Principal Charity Classic's “FORE Our Kids” named 2013 Champions Tour Charity of the Year
December 12, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The Champions Tour announced today “FORE Our Kids”, the fundraising initiative of The Principal Charity Classic which benefits children’s charities throughout central Iowa, is the 2013 Champions Tour Charity of the Year.
For the first time in the seven-year history of The Principal Charity Classic, an official Champions Tour event hosted by Wakonda Club in Des Moines, Iowa, donations surpassed $1 million for a single year.
The 2013 Principal Charity Classic distributed a record $1,032,500 to five “FORE Our Kids” charities, bringing the tournaments seven-year total since its inception to $5 million.
The five “FORE Our Kids” charities that received donations from the tournament were:
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety – The Children’s Charity of Iowa
Also, an additional 106 “Birdies for Charity” organizations benefitted from donations.
“We’re very honored to receive this important recognition from the Champions Tour, “ said Mary O’Keefe, chair of The Principal Charity Classic and senior vice president, The Principal. “We set a goal to become a million dollar children’s charity. Achieving it, and receiving this award, means helping more of our most treasured resource, our children. And doing it while bringing world class golf to Central Iowa is all the more gratifying.”
One significant beneficiary was Ty Storm, a seven-year-old boy born with a brain disease that resulted in cerebral palsy, who was presented with a new specialized bicycle during The Principal Charity Classic by Champions Tour professionals Hal Sutton and Jim Thorpe. Storm receives speech and occupational therapy, in which he focuses on strengthening and stretching his muscles. Riding a bike helps him progress in his therapy while also allowing him to have fun outdoors. The specialized bikes cost up to $3,000 each. Following his victory at Wakonda Club this year, Russ Cochran announced he would donate five special-needs bicycles to Variety-The Children’s Charity.
“The recognition received by “FORE Our Kids” as our Charity of the Year is richly deserved in light of their efforts in continually assisting children throughout central Iowa,” said Champions Tour President Mike Stevens. “Their involvement within the community, and the children’s charities associated with The Principal Charity Classic, typifies one of our core values that together, anything is possible."
As recipient of the 2013 Champions Tour Charity of the Year, “FORE Our Kids” will receive $30,000, which will benefit children with disabilities and illnesses in central Iowa through the donation of adapted bicycles and specially equipped iPads for children's organizations associated with The 2013 Principal Charity Classic.
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- THE PLAYERS announces $8.5 million raised for charity in 2016 11/03/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016