Gary Player, Humana team up to promote health and well-being
January 9, 2013
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Golf icon Gary Player and Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, announced today a three-year partnership to promote lifelong well-being and healthy living through proper diet and exercise, as well as plans to face the increasing challenges of childhood obesity. As part of the partnership, Player will serve as a spokesman for the health care company in an extensive media campaign.
“I look forward to a lasting, long-term relationship with Humana and the Humana Challenge,” said Player, who has won more than 165 professional tournaments worldwide, including nine major championships, and is one of only five individuals to win the coveted Grand Slam of golf.
“As a leader in the health care industry, Humana is doing a wonderful service to all those impacted by their care and health coverage. Over my 60-year golfing career, I placed great emphasis on fitness and a healthy diet and at this stage in my life, I really see the benefits of my lifelong commitment more than ever.”
One of the initial highlights of the partnership will be Player’s involvement in the Humana Challenge on January 14-20, 2013, in La Quinta, Calif. Sponsored by Humana and the William J. Clinton Foundation, the PGA TOUR event raised more than $2 million for charity in the tournament’s inaugural year and was named “Sports Event of the Year” by the Sports Business Journal.
“Gary Player is a testament to a lifetime dedicated to wellness and we’re excited to join forces under the common goal of improving people’s health,” said Mike McCallister, Humana’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “His personal and philanthropic commitment to overall health perfectly complements our dream of helping people achieve lifelong well-being.”
Player has been a proponent of healthy living through proper diet and exercise and has maintained an incredible level of fitness throughout his legendary golfing career. At the age of 77, Player is recognized as a pioneer of fitness in sports and serves as an advisor and role model for many of today’s up-and-coming PGA TOUR stars.
“I greatly admire the efforts and commitment of Humana and President Clinton to promote lifelong well-being, and I hope to serve as a testament to the benefits of healthy living both on and off the golf course,” Player said.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015