VIDEO: CBS Sports special focuses on inspiring stories of giving back
July 29, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.– Underlying the magnitude of the PGA TOUR and its tournaments approaching $2 billion in all-time charitable giving are the countless stories of how individuals have been touched by this generosity.
Charity is an inseparable part of the PGA TOUR’s fabric. And the spirit of giving extends to the players themselves, many of whom have established their own foundations or regularly give their time to support special causes and organizations.
"PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays, a one-hour CBS Sports special that airs Saturday, August 3 at 1 p.m. EDT, documents the charitable endeavors of players and organizations involved within the TOUR family, as well as those who benefit from these efforts.
Among the featured stories are:
- Graeme McDowell: Through the GMAC Foundation and a partnership with the Crumlin Children’s Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, McDowell gives children with major medical disabilities and their families a “holiday of a lifetime” in Orlando, Florida.
- Brandt Snedeker/Tucker Anderson: Anderson, the son of Snedeker’s teaching pro who sustained brain trauma from a car accident, provided Snedeker with needed inspiration prior to his victory at the 2012 TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola. The show updates Anderson’s progress and visits a charity golf event in Sea Island, Georgia, that kicks off the TA4Life organization to raise money for brain injury research as well as for those families affected by issues related to brain trauma.
- JT Townsend/Fred Funk: Many in the Jacksonville, Florida, area know the story of Townsend, a high school star athlete who was paralyzed from a football injury, and his relationship with Champions Tour member Fred Funk. Despite Townsend’s recent unexpected passing, his foundation will carry on. The show catches up with Funk and the Townsend family as they look to keep his memory alive through bettering the lives of children and adults with disabilities on Florida’s First Coast.
Produced by PGA TOUR Entertainment, "PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays" showcases other initiatives, including the PGA TOUR’s drive to $2 billion in charitable giving campaign and the PGA TOUR Wives Association’s 25 years of helping others.
Watch these and other inspiring stories on "PGA TOUR 2013: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays," airing Saturday, August 3 at 1 p.m. EDT on CBS Sports.
- Paul Casey Foundation committed to helping young people through sports 06/30/2015
- Compton's chance encounter with donor's aunt 06/25/2015
- DeLaet Foundation's 'Graham Slam' charity event set for July 9 06/24/2015
- Graham DeLaet wins $10K for charity from Travelers at The Umbrella at 15 ½ Challenge 06/24/2015
- VIDEO: Military moms treated to special baby shower at Travelers Championship 06/24/2015
- PGA TOUR players team up with RBC for online charity challenge 06/23/2015
- VIDEO: The Davis Love Foundation gives back 06/16/2015
- Wounded veterans honored by Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave during FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/11/2015
- 6-year-old boy to play 100 holes for cancer fundraiser 06/11/2015
- FedEx donates $1M to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 06/11/2015