great cause."
Public and private golf courses from coast to coast in the U.S. have joined the effort. Malibu Golf Club in California, Naperville Country Club in Illinois, Island Hills Golf Club in Michigan and Ford's Colony Country Club in Virginia just to name a few. "Blessed are those who help others in need," said Bruce Szafran, GM of Ford's Colony Country Club. "Golf To End Cancer is a great way to reach out to people who are affected by cancer and that is why Ford's Colony Country Club is proud to be a supporter of Golf To End Cancer." Golf courses can participate simply by offering golfers special deals to play 36 holes during June 14-30.
National Golf To End Cancer Month will be an annual celebration of life and wellness. "Because so many leaders and influencers around the world enjoy golf, it is our hope that every June, the ripple effect from National Golf To End Cancer Month will make a difference for millions of people," said A.J. "Father's Day is coming up. My dad smoked heavily for 40 years and died of lung cancer in 2004. I'll never get to golf with him. I can't bring him back, but I can help other sons and daughters to experience the joy of golfing with a healthy parent."
National Golf To End Cancer Month includes:
- Wellness Education: The Golf To End Cancer program will use a website, wellness newsletter, a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/golftoendcancer) and partnership with golf media outlets to share wellness tips, articles and other information to help people stay well and reduce their risk of cancer.
- Celebrity Participation: NFL Hall of Famer Chris Doleman and other celebrities willl share how golf and wellness are part of their life, and many celebrities have committed to playing 36 holes of golf to raise funds to support the cause. Internationally acclaimed jazz musician and FLO wine brand CEO Marcus Johnson will be joining Golf To End Cancer Co-Founder and writer A.J. Ali for golf at Malibu Golf Club on June 21, followed by a benefit concert by Marcus at the upscale jazz supper club called H.O.M.E. in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Partnerships: The Golf To End Cancer program will be making several announcements throughout the month of June regarding partnerships that will promote wellness and cancer prevention. "This is an industry-wide initiative to address a national health crisis," said A.J. "Cancer has reached an epidemic level and that is incredibly sad given that major health institutions agree that most cancers are preventable. Golf To End Cancer can be a game changer by forging partnerships with other organizations that can educate and empower people to live a wellness-oriented lifestyle."
- Golf To End Cancer Marathon: Golfing 36 holes is a fun and challenging way for golfers to band together to support the fight against cancer. The 36-hole test of stamina is also symbolic of the marathon struggle families go through when someone is battling cancer. Anyone can participate in the marathon. Just sign up at golftoendcancer.org/marathon, raise pledge dollars from friends and associates via an easy to use online fundraising platform and go play golf at any golf course June 14-30! If you can't golf, donate to support a golfer.
- Support: In each major metropolitan area where there are golfers participating in the Golf To End Cancer Marathon, a family affected by cancer will be selected to receive direct financial assistance to help them with medical bills, household bills, transportation, food, wellness support or other needs. The remaining funds will be used in our ongoing local and national efforts to use golf to promote wellness and cancer prevention education. Unlike research-oriented fundraising, which hardly ever has a direct impact on the families in local markets suffering from cancer, at least half of the funds raised in each market from the Golf To End Cancer Marathon will be put to use in that local market.
For more information, please visit golftoendcancer.org/marathon.
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016
- Danny Lee pledges to support West Virginia recovery efforts by donating to Neighbors Loving Neighbors 07/06/2016
- EZLinks Golf LLC launches TeeOff.com by PGA TOUR online booking fundraising program to benefit Birdies for the Brave 07/02/2016