VIDEO: CBS Sports special focuses on inspiring stories of giving back
July 29, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.– Underlying the magnitude of the PGA TOUR and its tournaments approaching $2 billion in all-time charitable giving are the countless stories of how individuals have been touched by this generosity.
Charity is an inseparable part of the PGA TOUR’s fabric. And the spirit of giving extends to the players themselves, many of whom have established their own foundations or regularly give their time to support special causes and organizations.
"PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays, a one-hour CBS Sports special that airs Saturday, August 3 at 1 p.m. EDT, documents the charitable endeavors of players and organizations involved within the TOUR family, as well as those who benefit from these efforts.
Among the featured stories are:
- Graeme McDowell: Through the GMAC Foundation and a partnership with the Crumlin Children’s Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, McDowell gives children with major medical disabilities and their families a “holiday of a lifetime” in Orlando, Florida.
- Brandt Snedeker/Tucker Anderson: Anderson, the son of Snedeker’s teaching pro who sustained brain trauma from a car accident, provided Snedeker with needed inspiration prior to his victory at the 2012 TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola. The show updates Anderson’s progress and visits a charity golf event in Sea Island, Georgia, that kicks off the TA4Life organization to raise money for brain injury research as well as for those families affected by issues related to brain trauma.
- JT Townsend/Fred Funk: Many in the Jacksonville, Florida, area know the story of Townsend, a high school star athlete who was paralyzed from a football injury, and his relationship with Champions Tour member Fred Funk. Despite Townsend’s recent unexpected passing, his foundation will carry on. The show catches up with Funk and the Townsend family as they look to keep his memory alive through bettering the lives of children and adults with disabilities on Florida’s First Coast.
Produced by PGA TOUR Entertainment, "PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays" showcases other initiatives, including the PGA TOUR’s drive to $2 billion in charitable giving campaign and the PGA TOUR Wives Association’s 25 years of helping others.
Watch these and other inspiring stories on "PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays," airing Saturday, August 3 at 1 p.m. EDT on CBS Sports.
- VIDEO: Willie Wood supports Ronald McDonald House Charities in Tulsa 04/25/2017
- College of the Ozarks dedicates The Missouri Gold Star Families Memorial 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017