Waste Management Phoenix Open's "Green Out" raises $60,000 for environmental organizations
February 5, 2013
PHOENIX – The Waste Management Phoenix Open’s third annual GREEN OUT on Saturday, February 2 raised $60,000 for three environmental non-profit organizations. For every person who wore GREEN to the tournament, Waste Management and the Thunderbirds are donating ‘green’ to Keep Phoenix Beautiful, Arizona Forward and Keep America Beautiful.
Based on an online voting contest held on the tournament’s Facebook page in early January, Keep Phoenix Beautiful will receive 50 percent ($30,000) of the funds, Arizona Forward 35 percent ($21,000) and Keep America Beautiful 15 percent ($9,000). According to the Waste Management Phoenix Open’s ‘Green Squad,’ nearly 34 percent of Saturday’s record crowd of 179,022 fans and many PGA TOUR pros donned green gear.
Waste Management and The Thunderbirds began the Green Out in 2011 as a way for fans to honor and support the sustainability/green efforts of the tournament and title sponsor Waste Management. In 2012, the Green Out raised $50,000 for Keep Phoenix Beautiful and in 2011 the Green Out raised $35,000 for Arizona Clean & Beautiful.
The Waste Management Phoenix Open was held January 28 – February 3, 2013, at the TPC Scottsdale. The tournament host Thunderbirds have raised more than $80 million for charities, with more than $50 million generated since 2004. The 2013 edition marks the 78th playing of the event, making it one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR (not including the major championships). For more information on the Waste Management Phoenix Open, visit wmphoenixopen.com.
- DeChambeau hosts junior clinic in advance of RBC Canadian Open at Glen Abbey 07/20/2016
- Getting to know one another keeps the world - and us - going around 07/20/2016
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016