Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship
December 6, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- The PGA TOUR has named Darlene Riggs of Jacksonville, Fla., the 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year in recognition of her dedication to THE PLAYERS Championship, where she has operated the event’s volunteer dining services for 28 years.
Riggs was chosen the 2013 Volunteer of the Year from the more than 30,000 volunteers who support the PGA TOUR each year. The selfless commitment of volunteers enables tournaments to generate millions of dollars for their respective charities, while at the same time providing a fun and memorable experience for fans.
“On the behalf of the 2,000-plus volunteers who support THE PLAYERS, I would like to congratulate Darlene on her selection as the PGA TOUR 2013 Volunteer of the Year,” said Robert Davis, THE PLAYERS 2013 tournament chairman. “For more than 28 years, Darlene has given her time, energy and - most importantly - her heart to the tournament. She is such a big part of making THE PLAYERS volunteers happy and providing the best food in town that we named the facility ‘Darlene’s Diner’ in her honor in 2009. Darlene is truly an example of what it means to give back and make a difference in the lives of others.”
Riggs and her team prepare and serve breakfast and lunch to more than 2,000 volunteers with a total of 30,000 meals served over a two-week period. Using her own recipes, she makes everything from fresh ingredients, every day. Not only does Riggs handle the delivery process, but she also plans, cooks, cleans and manages to do it all while making conversation with everyone she serves.
Riggs’ volunteerism is rooted in a charitable spirit. In an effort to save money that can go toward THE PLAYERS charities, Riggs has negotiated numerous deals with food distributors to keep costs as low as possible. She does so, however, without ever sacrificing the quality of the product.
Riggs also runs volunteer food and beverage at three other events: TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola (Atlanta, Ga.); the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard (Orlando, Fla.); and the Web.com Tour Championship (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.).
“I am so thankful to be recognized for something I truly love doing,” said Riggs. “I feel bad because so much focus is on me, but I’m only as good as the people I have helping me. And I have the best volunteers by my side, the very best. This award honors all of them.”THE PLAYERS 2014 will be held May 5-11 at TPC Sawgrass (THE PLAYERS Stadium Course), when Tiger Woods will defend his title.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015