PGA TOUR Wives visit Ronald McDonald House of Akron
August 2, 2013
By Allison Kolodziej, Special to Together.PGATOUR.com
AKRON, Ohio- The Ronald McDonald House of Akron welcomed PGA TOUR Wives Association members Rosalind Schwartzel (Charl), Ellie Day (Jason) and Meagan Laird (Martin) of for a morning of baking and visiting with residents and staff on Wednesday, July 31.
While their husbands practiced in advance of the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational, the women whipped up several batches of Rickie Fowler’s favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookies as a treat for families staying at the house. The recipe is one of several featured in the Wives Association’s 25th anniversary book, Beyond the Fairways and Greens.
“It’s very special for us to be here,” said Laird, who is the vice president of community outreach for the PGA TOUR Wives Association. “What the Ronald McDonald House does is amazing – giving families a home and support when they need it most.”
The Ronald McDonald House of Akron serves as a temporary home away from home for families who have loved ones at Akron Children’s Hospital. It is one of the tournament’s charities – along with the Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland. Both will receive $50,000 from WGC-Bridgestone Invitational proceeds.
The TOUR wives also presented gift cards from Target, Kohl’s and Lowe’s for House supplies, along with Acme Fresh Market gift cards for groceries.
The PGA TOUR Wives Association is actively engaged in outreach, volunteer service projects and fundraising initiatives which impact local communities throughout the year. Its members, individually and as a group, are dedicated to helping children and their families. Over the past 25 years, the Association’s events have raised more than $5 million and its members have worked with hundreds of charities, impacting thousands of children all over the United States.
The World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational takes place through Sunday, August 4 at Firestone Country Club.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015