Lehman honored for commitment to helping children
July 12, 2013
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
OMAHA, Neb.- Tom Lehman has always been known for his character on and off the golf course and during this year’s U.S. Senior Open, he received yet another award at Boys Town Music Hall for giving back to a community and those in need.
Lehman, the recipient of the 2010 Payne Stewart Award on the PGA TOUR and the Golf Writers Association of America’s Charlie Bartlett Award in 2001, made the short trip to Boys Town, Nebraska on Wednesday night after learning that he was selected for the Father Flanagan Award for Service to Youth. The children and staff at Boys Town presented the two-time Champions Tour Player of the Year with the award, named for the organization’s founder, Father Edward Flanagan. The honor is annually given to individuals who dedicate themselves to helping kids and the person being recognized must have made a significant contribution to youth and continued to further influence young people by an exemplary public and private life.
“I was very humbled to receive this honor and it was also extremely flattering given the list of who all has received it before me. I'm very involved in my community with inner city kids, at‑risk kids, which is right up the alley of what Boys Town does.So there's a very strong link there between what my passion is and what they've done here,” Lehman said.
The affable Scottsdale, Ariz. resident was selected for the award based on his work with numerous charities across the country, most of which focus on helping children. Lehman serves on the Board of Elevate Phoenix, a civic program providing long-term, life-changing relationships with urban youth. He is also involved with the following groups – Cortney’s Place, McKenzie Monks Foundation, Hopekids, Children’s Cancer Research Fun, The Changing Lives Center for Women and Children, Search Ministries, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Big Oak Ranch – a Christian residential care facility for youth. At the recent Regions Tradition, Lehman, a two-time champion of the event, and former Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice, made a special visit to Children’s of Alabama, a pediatric hospital in downtown Birmingham that is the primary beneficiary of proceeds raised from the tournament.
“We thank Tom Lehman for sharing our mission of helping kids and families across the country and are proud to honor him this year,” said Father Steven Boes, Boys Town National Executive Director.
Boys Town is a beacon of hope for America’s children and families through its life-changing youth care and health care programs across the United States. Once a farm over 90 years ago, Boys Town has become its own incorporated city just outside of Omaha. In 2012, Boys Town’s integrated continuum of youth care and health care programs impacted more than 500,000 children and families across the United States and the goal of the organization is to provide the right services at the right time based on a child’s or family’s needs.
Previous recipients of the Father Flanagan Award for Service to Youth include Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Bob Hope, Dr. Jonas Salk, Danny Thomas, Julius Erving, Nancy Reagan, Dr. Denton Cooley, Michael Jordan and Laura Bush. The award is a 19-inch bronze statue of Father Edward Flanagan, created by artist Fred Hoppe and stands on a wooden base with a plate which bears the recipient’s name.
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016