Shaw Charity Classic offers support to Canadian flood victims
July 5, 2013
CALGARY – The Calgary-based team responsible for bringing the Shaw Charity Classic – the newest stop on the Champions Tour schedule – to the city is donating $250,000 to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund, established to support organizations helping to rebuild following last month’s devastating floods. The donation comes on the heels of the June 18th announcement that Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta was selected as the first charitable partner of the Shaw Charity Classic.
The Patron Group, a philanthropic team comprised of Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell, Vice Chairman Allan Markin, as well as Keith MacPhail, Jim Riddell, Guy Turcotte and PGA TOUR professional Stephen Ames, created the Shaw Charity Classic with a view to not only bring a high-caliber, family friendly professional sporting event to Calgary, but also to raise money to support children’s charities in the city and across Southern Alberta. Last month’s devastating floods spurred the Group to expedite its philanthropic efforts in advance of the Shaw Charity Classic’s inaugural events at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 26 to September 1.
“As Calgarians, we are saddened to see the devastation caused by the flooding in our city, and the impact those floods have had on thousands of children across Southern Alberta. In keeping with the spirit in which we created the Shaw Charity Classic Foundation, and the Champions Tour mandate to support communities, we are proud to direct the Foundation’s first donation to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund,” said Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell.
To date, the Shaw Charity Classic has committed $1.25 million in donations to local charities.
The Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund is comprised of registered charities identified to be working on the front lines of the flood. These charities support those with the highest needs, as well as those who make a direct impact to those in need.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014