Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
December 6, 2013
Memory Matters is a community-based nonprofit organization that strives to be a center of excellence for persons with Alzheimer's disease and all forms of dementia and their families by providing daycare programs, support services and education in a compassionate and dignified manner.
Memory Matters serves the community in three ways: providing a high-quality social day program for those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia; providing respite, support and resources to caregivers; and serving as a community resource by providing education, information and outreach services.
“Congratulations to Memory Matters for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year and to the RBC Heritage for its support of this tremendous organization,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia present many challenges to individuals in our society on a daily basis. Memory Matters has done great things in the Hilton Head Island area and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to help Memory Matters support the Low Wealth Daycare Assistance Program, which provides free or reduced-fee daycare to families in need. The program is designed to assist family members caring for those with Alzheimer’s disease, with recent studies suggesting that caregiver stress compromises the immune system so badly that one-third of caregivers die before the Alzheimer’s patient. The program assists in lowering the stress, physical strain, competing demands and financial hardship of caregiving.
“Everyone at the RBC Heritage and Heritage Classic Foundation is proud to be associated with a charity like Memory Matters,” said RBC Heritage Tournament Director Steve Wilmot. “They fill an important role on Hilton Head Island by striving to be a center of excellence for persons with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Each tournament on the PGA TOUR supports important non-profits, so it is a great achievement to be recognized among all the worthy nominees.”
“I am thrilled and honored that Memory Matters has been selected as the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year,” said Memory Matters Executive Director Edwina “Eddy” Hoyle. “This recognition has extraordinary significance for us, first, because the RBC Heritage and the Heritage Classic Foundation applied for this award on our behalf. Their confidence in and support of our work is extremely gratifying. Secondly, by conferring such distinction to Memory Matters with this prestigious award, the PGA TOUR is helping to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia nationwide and supports our mission to be a true center of excellence in dementia care.”
The 2014 RBC Heritage, captured in 2013 by Graeme McDowell, will be held April 14-20 at Harbour Town Golf Links.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015