Stars aligning for 2013 Zach Johnson Foundation Classic
July 9, 2013
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – PGA TOUR player and Cedar Rapids native Zach Johnson announces that his fellow Iowans and former professional athletes Kurt Warner, Chuck Long and Sage Rosenfels will be joining him for the 2013 Zach Johnson Foundation Classic.
Warner is a former University of Northern Iowa and NFL football player. He was Super Bowl XXXIV MVP, is a native Cedar Rapidian and sports hero. He played in the inaugural Zach Johnson Foundation Classic in 2011 and is excited to return.
Chuck Long played quarterback at University of Iowa for Hayden Fry and is an inductee of the College Football Hall of Fame and Iowa Sports Hall of Fame. After graduating college, Long was drafted #12 overall to the Detroit Lions. Long was runner-up to Bo Jackson in the closest Heisman Trophy vote in history in 1985.
Sage Rosenfels is a former Iowa State University and NFL football player. During his career at Iowa State he led the Cyclones to the University’s first ever bowl game victory. National Football Scouting, Inc. rated him as the second-best NFL prospect among senior quarterbacks in 2000.
Johnson is also excited to announce that Champions Tour player and 1987 US Open Champion, Scott Simpson will be making his first appearance at this year’s Zach Johnson Foundation Classic. Simpson has 16 professional wins, including seven on the PGA TOUR. Simpson edged Tom Watson to win the '87 US Open and almost added another US Open trophy losing in a playoff to Payne Stewart in 1991. Also joining Johnson is his fellow PGA TOUR player, Ryan Palmer, who has three career wins and four top 10 finishes already this season. He is currently 30th in the FedEx Cup rankings.
The participants already announced for the 2013 Zach Johnson Foundation Classic include PGA TOUR players Steve Stricker, Kyle Stanley and Mark Wilson and former University of Iowa and NFL kicker Nate Kaeding.
“We’re thrilled to feature these former NFL players, home state stars and so many of Zach’s fellow golfers, including a former major champion, that are supporting our event and our mission,”” said Pat Cobb, Chairman of the Zach Johnson Foundation. The Zach Johnson Foundation Classic will take place Monday, July 29 at Elmcrest Country Club with the Gala the night before at the Marriott Hotel in Cedar Rapids. The Gala includes dinner, an auction and entertainment and is exclusively for Classic sponsors, players and their guests.
Tickets for the Pro-Am tournament are now available for purchase online at zachjohnsongolf.com and at Cedar Rapids and Marion Hy-Vee food and drug stores, select Iowa City Hy-Vee stores and Cedar Rapids and Marion Guaranty Bank locations. Adult tickets are $20 and kids 14 and under will get into the tournament free with a ticketed adult.
Last year’s event raised $1 million. The money raised supports Kids on Course, a pilot program finishing its second year at Van Buren Elementary and Harrison Elementary Schools. The Zach Johnson Foundation fully funds the program and developed it in coordination with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and United Way of East Central Iowa. Kids on Course inspires in students the confidence to realize their academic and individual potential by providing creative and inventive opportunities that connect students and families to community and school.
For more details about the 2013 Zach Johnson Foundation Classic, visit zachjohnsongolf.com. You can also visit our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter. Zach Johnson is a Cedar Rapids native and nine-time PGA TOUR winner, including the 2007 Masters Champion.
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016