KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines
December 4, 2013
CLEVELAND– The KJ Choi Foundation, which supports the hopes and dreams of youth around the world, announced today that Founder and President KJ Choi has donated his $100,000 winnings from the 2013 ISPS Handa World Cup to help with the Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines.
“I wanted to represent Korea in sharing the sentiment of my fellow countrymen to our friends in the Philippines,” said Choi. “I send my deepest condolences to the people of the Philippines who have lost their families and homes.”
The donation was sent to the American Red Cross through the KJ Choi Foundation in the United States, and in conjunction with the Philippine chapter of the Red Cross, the funds will be used to provide relief supplies to the areas worst hit by the typhoon and to help rebuild their damaged infrastructure.
Choi represented Korea with his fellow countryman Sang Moon Bae at the 2013 ISPS Handa World Cup, held at the Royal Melbourne. He shot 3-under-par in the first round, but took himself out of contention in the following rounds to finish the tournament at 2-over-par, tied for 15th.
“The Philippines and Korea maintain a very close relationship through cultural exchange, and I truly hope they are able to rebound, overcome the difficult times and get back to normalcy again,” Choi said.
He added, “I had heard that Jason Day lost many of his relatives and friends due to the typhoon and as a fellow friend and competitor, I felt bad. Despite his loss, it was very meaningful to see him overcome the pain of losing his family and stay focused during the tournament to come up with the win.”
The KJ Choi Foundation, a recognized 501(c), has supported relief efforts across the globe since 2007. Choi donated $90,000 to hurricane victims in the United States in 2009 and, after his 2011 win at The Players, gave $200,000 to victims of the tornadoes that ravaged the southeastern part of the U.S. Later that year he donated $100,000 to victims of the tsunami that hit Japan. In addition to those gifts, Choi's foundation supports scholarships, junior golf in Korea and supports Korean communities with food aid and development of farming production.
Choi was recognized for his history of relief effort donations by the Golf Writer’s Association of America in 2013 with the Charlie Bartlett Award, which is given to a professional golfer for his or her unselfish contributions to the betterment of society.
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016