Athletes align at TPC Scottsdale for CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open
January 31, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PHOENIX-- On Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the putting green at TPC Scottsdale turned into a virtual who’s-who of local legends. On hand were Phoenix Suns stand-outs, standing as tall as the seemingly wide Arizona Cardinals. Also in the mix were team owners, general managers and CEOs. And on the perimeter, but far from in the shadows, stood the true feature of the day; the Special Olympians.
Along with the Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Suns, the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open drew a large crowd to share in life’s two most precious commodities- will and determination.
Ten individuals from the Phoenix-area Special Olympics traded high-fives, poses and putting prowess over the course of nine make-shift holes for a late-morning event embraced by all.
“This is my fifth year being out here for this, so I really enjoy what this is all about,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s great so see the looks of excitement on their faces. We give them some putting tips and just enjoy them having such a great time.”
“It’s a great cause,” said Scottsdale resident Ricky Barnes. “I get involved with this every year. A lot of people come out here to support this, from other professional sports organizations to national company owners. You just look around at all the smiles on the faces. It really gives you a good perspective of what’s important in life.”
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014