Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children
December 11, 2013
LAS VEGAS, Nev.– Four-time PGA TOUR winner Brian Gay teamed up with DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL®, a global leader in the hospitality and vacation ownership industries, to raise more than $410,000 in net proceeds to benefit the Walt Disney Pavilion at the Florida Hospital for Children (FHFC) at the first annual Brian Gay Invitational on December 6-8.
Hosting more than 300 attendees, golfers and celebrities, the Brian Gay Invitational was held at Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club in Celebration, Fla. and included a private golf clinic with Gay and professional golf instructor, Joe Mayo, followed by a celebrity/amateur golf tournament and an award dinner. Saturday’s golf tournament offered a unique opportunity as each foursome was paired with a celebrity. The winning team featured retired PGA TOUR professional Carl Paulson and Robert Foster, Mike Merchent and his 12-year-old son, Clay.
On Sunday, the Brian Gay Invitational hosted a celebrity-only golf tournament. The winner of the Professional Golf Division was Nick O’Hern, who received $15,000, and the Celebrity Champion, retired NFL player, Mark Rypien, received $10,000.
One of the highlights of the weekend was a live concert on the driving range featuring a roster of premier musicians including original band members from Hootie and the Blowfish, bassist, Dean Felber and lead guitarist, Mark Bryan; Creed drummer, Scott Phillips and a special guest performance by Darius Rucker. The concert concluded with Brian and Kimberly Gay accompanying Darius Rucker on stage.
For non-golfers, the weekend included VIP trips to local area attractions and a tour of the Florida Hospital for Children.
“From arrival to departure, Diamond Resorts International® truly delivered a world-class event. It was an honor to be a part of this weekend and lend my support to this charitable effort and very worthy cause,” said Gay.
According to Michael Flaskey, Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing, North America, Diamond Resorts International®, “With the immense support and tremendous generosity of our celebrities, golfers and sponsors we were able to not only achieve our goal, but go well beyond our expectations. We want to thank every attendee for making this possible and contributing to our fundraising efforts for the Florida Hospital for Children.”
The following celebrities participated in the Brian Gay Invitational:
- Marcus Allen, Hall of Fame Football Player
- Johnny Damon, Retired MLB Player
- Richard Dent, Retired NFL Player
- Mike Eruzione, Olympic Hockey Legend
- Troy Glaus, Retired MLB Player
- John Hart, MLB Executive
- Grant Hill, Retired NBA Player
- J.B. Holmes, PGA TOUR Player
- Reggie Jackson, Hall of Fame Baseball Player
- Lee Janzen, PGA TOUR Player
- Ray Lankford, Retired MLB Player
- Ryan Longwell, NFL Player
- Joe Magrane, Retired MLB Player/Commentator
- Charlie Manuel, MLB Manager
- Joe Mayo, Professional Golf Instructor
- Kevin Millar, Retired MLB Player/Sportscaster
- Phil Nevin, Retired MLB Player
- Bud Norris, MLB Player
- Jose Alvarez, retired MLB Player
- Nick O’Hern, PGA TOUR Player
- Carl Paulson, Retired PGA TOUR Player
- A.J. Pierzynski, MLB Player
- Dan Plesac, Retired MLB Player
- Darius Rucker, Country Music Superstar
- Mark Rypien, Retired NFL Player
- John Smoltz, Retired MLB Player/Sportscaster
- Michael “Yogi” Stewart, Retired NBA Player
- Frank Viola, Retired MLB Player
- Mark Bryan, Lead Guitarist
- Dean Felber, Bassist
- Scott Phillips, Drummer
- Mark Tremonti, Guitarist
Diamond Resorts International® manages vacation ownership resorts and sells vacation ownership points that provide members and owners with Vacations of a Lifetime™ through 92 managed resorts, 210 affiliated properties and four cruise itineraries. To learn more, visit DiamondResorts.com.
- Molder hits the runway at Halo Animal Rescue's 'Players and Pets' event 01/28/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives Classic at the Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/28/2015
- Watson's car nets $410K for Birdies for the Brave 01/19/2015
- Hunter Mahan to 'putt a painting' for NADA benefit 01/16/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives Classic set for Jan. 27 at Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/15/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players visit Greenville Shriners Hospital 01/15/2015
- College of the Ozarks named 2014 Champions Tour Charity of the Year 01/14/2015
- Bubba Watson puts classic car on Barrett-Jackson's auction block for charity 01/09/2015
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions serves as vehicle for charity 01/09/2015
- Evans Scholars Foundation surpasses 10,000 alumni 01/08/2015