Gary Player, Humana team up to promote health and well-being
January 9, 2013
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Golf icon Gary Player and Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, announced today a three-year partnership to promote lifelong well-being and healthy living through proper diet and exercise, as well as plans to face the increasing challenges of childhood obesity. As part of the partnership, Player will serve as a spokesman for the health care company in an extensive media campaign.
“I look forward to a lasting, long-term relationship with Humana and the Humana Challenge,” said Player, who has won more than 165 professional tournaments worldwide, including nine major championships, and is one of only five individuals to win the coveted Grand Slam of golf.
“As a leader in the health care industry, Humana is doing a wonderful service to all those impacted by their care and health coverage. Over my 60-year golfing career, I placed great emphasis on fitness and a healthy diet and at this stage in my life, I really see the benefits of my lifelong commitment more than ever.”
One of the initial highlights of the partnership will be Player’s involvement in the Humana Challenge on January 14-20, 2013, in La Quinta, Calif. Sponsored by Humana and the William J. Clinton Foundation, the PGA TOUR event raised more than $2 million for charity in the tournament’s inaugural year and was named “Sports Event of the Year” by the Sports Business Journal.
“Gary Player is a testament to a lifetime dedicated to wellness and we’re excited to join forces under the common goal of improving people’s health,” said Mike McCallister, Humana’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “His personal and philanthropic commitment to overall health perfectly complements our dream of helping people achieve lifelong well-being.”
Player has been a proponent of healthy living through proper diet and exercise and has maintained an incredible level of fitness throughout his legendary golfing career. At the age of 77, Player is recognized as a pioneer of fitness in sports and serves as an advisor and role model for many of today’s up-and-coming PGA TOUR stars.
“I greatly admire the efforts and commitment of Humana and President Clinton to promote lifelong well-being, and I hope to serve as a testament to the benefits of healthy living both on and off the golf course,” Player said.
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015
- Compton 'plays through' Atlanta in support of Donate Life 09/23/2015
- VIDEO: Payne Stewart Award winner Els takes on autism with new school 09/22/2015