Team USA claims 2013 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge title
August 28, 2013
VERONA, N.Y. – Team USA outshot a star lineup of international PGA TOUR golfers to win the 2013 Notah Begay III Foundation (NB3) Challenge, hosted by the Oneida Indian Nation at Turning Stone Resort’s Atunyote® Golf Club in central New York. Rickie Fowler and Begay’s resolute focus, paired with the artful strategy of Gary Woodland and Bo Van Pelt, gave Team USA the competitive edge needed to secure victory in the combined, best-ball event. The sixth annual NB3 Challenge not only attracted thousands of enthusiastic golf fans, but raised funds and awareness to benefit the mission of the Notah Begay III Foundation (NB3F), which addresses the pressing health and wellness issues facing Native American children.
“Year after year, this event serves as a unique platform to raise awareness for the disparities in resources and support facing Native American communities,” said the fundraiser’s host, four-time PGA TOUR winner and NBC/Golf Channel Analyst Notah Begay III. “The combination of humbling support, financial contributions and strategic partnerships with world-class golfers, Oneida Indian Nation and loyal fans is so powerful, and truly invaluable, in driving our mission to reverse the obesity and type 2 diabetes epidemic among Native children. I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who helps us with this mission.”
Twelve talented athletes from six countries took to the picturesque course, lined with 4,000 eager fans, for a memorable afternoon. Ultimately, Team USA accomplished what few can, taming Atunyote with a score of 21-under par, outperforming Team International – which included Lee Westwood, Charl Schwartzel, Henrik Stenson and Nicolas Colsaerts – and Team Asia – comprised of K.J. Choi, John Huh, James Hahn and Charlie Wi.
“Today we played for a reason greater than our love of sport,” said Fowler, after his team’s winning effort. “We put our competitive spirits toward the positive goal of helping Notah and his foundation address the fact that one-in-two Native American children will be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in their lifetime. Congratulations to my teammates, all of the competitors, and particularly Notah, not just for hosting a fantastic event, but for his relentless work on this issue.”
Each year, the NB3 Challenge is the largest fundraising event of its kind. The underlying goal of the tournament is realized when all proceeds are channeled to launch, sustain and expand programming to combat health issues threatening Native children – more than 15,000 of whom have benefited from NB3F programs to date. NB3F engages these young people through soccer, golf, health and wellness programs.
Beyond developing sustainable, replicable, evidence-based programs, NB3F has established itself as a leader in research, advocacy and strategic grantmaking. Moreover, it continues to create meaningful partnerships across Indian Country to advance its mission. Turning Stone Resort Casino, which hosts the NB3 Challenge, is an economic enterprise of the Oneida Indian Nation, and has provided generous support to NB3F and the NB3 Challenge for many years.
“The partnership between the Notah Begay III Foundation and the Oneida Indian Nation is defined by a shared passion for bettering the lives of future generations of Native leaders,” said Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter. “We are honored to be a part of a premier event that provides unmatched programming to help children lead active lives.”
For more information about NB3F, its work in Native communities and the NB3 Challenge, visit nb3foundation.org.
- Billy Horschel takes aim at hunger in Northest Florida 05/29/2015
- Shaw Charity Classic teams with AltaLink for 2015 Birdies for Kids fundraising program 05/26/2015
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015