Champions Tour helps ACE Group Classic with My Miles Fore NCH initiative
February 14, 2013
By Phil Stambaugh, PGA TOUR staff
NAPLES, Fla. – Champions Tour professionals and caddies, along with ACE Group Classic volunteers and staff as well as staff from the TwinEagles Club and fans, accepted a friendly challenge to track their miles walked during the week of the annual tournament stop in Naples and, as a result, NCH Healthcare System Foundation will benefit from a $10,000 donation from the event.
The group that walks the most miles during the event will be rewarded with a massage and a one-year membership to the NCH Healthcare System Wellness Center. Before the tournament started, fans were encouraged to join the challenge and they were then able to check out a pedometer near the tournament entrance upon arrival.
The NCH Healthcare Foundation is the fundraising arm of the NCH Healthcare System, a group of community hospitals and clinics, receives no direct taxpayer, county or government support. Through generous charitable donations like this year’s from The ACE Group Classic, the Foundation supports a medical institution with a proven record of clinical distinction. Donations such as these result in state-of-the-art facilities and technological innovation and advancement which are all utilized in delivering world-class medical services throughout Southwest Florida.
Champions Tour players Russ Cochran, Gary Koch, Mike Hulbert and Mike Goodes wore pedometers on Tuesday and each player logged an amazing five figures in the number of steps taken during the day with Koch registering more than 15,000 steps. None of the four professionals had ever worn a pedometer before.
“I think it’s a great idea and the more awareness you can create with something like this, the better,” Goodes said. “It never hurts anybody to walk.”
“Jeff Sluman is one of my heroes and I’ve been trying to get a pedometer from him for a while now. Something like this just shows how much walking we really do during the course of a week. Last week in Boca Raton, I played in four pro-ams before the tournament even started,” Hulbert said.
“Our tournament and NCH Healthcare System share a commitment to making our community a better place to live, work and play,” tournament director Lesley Baker said. “We’re excited to have some fun with this competition against tournament patrons, volunteers and of course, the Champions Tour players and their caddies. The biggest winner will be our donation to the NCH Healthcare System that works to improve the facilities and services that help people of Southwest Florida every day.”
Daily competition updates are available online at acegroupclassic.com and the official hashtag is #MyMilesForeNCH.
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016