Sergio Garcia to support The First Tee chapters through birdie pledge for remainder of season
July 30, 2013
(Photo credit: Ernest J. Aranyosi)
UPDATE: Sergio raised a total of $110,000 for The First Tee chapters through his birdie campaign. Full story here.
AKRON, Ohio- PGA TOUR professional Sergio Garcia has pledged to support The First Tee chapters in the communities in which he competes in through the remainder of the 2013 FedExCup season.
Garcia, an eight-time winner on the PGA TOUR, will donate $1,000 for each birdie, and $2,000 for every eagle, he makes through the completion of the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
He made the announcement today while visiting with participants of The First Tee chapters of Akron, Canton and Cleveland at the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational.
“I am very excited to be able to help support The First Tee and the good works it does in teaching youth the great life skills that are a part of our sport,” said Garcia. “I really enjoyed getting to spend some time with some of the local kids on the driving range today and am really eager to see how much I can help out over the rest of the season.”
Garcia, who formed Sergio’s Foundation in 2002, has long supported charitable causes in his native Spain and around the world helping kids and young adults improve their lives through sports. The First Tee’s mission is to positively impact young people through educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through golf.
Following are the remaining events on the 2013 FedExCup schedule and the local chapters of The First Tee in each of those communities:
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational – The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland
- PGA Championship – The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning
- Wyndham Championship – The First Tee of the Triad
- The Barclays – The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York
- Deutsche Bank Championship – The First Tee of Massachusetts
- BMW Championship – The First Tee of Greater Chicago
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola – The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake
To make a donation to Sergio's First Tee campaign, please click here.
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am announces 2017 philanthropic partners 01/30/2017