Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
December 6, 2013
Memory Matters is a community-based nonprofit organization that strives to be a center of excellence for persons with Alzheimer's disease and all forms of dementia and their families by providing daycare programs, support services and education in a compassionate and dignified manner.
Memory Matters serves the community in three ways: providing a high-quality social day program for those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia; providing respite, support and resources to caregivers; and serving as a community resource by providing education, information and outreach services.
“Congratulations to Memory Matters for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year and to the RBC Heritage for its support of this tremendous organization,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia present many challenges to individuals in our society on a daily basis. Memory Matters has done great things in the Hilton Head Island area and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to help Memory Matters support the Low Wealth Daycare Assistance Program, which provides free or reduced-fee daycare to families in need. The program is designed to assist family members caring for those with Alzheimer’s disease, with recent studies suggesting that caregiver stress compromises the immune system so badly that one-third of caregivers die before the Alzheimer’s patient. The program assists in lowering the stress, physical strain, competing demands and financial hardship of caregiving.
“Everyone at the RBC Heritage and Heritage Classic Foundation is proud to be associated with a charity like Memory Matters,” said RBC Heritage Tournament Director Steve Wilmot. “They fill an important role on Hilton Head Island by striving to be a center of excellence for persons with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Each tournament on the PGA TOUR supports important non-profits, so it is a great achievement to be recognized among all the worthy nominees.”
“I am thrilled and honored that Memory Matters has been selected as the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year,” said Memory Matters Executive Director Edwina “Eddy” Hoyle. “This recognition has extraordinary significance for us, first, because the RBC Heritage and the Heritage Classic Foundation applied for this award on our behalf. Their confidence in and support of our work is extremely gratifying. Secondly, by conferring such distinction to Memory Matters with this prestigious award, the PGA TOUR is helping to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia nationwide and supports our mission to be a true center of excellence in dementia care.”
The 2014 RBC Heritage, captured in 2013 by Graeme McDowell, will be held April 14-20 at Harbour Town Golf Links.
- PHOTOS: Chile Classic's DEBRA Foundation dinner 03/07/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship to provide free military admission 03/07/2014
- Seventh annual Stater Bros. Charities Dave Stockton Heroes Challenge tees off March 10 03/07/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee arrives in Chile 03/05/2014
- Young brain cancer survivor treated to a special day at the WGC-Cadillac Championship 03/05/2014
- The Jake raises record $2.2 million to support the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation 03/05/2014
- Barkley, Bean, Bryant and Friends Celebrity Skins Game raises over $150,000 for The First Tee 03/04/2014
- The Presidents Cup announces record charitable amount of $5 million-plus 03/04/2014
- VIDEO: McIlroy to auction Bose bags for charity 03/01/2014
- VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland 02/27/2014