Shaw Charity Classic offers support to Canadian flood victims
July 5, 2013
CALGARY – The Calgary-based team responsible for bringing the Shaw Charity Classic – the newest stop on the Champions Tour schedule – to the city is donating $250,000 to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund, established to support organizations helping to rebuild following last month’s devastating floods. The donation comes on the heels of the June 18th announcement that Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta was selected as the first charitable partner of the Shaw Charity Classic.
The Patron Group, a philanthropic team comprised of Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell, Vice Chairman Allan Markin, as well as Keith MacPhail, Jim Riddell, Guy Turcotte and PGA TOUR professional Stephen Ames, created the Shaw Charity Classic with a view to not only bring a high-caliber, family friendly professional sporting event to Calgary, but also to raise money to support children’s charities in the city and across Southern Alberta. Last month’s devastating floods spurred the Group to expedite its philanthropic efforts in advance of the Shaw Charity Classic’s inaugural events at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 26 to September 1.
“As Calgarians, we are saddened to see the devastation caused by the flooding in our city, and the impact those floods have had on thousands of children across Southern Alberta. In keeping with the spirit in which we created the Shaw Charity Classic Foundation, and the Champions Tour mandate to support communities, we are proud to direct the Foundation’s first donation to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund,” said Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell.
To date, the Shaw Charity Classic has committed $1.25 million in donations to local charities.
The Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund is comprised of registered charities identified to be working on the front lines of the flood. These charities support those with the highest needs, as well as those who make a direct impact to those in need.
- Shaw Charity Classic teams with AltaLink for 2015 Birdies for Kids fundraising program 05/26/2015
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015