Shaw Charity Classic offers support to Canadian flood victims
July 5, 2013
CALGARY – The Calgary-based team responsible for bringing the Shaw Charity Classic – the newest stop on the Champions Tour schedule – to the city is donating $250,000 to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund, established to support organizations helping to rebuild following last month’s devastating floods. The donation comes on the heels of the June 18th announcement that Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta was selected as the first charitable partner of the Shaw Charity Classic.
The Patron Group, a philanthropic team comprised of Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell, Vice Chairman Allan Markin, as well as Keith MacPhail, Jim Riddell, Guy Turcotte and PGA TOUR professional Stephen Ames, created the Shaw Charity Classic with a view to not only bring a high-caliber, family friendly professional sporting event to Calgary, but also to raise money to support children’s charities in the city and across Southern Alberta. Last month’s devastating floods spurred the Group to expedite its philanthropic efforts in advance of the Shaw Charity Classic’s inaugural events at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 26 to September 1.
“As Calgarians, we are saddened to see the devastation caused by the flooding in our city, and the impact those floods have had on thousands of children across Southern Alberta. In keeping with the spirit in which we created the Shaw Charity Classic Foundation, and the Champions Tour mandate to support communities, we are proud to direct the Foundation’s first donation to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund,” said Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell.
To date, the Shaw Charity Classic has committed $1.25 million in donations to local charities.
The Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund is comprised of registered charities identified to be working on the front lines of the flood. These charities support those with the highest needs, as well as those who make a direct impact to those in need.
- Paul Casey Foundation committed to helping young people through sports 06/30/2015
- Compton's chance encounter with donor's aunt 06/25/2015
- DeLaet Foundation's 'Graham Slam' charity event set for July 9 06/24/2015
- Graham DeLaet wins $10K for charity from Travelers at The Umbrella at 15 ½ Challenge 06/24/2015
- VIDEO: Military moms treated to special baby shower at Travelers Championship 06/24/2015
- PGA TOUR players team up with RBC for online charity challenge 06/23/2015
- VIDEO: The Davis Love Foundation gives back 06/16/2015
- Wounded veterans honored by Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave during FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/11/2015
- 6-year-old boy to play 100 holes for cancer fundraiser 06/11/2015
- FedEx donates $1M to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 06/11/2015