Athletes align at TPC Scottsdale for CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open
January 31, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PHOENIX-- On Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the putting green at TPC Scottsdale turned into a virtual who’s-who of local legends. On hand were Phoenix Suns stand-outs, standing as tall as the seemingly wide Arizona Cardinals. Also in the mix were team owners, general managers and CEOs. And on the perimeter, but far from in the shadows, stood the true feature of the day; the Special Olympians.
Along with the Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Suns, the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open drew a large crowd to share in life’s two most precious commodities- will and determination.
Ten individuals from the Phoenix-area Special Olympics traded high-fives, poses and putting prowess over the course of nine make-shift holes for a late-morning event embraced by all.
“This is my fifth year being out here for this, so I really enjoy what this is all about,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s great so see the looks of excitement on their faces. We give them some putting tips and just enjoy them having such a great time.”
“It’s a great cause,” said Scottsdale resident Ricky Barnes. “I get involved with this every year. A lot of people come out here to support this, from other professional sports organizations to national company owners. You just look around at all the smiles on the faces. It really gives you a good perspective of what’s important in life.”
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015