PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House of Akron
August 2, 2013
By Allison Kolodziej, Special to Together.PGATOUR.com
AKRON, Ohio- The Ronald McDonald House of Akron welcomed PGA TOUR Wives Association members Rosalind Schwartzel (Charl), Ellie Day (Jason) and Meagan Laird (Martin) of for a morning of baking and visiting with residents and staff on Wednesday, July 31.
While their husbands practiced in advance of the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational, the women whipped up several batches of Rickie Fowler’s favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as a treat for families staying at the house. The recipe is one of several featured in the Wives Association’s 25th anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens.
“It’s very special for us to be here,” said Laird, who is the vice president of community outreach for the PGA TOUR Wives Association. “What the Ronald McDonald House does is amazing – giving families a home and support when they need it most.”
The Ronald McDonald House of Akron serves as a temporary home away from home for families who have loved ones at Akron Children’s Hospital. It is one of the tournament’s charities – along with the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Both will receive $50,000 from WGC-Bridgestone Invitational proceeds.
The TOUR wives also presented gift cards from Target, Kohl’s and Lowe’s for House supplies, along with Acme Fresh Market gift cards for groceries.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association is actively engaged in outreach, volunteer service projects and fundraising initiatives which impact local communities throughout the year. Its members, individually and as a group, are dedicated to helping children and their families. Over the past 25 years, the Association’s events have raised more than $5 million and its members have worked with hundreds of charities, impacting thousands of children all over the United States.
The World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational takes place through Sunday, August 4 at Firestone Country Club.
- VIDEO: 2013 Charity Of The Year - Memory Matters 04/17/2014
- RBC challenges 10 PGA TOUR players to 'play it forward' in support of children's charities 04/17/2014
- RBC Heritage, Ernie Els Foundation turn golf blue in support of autism awareness 04/16/2014
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS Championship 17th Hole Charity Challenge 04/14/2014
- Jacksonville community receives 'dream' playground 04/14/2014
- PGA TOUR Superstore announces $5,000 grant to The First Tee of Greater Rockford 04/04/2014
- Inaugural Tiger Woods Charity Playoffs to benefit youth 04/03/2014
- Donate Life America's "Play Through with Erik Compton" enters third year 04/03/2014
- Notah Begay to host charity golf tournament 04/03/2014
- Erik Compton: Matters of the Heart 04/02/2014