Gary Player, Humana team up to promote health and well-being
January 9, 2013
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Golf icon Gary Player and Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, announced today a three-year partnership to promote lifelong well-being and healthy living through proper diet and exercise, as well as plans to face the increasing challenges of childhood obesity. As part of the partnership, Player will serve as a spokesman for the health care company in an extensive media campaign.
“I look forward to a lasting, long-term relationship with Humana and the Humana Challenge,” said Player, who has won more than 165 professional tournaments worldwide, including nine major championships, and is one of only five individuals to win the coveted Grand Slam of golf.
“As a leader in the health care industry, Humana is doing a wonderful service to all those impacted by their care and health coverage. Over my 60-year golfing career, I placed great emphasis on fitness and a healthy diet and at this stage in my life, I really see the benefits of my lifelong commitment more than ever.”
One of the initial highlights of the partnership will be Player’s involvement in the Humana Challenge on January 14-20, 2013, in La Quinta, Calif. Sponsored by Humana and the William J. Clinton Foundation, the PGA TOUR event raised more than $2 million for charity in the tournament’s inaugural year and was named “Sports Event of the Year” by the Sports Business Journal.
“Gary Player is a testament to a lifetime dedicated to wellness and we’re excited to join forces under the common goal of improving people’s health,” said Mike McCallister, Humana’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “His personal and philanthropic commitment to overall health perfectly complements our dream of helping people achieve lifelong well-being.”
Player has been a proponent of healthy living through proper diet and exercise and has maintained an incredible level of fitness throughout his legendary golfing career. At the age of 77, Player is recognized as a pioneer of fitness in sports and serves as an advisor and role model for many of today’s up-and-coming PGA TOUR stars.
“I greatly admire the efforts and commitment of Humana and President Clinton to promote lifelong well-being, and I hope to serve as a testament to the benefits of healthy living both on and off the golf course,” Player said.
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016
- Fleur de Lis artwork benefits Fore!Kids Foundation at Zurich Classic 05/10/2016
- DeLaet to Support Charity by Donating Money for On-Course Performance 05/06/2016
- Jordan Spieth, FedEx donate $1 million to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 05/04/2016