Athletes align at TPC Scottsdale for CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open
January 31, 2013
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
PHOENIX-- On Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, the putting green at TPC Scottsdale turned into a virtual who’s-who of local legends. On hand were Phoenix Suns stand-outs, standing as tall as the seemingly wide Arizona Cardinals. Also in the mix were team owners, general managers and CEOs. And on the perimeter, but far from in the shadows, stood the true feature of the day; the Special Olympians.
Along with the Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Suns, the CBS Outdoor Special Olympics Open drew a large crowd to share in life’s two most precious commodities- will and determination.
Ten individuals from the Phoenix-area Special Olympics traded high-fives, poses and putting prowess over the course of nine make-shift holes for a late-morning event embraced by all.
“This is my fifth year being out here for this, so I really enjoy what this is all about,” said Chad Campbell. “It’s great so see the looks of excitement on their faces. We give them some putting tips and just enjoy them having such a great time.”
“It’s a great cause,” said Scottsdale resident Ricky Barnes. “I get involved with this every year. A lot of people come out here to support this, from other professional sports organizations to national company owners. You just look around at all the smiles on the faces. It really gives you a good perspective of what’s important in life.”
- WATCH: Justin Thomas returns to Louisville to host junior championship 04/22/2017
- VIDEO: Josh Broadaway sponsors storm benefit concert 04/22/2017
- Carriker's passion for golf in San Antonio shines at Valero Texas Open 04/20/2017
- Bryson DeChambeau teams with National Kidney Foundation Golf Classic 03/30/2017
- VIDEO: Brad Faxon visits Keesler Air Force Base 03/30/2017
- MD Anderson to provide free skin cancer screenings at Shell Houston Open 03/29/2017
- PGA TOUR wives golf with cancer patients in downtown Houston 03/29/2017
- Jay Don Blake shares love of golf, reading with preschool children in Mississippi 03/29/2017
- FedEx, JA Worldwide tee up inaugural FedEx Junior Business Challenge 03/27/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017