Waste Management Phoenix Open's "Green Out" raises $60,000 for environmental organizations
February 5, 2013
PHOENIX – The Waste Management Phoenix Open’s third annual GREEN OUT on Saturday, February 2 raised $60,000 for three environmental non-profit organizations. For every person who wore GREEN to the tournament, Waste Management and the Thunderbirds are donating ‘green’ to Keep Phoenix Beautiful, Arizona Forward and Keep America Beautiful.
Based on an online voting contest held on the tournament’s Facebook page in early January, Keep Phoenix Beautiful will receive 50 percent ($30,000) of the funds, Arizona Forward 35 percent ($21,000) and Keep America Beautiful 15 percent ($9,000). According to the Waste Management Phoenix Open’s ‘Green Squad,’ nearly 34 percent of Saturday’s record crowd of 179,022 fans and many PGA TOUR pros donned green gear.
Waste Management and The Thunderbirds began the Green Out in 2011 as a way for fans to honor and support the sustainability/green efforts of the tournament and title sponsor Waste Management. In 2012, the Green Out raised $50,000 for Keep Phoenix Beautiful and in 2011 the Green Out raised $35,000 for Arizona Clean & Beautiful.
The Waste Management Phoenix Open was held January 28 – February 3, 2013, at the TPC Scottsdale. The tournament host Thunderbirds have raised more than $80 million for charities, with more than $50 million generated since 2004. The 2013 edition marks the 78th playing of the event, making it one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR (not including the major championships). For more information on the Waste Management Phoenix Open, visit wmphoenixopen.com.
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- THE PLAYERS announces $8.5 million raised for charity in 2016 11/03/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016