Accenture Match Play Championship charity part of McIlroy's "6 Bags Project"
January 25, 2013
MARANA, Ariz. – When the top 64 players in the world come to the Accenture Match Play Championship at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain in Marana, Ariz., February 18-24, the player currently ranked ahead of all the rest, Rory McIlroy, will go above and beyond to assist a local charity. As part of The 6 Bags Project, McIlroy will use a golf bag that features only the name and logo of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. During the tournament, fans can bid on the bag through www.roryfoundation.com, with all monies raised benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson.
“When I was younger, my parents sacrificed everything to allow me to play the game I love,” said McIlroy. “Having that support from my family gave me the opportunity to chase my dreams. But I know that every child is not so fortunate. My aim is that The Rory Foundation will support children’s charities big and small around the world that try to give kids that helping hand.”
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson are one of six children’s charities worldwide selected for this program. Five of the six charities are local to the community where the events are played as part of McIlroy kick off to his 2013 campaign. The 6 Bags Project is the first fundraiser that The Rory Foundation is undertaking. The charities selected for the 6 Bags Project are as follows:
* Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship – Northern Ireland Cancer Fund For Children
* World Golf Championship-Accenture Match Play Championship– Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson
* The Honda Classic– Child Protection Team of the Palm Beaches
* World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship– The First Tee Miami Dade Amateur Golf Association
* Shell Houston Open– Chinquapin School
* the Masters Tournament – Charity TBA
“As a product of this great organization and now its CEO, it is an absolute honor to have Rory think of our kids and help provide them with a great future,” said Armando Rios, CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson. It is also a wonderful acknowledgement for the Tucson community and all those who support at-risk youth.”
Lorraine Morgan, vice president of Fund Development and Communications for the Boys & Girls Clubs, added, “The partnership with the Rory Foundation and the 6 Bags Project is an extension of the exceptional relationship between our organization and the Tucson Conquistadores, whose fundraising efforts surrounding Accenture Match Play Championship enable us to provide our members with superior athletic programs and outstanding youth development staff to facilitate sports leagues and healthy lifestyle initiatives.”
The Accenture Match Play Championship, which is the first in a series of four World Golf Championships events in 2013, has been played in the Tucson area since 2007 and at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain since 2009. Fans interested in purchasing tickets or for more information can visit www.worldgolfchampionships.com.
For more information about the Rory Foundation, visit www.roryfoundation.com.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Evansville Community Benefits from Web.com Tour Event 04/27/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016