Sergio Garcia to support The First Tee chapters through birdie pledge for remainder of season
July 30, 2013
(Photo credit: Ernest J. Aranyosi)
UPDATE: Sergio raised a total of $110,000 for The First Tee chapters through his birdie campaign. Full story here.
AKRON, Ohio- PGA TOUR professional Sergio Garcia has pledged to support The First Tee chapters in the communities in which he competes in through the remainder of the 2013 FedExCup season.
Garcia, an eight-time winner on the PGA TOUR, will donate $1,000 for each birdie, and $2,000 for every eagle, he makes through the completion of the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
He made the announcement today while visiting with participants of The First Tee chapters of Akron, Canton and Cleveland at the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational.
“I am very excited to be able to help support The First Tee and the good works it does in teaching youth the great life skills that are a part of our sport,” said Garcia. “I really enjoyed getting to spend some time with some of the local kids on the driving range today and am really eager to see how much I can help out over the rest of the season.”
Garcia, who formed Sergio’s Foundation in 2002, has long supported charitable causes in his native Spain and around the world helping kids and young adults improve their lives through sports. The First Tee’s mission is to positively impact young people through educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through golf.
Following are the remaining events on the 2013 FedExCup schedule and the local chapters of The First Tee in each of those communities:
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational – The First Tee of Akron, The First Tee of Canton, The First Tee of Cleveland
- PGA Championship – The First Tee of Western New York, The First Tee of Syracuse, The First Tee of Corning
- Wyndham Championship – The First Tee of the Triad
- The Barclays – The First Tee of Raritan Valley, The First Tee of Met New York
- Deutsche Bank Championship – The First Tee of Massachusetts
- BMW Championship – The First Tee of Greater Chicago
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola – The First Tee of Atlanta, The First Tee of East Lake
To make a donation to Sergio's First Tee campaign, please click here.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015