Shaw Charity Classic offers support to Canadian flood victims
July 5, 2013
CALGARY – The Calgary-based team responsible for bringing the Shaw Charity Classic – the newest stop on the Champions Tour schedule – to the city is donating $250,000 to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund, established to support organizations helping to rebuild following last month’s devastating floods. The donation comes on the heels of the June 18th announcement that Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta was selected as the first charitable partner of the Shaw Charity Classic.
The Patron Group, a philanthropic team comprised of Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell, Vice Chairman Allan Markin, as well as Keith MacPhail, Jim Riddell, Guy Turcotte and PGA TOUR professional Stephen Ames, created the Shaw Charity Classic with a view to not only bring a high-caliber, family friendly professional sporting event to Calgary, but also to raise money to support children’s charities in the city and across Southern Alberta. Last month’s devastating floods spurred the Group to expedite its philanthropic efforts in advance of the Shaw Charity Classic’s inaugural events at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 26 to September 1.
“As Calgarians, we are saddened to see the devastation caused by the flooding in our city, and the impact those floods have had on thousands of children across Southern Alberta. In keeping with the spirit in which we created the Shaw Charity Classic Foundation, and the Champions Tour mandate to support communities, we are proud to direct the Foundation’s first donation to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund,” said Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell.
To date, the Shaw Charity Classic has committed $1.25 million in donations to local charities.
The Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund is comprised of registered charities identified to be working on the front lines of the flood. These charities support those with the highest needs, as well as those who make a direct impact to those in need.
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015
- Compton 'plays through' Atlanta in support of Donate Life 09/23/2015
- VIDEO: Payne Stewart Award winner Els takes on autism with new school 09/22/2015