Hyundai Hope On Wheels grants over $83,000 to pediatric cancer research and programs in Hawaii
January 18, 2013
Maui, Hawaii – Hyundai Hope On Wheels launched its 2013 5K Run/Walk Series in Maui on Saturday, January 5 at Whalers Village in Ka’anapali, Maui, Hawaii. The event was held in conjunction with the third annual Hyundai Tournament of Champions, the PGA TOUR’s season-opening event.
With the support of more than 225 runners and walkers and Hyundai and its dealers, the event helped to raise awareness and an additional $8,625 for pediatric cancer research and programmatic funds for Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women and Children, serving all children battling cancer in Hawaii. Prior to the 5K event, Hope On Wheels awarded a $75,000 Hyundai Scholar Grant to Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children at the hospital in Honolulu on Thursday, January 3 bringing the combined total to $83,625. This latest contribution increases the total amount the hospital has received from Hope On Wheels to more than $350,000 since 2009.
“Our first-ever 5K in Maui was a tremendous success and an important step in our ongoing partnership with Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children to help kids in Hawaii fight cancer,” said Mickey Pong, Vice Chairman of Hyundai Hope On Wheels Board of Directors. “On behalf of all Hyundai dealers, we thank the island of Maui for its support in our fight against pediatric cancer.”
More than 300 participants and spectators gathered at Whalers Village for a 5K that took runners and walkers through a beautiful course that circled the Ka’anapali Beach Resort. After the run/walk, Hope On Wheels held its signature Handprint Ceremony to honor local children and families battling cancer. Net proceeds of the event will benefit a partnership between Maui Memorial Hospital, Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children and the Hawaii Cord Blood Bank.
For more information about the 2013 Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K Run/Walk Series, including upcoming events and registration, please visit www.HyundaiHopeOnWheels.org.
- Zurich Classic teams with Ernie Els Foundation in support of autism 04/22/2014
- Junior golfers Drive, Chip and Putt their way through Augusta 04/21/2014
- RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities 04/17/2014
- VIDEO: 2013 Charity Of The Year - Memory Matters 04/17/2014
- RBC Heritage, Ernie Els Foundation turn golf blue in support of autism awareness 04/16/2014
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS Championship 17th Hole Charity Challenge 04/14/2014
- Jacksonville community receives 'dream' playground 04/14/2014
- PGA TOUR Superstore announces $5,000 grant to The First Tee of Greater Rockford 04/04/2014
- Donate Life America's "Play Through with Erik Compton" enters third year 04/03/2014
- Inaugural Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs to benefit youth 04/03/2014