Athletes align at TPC Scottsdale for CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open
January 31, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PHOENIX-- On Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the putting green at TPC Scottsdale turned into a virtual who’s-who of local legends. On hand were Phoenix Suns stand-outs, standing as tall as the seemingly wide Arizona Cardinals. Also in the mix were team owners, general managers and CEOs. And on the perimeter, but far from in the shadows, stood the true feature of the day; the Special Olympians.
Along with the Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Suns, the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open drew a large crowd to share in life’s two most precious commodities- will and determination.
Ten individuals from the Phoenix-area Special Olympics traded high-fives, poses and putting prowess over the course of nine make-shift holes for a late-morning event embraced by all.
“This is my fifth year being out here for this, so I really enjoy what this is all about,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s great so see the looks of excitement on their faces. We give them some putting tips and just enjoy them having such a great time.”
“It’s a great cause,” said Scottsdale resident Ricky Barnes. “I get involved with this every year. A lot of people come out here to support this, from other professional sports organizations to national company owners. You just look around at all the smiles on the faces. It really gives you a good perspective of what’s important in life.”
- Shaw Communications announces campaign to benefit Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation 07/25/2014
- BMW Championship exhibition raises $45,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 07/24/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour Wives partner with Midwest Classic to create "Camp Quality Baskets" 07/23/2014
- Jarrod Lyle: A survivor seeking to help others 07/22/2014
- Fred Couples joins Snoqualmie Showdown charity event on August 4 07/22/2014
- Darren Clarke receives Golf Foundation's ‘Spirit of Golf’ award 07/21/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee visits The Greenbrier Classic 07/17/2014
- PHOTOS: Web.com Tour players shop for charity during Albertsons Boise Open 07/17/2014
- WATCH: Zach Johnson on his annual charity event benefitting Kids on Course 07/15/2014
- WATCH: Jay Haas, William McGirt talk about The Blade Junior Classic 07/15/2014