KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines
December 4, 2013
CLEVELAND– The KJ Choi Foundation, which supports the hopes and dreams of youth around the world, announced today that Founder and President KJ Choi has donated his $100,000 winnings from the 2013 ISPS Handa World Cup to help with the Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines.
“I wanted to represent Korea in sharing the sentiment of my fellow countrymen to our friends in the Philippines,” said Choi. “I send my deepest condolences to the people of the Philippines who have lost their families and homes.”
The donation was sent to the American Red Cross through the KJ Choi Foundation in the United States, and in conjunction with the Philippine chapter of the Red Cross, the funds will be used to provide relief supplies to the areas worst hit by the typhoon and to help rebuild their damaged infrastructure.
Choi represented Korea with his fellow countryman Sang Moon Bae at the 2013 ISPS Handa World Cup, held at the Royal Melbourne. He shot 3-under-par in the first round, but took himself out of contention in the following rounds to finish the tournament at 2-over-par, tied for 15th.
“The Philippines and Korea maintain a very close relationship through cultural exchange, and I truly hope they are able to rebound, overcome the difficult times and get back to normalcy again,” Choi said.
He added, “I had heard that Jason Day lost many of his relatives and friends due to the typhoon and as a fellow friend and competitor, I felt bad. Despite his loss, it was very meaningful to see him overcome the pain of losing his family and stay focused during the tournament to come up with the win.”
The KJ Choi Foundation, a recognized 501(c), has supported relief efforts across the globe since 2007. Choi donated $90,000 to hurricane victims in the United States in 2009 and, after his 2011 win at The Players, gave $200,000 to victims of the tornadoes that ravaged the southeastern part of the U.S. Later that year he donated $100,000 to victims of the tsunami that hit Japan. In addition to those gifts, Choi's foundation supports scholarships, junior golf in Korea and supports Korean communities with food aid and development of farming production.
Choi was recognized for his history of relief effort donations by the Golf Writer’s Association of America in 2013 with the Charlie Bartlett Award, which is given to a professional golfer for his or her unselfish contributions to the betterment of society.
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016
- Fleur de Lis artwork benefits Fore!Kids Foundation at Zurich Classic 05/10/2016
- DeLaet to Support Charity by Donating Money for On-Course Performance 05/06/2016
- Jordan Spieth, FedEx donate $1 million to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 05/04/2016