Brian Gay's Player of the Month honor to benefit Birdies for the Brave, St. Jude Children's Hospital
February 19, 2013
PARSIPPANY, N.J. and PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Brian Gay has been voted the January PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to charities supported by Gay, split between Birdies for the Brave and the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Gay outpolled Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods and Russell Henley. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of January.
“I'm proud to have been voted the PGA TOUR Player of the Month for January,” said Gay. “My goal for this year was to come out focused, energized and believing in my ability to win golf tournaments. The win at the Humana Challenge and the Avis award have been an incredible beginning to the 2013 PGA TOUR season. My wife, Kimberly, and I thank Avis for their $50,000 contribution that will go to Birdies for the Brave and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.”
The highlight of Gay’s month was his fourth career PGA TOUR title at the Humana Challenge in partnership with the Clinton Foundation. Gay overcame a six-stroke deficit on the final day, posting a 9-under-par 63 to force a playoff with Charles Howell III and David Lingmerth. Gay then won the playoff with a birdie on the second playoff hole. Gay also tied for 24th at the Sony Open in Hawaii and tied for 31st at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
“We are honored to recognize Brian Gay and celebrate his dedication and focus to the game,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “We congratulate Brian on being named January’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month and are proud to support Birdies for the Brave and the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in his name.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- MD Anderson to educate the public on cancer prevention through new relationship with the PGA TOUR 03/31/2015
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015