Athletes align at TPC Scottsdale for CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open
January 31, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PHOENIX-- On Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the putting green at TPC Scottsdale turned into a virtual who’s-who of local legends. On hand were Phoenix Suns stand-outs, standing as tall as the seemingly wide Arizona Cardinals. Also in the mix were team owners, general managers and CEOs. And on the perimeter, but far from in the shadows, stood the true feature of the day; the Special Olympians.
Along with the Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Suns, the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open drew a large crowd to share in life’s two most precious commodities- will and determination.
Ten individuals from the Phoenix-area Special Olympics traded high-fives, poses and putting prowess over the course of nine make-shift holes for a late-morning event embraced by all.
“This is my fifth year being out here for this, so I really enjoy what this is all about,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s great so see the looks of excitement on their faces. We give them some putting tips and just enjoy them having such a great time.”
“It’s a great cause,” said Scottsdale resident Ricky Barnes. “I get involved with this every year. A lot of people come out here to support this, from other professional sports organizations to national company owners. You just look around at all the smiles on the faces. It really gives you a good perspective of what’s important in life.”
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015