PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House of Akron
August 2, 2013
By Allison Kolodziej, Special to Together.PGATOUR.com
AKRON, Ohio- The Ronald McDonald House of Akron welcomed PGA TOUR Wives Association members Rosalind Schwartzel (Charl), Ellie Day (Jason) and Meagan Laird (Martin) of for a morning of baking and visiting with residents and staff on Wednesday, July 31.
While their husbands practiced in advance of the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational, the women whipped up several batches of Rickie Fowler’s favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as a treat for families staying at the house. The recipe is one of several featured in the Wives Association’s 25th anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens.
“It’s very special for us to be here,” said Laird, who is the vice president of community outreach for the PGA TOUR Wives Association. “What the Ronald McDonald House does is amazing – giving families a home and support when they need it most.”
The Ronald McDonald House of Akron serves as a temporary home away from home for families who have loved ones at Akron Children’s Hospital. It is one of the tournament’s charities – along with the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Both will receive $50,000 from WGC-Bridgestone Invitational proceeds.
The TOUR wives also presented gift cards from Target, Kohl’s and Lowe’s for House supplies, along with Acme Fresh Market gift cards for groceries.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association is actively engaged in outreach, volunteer service projects and fundraising initiatives which impact local communities throughout the year. Its members, individually and as a group, are dedicated to helping children and their families. Over the past 25 years, the Association’s events have raised more than $5 million and its members have worked with hundreds of charities, impacting thousands of children all over the United States.
The World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational takes place through Sunday, August 4 at Firestone Country Club.
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016