Hyundai Hope On Wheels grants over $83,000 to pediatric cancer research and programs in Hawaii
January 18, 2013
Maui, Hawaii – Hyundai Hope On Wheels launched its 2013 5K Run/Walk Series in Maui on Saturday, January 5 at Whalers Village in Ka’anapali, Maui, Hawaii. The event was held in conjunction with the third annual Hyundai Tournament of Champions, the PGA TOUR’s season-opening event.
With the support of more than 225 runners and walkers and Hyundai and its dealers, the event helped to raise awareness and an additional $8,625 for pediatric cancer research and programmatic funds for Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women and Children, serving all children battling cancer in Hawaii. Prior to the 5K event, Hope On Wheels awarded a $75,000 Hyundai Scholar Grant to Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children at the hospital in Honolulu on Thursday, January 3 bringing the combined total to $83,625. This latest contribution increases the total amount the hospital has received from Hope On Wheels to more than $350,000 since 2009.
“Our first-ever 5K in Maui was a tremendous success and an important step in our ongoing partnership with Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children to help kids in Hawaii fight cancer,” said Mickey Pong, Vice Chairman of Hyundai Hope On Wheels Board of Directors. “On behalf of all Hyundai dealers, we thank the island of Maui for its support in our fight against pediatric cancer.”
More than 300 participants and spectators gathered at Whalers Village for a 5K that took runners and walkers through a beautiful course that circled the Ka’anapali Beach Resort. After the run/walk, Hope On Wheels held its signature Handprint Ceremony to honor local children and families battling cancer. Net proceeds of the event will benefit a partnership between Maui Memorial Hospital, Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children and the Hawaii Cord Blood Bank.
For more information about the 2013 Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K Run/Walk Series, including upcoming events and registration, please visit www.HyundaiHopeOnWheels.org.
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016