Lehman honored for commitment to helping children
July 12, 2013
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR Staff
OMAHA, Neb.- Tom Lehman has always been known for his character on and off the golf course and during this year’s U.S. Senior Open, he received yet another award at Boys Town Music Hall for giving back to a community and those in need.
Lehman, the recipient of the 2010 Payne Stewart Award on the PGA TOUR and the Golf Writers Association of America’s Charlie Bartlett Award in 2001, made the short trip to Boys Town, Nebraska on Wednesday night after learning that he was selected for the Father Flanagan Award for Service to Youth. The children and staff at Boys Town presented the two-time Champions Tour Player of the Year with the award, named for the organization’s founder, Father Edward Flanagan. The honor is annually given to individuals who dedicate themselves to helping kids and the person being recognized must have made a significant contribution to youth and continued to further influence young people by an exemplary public and private life.
“I was very humbled to receive this honor and it was also extremely flattering given the list of who all has received it before me. I'm very involved in my community with inner city kids, at‑risk kids, which is right up the alley of what Boys Town does.So there's a very strong link there between what my passion is and what they've done here,” Lehman said.
The affable Scottsdale, Ariz. resident was selected for the award based on his work with numerous charities across the country, most of which focus on helping children. Lehman serves on the Board of Elevate Phoenix, a civic program providing long-term, life-changing relationships with urban youth. He is also involved with the following groups – Cortney’s Place, McKenzie Monks Foundation, Hopekids, Children’s Cancer Research Fun, The Changing Lives Center for Women and Children, Search Ministries, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Big Oak Ranch – a Christian residential care facility for youth. At the recent Regions Tradition, Lehman, a two-time champion of the event, and former Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice, made a special visit to Children’s of Alabama, a pediatric hospital in downtown Birmingham that is the primary beneficiary of proceeds raised from the tournament.
“We thank Tom Lehman for sharing our mission of helping kids and families across the country and are proud to honor him this year,” said Father Steven Boes, Boys Town National Executive Director.
Boys Town is a beacon of hope for America’s children and families through its life-changing youth care and health care programs across the United States. Once a farm over 90 years ago, Boys Town has become its own incorporated city just outside of Omaha. In 2012, Boys Town’s integrated continuum of youth care and health care programs impacted more than 500,000 children and families across the United States and the goal of the organization is to provide the right services at the right time based on a child’s or family’s needs.
Previous recipients of the Father Flanagan Award for Service to Youth include Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Bob Hope, Dr. Jonas Salk, Danny Thomas, Julius Erving, Nancy Reagan, Dr. Denton Cooley, Michael Jordan and Laura Bush. The award is a 19-inch bronze statue of Father Edward Flanagan, created by artist Fred Hoppe and stands on a wooden base with a plate which bears the recipient’s name.
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016
- Danny Lee pledges to support West Virginia recovery efforts by donating to Neighbors Loving Neighbors 07/06/2016
- EZLinks Golf LLC launches TeeOff.com by PGA TOUR online booking fundraising program to benefit Birdies for the Brave 07/02/2016