Hyundai Hope On Wheels grants over $83,000 to pediatric cancer research and programs in Hawaii
January 18, 2013
Maui, Hawaii – Hyundai Hope On Wheels launched its 2013 5K Run/Walk Series in Maui on Saturday, January 5 at Whalers Village in Ka’anapali, Maui, Hawaii. The event was held in conjunction with the third annual Hyundai Tournament of Champions, the PGA TOUR’s season-opening event.
With the support of more than 225 runners and walkers and Hyundai and its dealers, the event helped to raise awareness and an additional $8,625 for pediatric cancer research and programmatic funds for Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women and Children, serving all children battling cancer in Hawaii. Prior to the 5K event, Hope On Wheels awarded a $75,000 Hyundai Scholar Grant to Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children at the hospital in Honolulu on Thursday, January 3 bringing the combined total to $83,625. This latest contribution increases the total amount the hospital has received from Hope On Wheels to more than $350,000 since 2009.
“Our first-ever 5K in Maui was a tremendous success and an important step in our ongoing partnership with Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children to help kids in Hawaii fight cancer,” said Mickey Pong, Vice Chairman of Hyundai Hope On Wheels Board of Directors. “On behalf of all Hyundai dealers, we thank the island of Maui for its support in our fight against pediatric cancer.”
More than 300 participants and spectators gathered at Whalers Village for a 5K that took runners and walkers through a beautiful course that circled the Ka’anapali Beach Resort. After the run/walk, Hope On Wheels held its signature Handprint Ceremony to honor local children and families battling cancer. Net proceeds of the event will benefit a partnership between Maui Memorial Hospital, Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children and the Hawaii Cord Blood Bank.
For more information about the 2013 Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K Run/Walk Series, including upcoming events and registration, please visit www.HyundaiHopeOnWheels.org.
- Principal Charity Classic's “FORE Our Kids” named 2013 Champions Tour Charity of the Year 12/12/2013
- Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children 12/11/2013
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013