Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer
December 2, 2013
MAUI, Hawaii– Hyundai Hope On Wheels announced it will return to Hawaii for the Hyundai Hope On Wheels 5K Run/Walk in Maui on Saturday, January 4 at 8:00 a.m.
After its successful inaugural 5K on Maui in 2013, Hope On Wheels will kick-off its 2014 5K Run/Walk Series at Whalers Village in Lahaina benefiting children battling cancer in Hawaii.The event will be held in conjunction with the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, which marks the PGA TOUR’s resumption in January following a 1½-month break of the 2013-2014 tournament schedule and features an exclusive field consisting only of winners of PGA TOUR events from the 2013 calendar year.
“We are excited to bring our signature 5K back to the beautiful island of Maui and raise money for pediatric cancer programs in Hawaii,” said Zafar Brooks, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility, Hyundai Motor America. "Through Hope On Wheels and our partnership with Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children in Oahu, families on Maui and across the entire state of Hawaii will have greater access to critical pediatric cancer breakthroughs.”
Runners and walkers of all ages and skill levels are invited to participate in this family fun event to help kids fight cancer. Participants can register online at www.HopeOnWheels.org/Mauifor $30 until December 9th when the price will increase to $35. On-site registration will be available at $40. Children 6-12 years of age can participate in the 5K for a discounted rate of $15 which will increase on December 9th to $20, kids ages 3-6 receive complimentary registration. All participants will receive a race running shirt and bib, a commemorative medal, chip timing and two (2) tickets to the Hyundai Tournament of Champions golf tournament in Kapalua.The 5K will also feature a sponsors’ expo and the family fun celebration, where awards will be given to the top finishers.
“We are one of the only comprehensive care facilities for children in the state of Hawai’i and the Pacific and it is critical that we receive community support,” said Martha Smith, Chief Operating Officer at Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children. “Because of the efforts of our local Hyundai dealers and Hope On Wheels, we can continue to implement life-saving research to improve the lives of the many children that walk through our doors.”
“As part of this 5K event, Hope On Wheels will award a $75,000 Hyundai Scholar Grant to Kapi‘olani Medical Center,” said Mickey Pong, Chairman of Hyundai Hope On Wheels Board of Directors. “On behalf of all Hyundai dealers, we are pleased to award our first grant of 2014 and the net proceeds of the 5K to Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children.”In addition to the 5K run/walk, Hyundai continues to be the title sponsor of the Hyundai Tournament of ChampionsPGA TOUR golf tournament for the fourth year in a row. The Tournament begins on Friday, January 3 and ends on Monday, January 6, 2014 at The Plantation Course at the Kapalua Resort in Maui. Charity is an important part of the event and since 1999 the host organizations of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions have distributed more than $4 million to charities in the Maui community.
In honor of this special event, each adult 5K registration will come with two (2) any-day passes to the Tournament.
To become a sponsor or a volunteer, contact Aaron Bensoua at 310.552.4128.
For more information about Hyundai Hope On Wheels, please visit www.HyundaiHopeOnWheels.org.
- VIDEO: 98-year-old Dick's Sporting Goods Open volunteer still going strong 08/28/2015
- PGA TOUR teams with Nike Oven to create unique Make-A-Wish experience for leukemia patient 08/28/2015
- A fitting honor for two wounded heroes at the Wyndham Championship 08/25/2015
- National Capital Open to Support Our Troops about more than just golf 08/25/2015
- Spieth makes special appearance during The First Tee Classic at Liberty National Golf Club 08/24/2015
- 2015 BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation raises more than $758K for charity 08/19/2015
- Els named 2015 Payne Stewart Award recipient 08/19/2015
- Shell Houston Open recognized nationally with Gold Level Certification by Council for Responsible Sport 08/19/2015
- Wyndham Championship supports local Piedmont Triad community during tournament week 08/18/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence opens its doors to students 08/17/2015