Accenture Match Play Championship charity part of McIlroy's "6 Bags Project"
January 25, 2013
MARANA, Ariz. – When the top 64 players in the world come to the Accenture Match Play Championship at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain in Marana, Ariz., February 18-24, the player currently ranked ahead of all the rest, Rory McIlroy, will go above and beyond to assist a local charity. As part of The 6 Bags Project, McIlroy will use a golf bag that features only the name and logo of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. During the tournament, fans can bid on the bag through www.roryfoundation.com, with all monies raised benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson.
“When I was younger, my parents sacrificed everything to allow me to play the game I love,” said McIlroy. “Having that support from my family gave me the opportunity to chase my dreams. But I know that every child is not so fortunate. My aim is that The Rory Foundation will support children’s charities big and small around the world that try to give kids that helping hand.”
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson are one of six children’s charities worldwide selected for this program. Five of the six charities are local to the community where the events are played as part of McIlroy kick off to his 2013 campaign. The 6 Bags Project is the first fundraiser that The Rory Foundation is undertaking. The charities selected for the 6 Bags Project are as follows:
* Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship – Northern Ireland Cancer Fund For Children
* World Golf Championship-Accenture Match Play Championship– Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson
* The Honda Classic– Child Protection Team of the Palm Beaches
* World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship– The First Tee Miami Dade Amateur Golf Association
* Shell Houston Open– Chinquapin School
* the Masters Tournament – Charity TBA
“As a product of this great organization and now its CEO, it is an absolute honor to have Rory think of our kids and help provide them with a great future,” said Armando Rios, CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. It is also a wonderful acknowledgement for the Tucson community and all those who support at-risk youth.”
Lorraine Morgan, vice president of Fund Development and Communications for the Boys & Girls Clubs, added, “The partnership with the Rory Foundation and the 6 Bags Project is an extension of the exceptional relationship between our organization and the Tucson Conquistadores, whose fundraising efforts surrounding Accenture Match Play Championship enable us to provide our members with superior athletic programs and outstanding youth development staff to facilitate sports leagues and healthy lifestyle initiatives.”
The Accenture Match Play Championship, which is the first in a series of four World Golf Championships events in 2013, has been played in the Tucson area since 2007 and at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain since 2009. Fans interested in purchasing tickets or for more information can visit www.worldgolfchampionships.com.
For more information about the Rory Foundation, visit www.roryfoundation.com.
- PHOTOS: Charity Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open 02/03/2016
- Farmers Insurance Open volunteer Ed Luce of San Marco wins PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/02/2016
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for "Game Show Night" 02/02/2016
- VIDEO: Tiger Woods reflects on his foundation's 20-year history 02/02/2016
- San Diego native Pat Perez hosts clinic for wounded veterans 01/27/2016
- Dell, PGA TOUR name five charities as Austin-Area beneficiaries for World Golf Championships-Dell Match Play 01/27/2016
- Fresh off Abu Dhabi win, Fowler shines during First Tee clinic in San Diego 01/26/2016
- Military family awarded mortgage-free home during CareerBuilder Challenge 01/25/2016
- CareerBuilder Challenge volunteer John Hamaliuk wins PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 01/23/2016
- Purple Heart recipients honored during CareerBuilder Challenge 01/23/2016