Shaw Charity Classic adds two youth charities to list of beneficiaries
August 15, 2013
CALGARY, Alberta—Thousands of youth in southern Alberta will benefit from having the legends of golf, led by 2013 Presidents Cup captains Fred Couples and Nick Price, battle it out for the inaugural Shaw Charity Classic title at Calgary’s Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, Aug. 28- Sept. 1.
Tournament officials have announced that “All In” for Youth, a United Way led initiative, and YouthLink Calgary Police Interpretive Centre, funded by the Calgary Police Foundation, will round out its youth-based charitable partners for the 2013 event.
“All In” for Youth has three main focuses: keeping youth in school; bringing youth back to school; and connecting youth to a diverse array of further education and career options. With one in four Calgary youth not completing high school, the charity's goal is to reduce Calgary's dropout rate by 50% over the next five years.
YouthLink Calgary educates youth about crime and its consequences, the role of police in society, and demonstrates how fulfilling tomorrows are built on sound lifestyle choices today. Issue-based topics provide a springboard for parents and educators to begin discussions with their children about sensitive and timely topics such as Internet safety, how to handle bullies, how to say no to peer pressure involving drugs and alcohol, and how to recognize the many faces of exploitation and abuse.
The Shaw Charity Classic has committed $1.25 million in donations to local charities. Other charitable partners include: Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta, Sheldon Kennedy Child Advocacy Centre, and KidSport Calgary.
In July, the patron group – a philanthropic team comprised of Tournament Chairman Clay Riddell, Vice Chairman Allan Markin, as well as Keith MacPhail, Jim Riddell, Guy Turcotte, and PGA TOUR professional Stephen Ames, – expedited its philanthropic efforts in advance of the tournament by donating $250,000 to the Southern Alberta Emergency Relief Fund to support helping with the rebuild following last month’s devastating floods.
Tickets for the Shaw Charity Classic are available online at shawcharityclassic.com. Youth 17 and under are admitted free with a ticketed adult.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015