Hoffmann walks for wellness at The Barclays
August 22, 2013
Update: Hoffmann recorded 42,610 steps during the tournament, raising an additional $4,000 for the New Jersey Golf Foundation.
NEW JERSEY CITY, N.J.- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is driving home health and wellness to golf fans at The Barclays with a challenge to golf pro and Wyckoff native, Morgan Hoffmann, as he plays in this week’s tournament. For every 10,000 steps Hoffmann registers on a pedometer as he walks Liberty National this week, Horizon BCBSNJ will add another $1,000 to a $5,000 donation it is also making to the New Jersey Golf Foundation.
As an official sponsor of The Barclays golf tournament, Horizon BCBSNJ today welcomed Hoffmann to its Health and Wellness Center, located on the driving range near #4 Green. Golf fans who enter the tent will find a series of interactive stations for BMI readings, vision screenings and even mixing their own healthy smoothie on a specially designed blending bike. While visiting the center, Hoffmann also helped The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey present a $5,000 check to the New Jersey Golf Foundation, which brings the game of golf to underserved youths while also promoting health and wellness among children.
“Horizon is at The Barclays to promote health and wellness for golf fans, and we’re thrilled to have Morgan help us spread this important message,” said Jonathan R. Pearson, Executive Director of The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. “Horizon’s contribution will help the New Jersey Golf Foundation reach more children and promote a healthy lifestyle, and this support will grow since Morgan Hoffmann has accepted our pedometer challenge.”
As Hoffmann plays each round during the tournament, Horizon will donate an additional $1,000 for each 10,000 steps he takes. All proceeds will go to the New Jersey Golf Foundation.
Many of the children who benefit from the charitable work of the New Jersey Golf Foundation met up with Hoffmann at the Horizon Health and Wellness Center. Hoffmann offered them golfing tips and answered some questions as he prepares for the first round of The Barclays.
“Learning the game of golf is an enjoyable way to stay fit and active at any age, especially for children,” said Hoffmann, who was a member of the New Jersey PGA Junior Tour and The First Tee program in his early teens. “Through its youth development programs, the New Jersey Golf Foundation is bringing the game and its benefits to children who otherwise might not be introduced to golf.”
“We want to acknowledge the generous support of The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey and the commitment to the next generation of young golfers in teaching important life lessons through the game of golf,” said Chris Hunt, Director of Operations for the New Jersey Golf Foundation.
“We welcome Horizon here as a sponsor of The Barclays,” said Peter Mele Executive Director of The Barclays. “Good health, good golf and getting children involved and active in the game are perfect ingredients for this world class tournament in New Jersey.”
Through the PGA TOUR’s charitable efforts, millions of dollars each year go back to communities where tour events like the Barclays are played, benefitting nearly 3,000 charities and countless individuals worldwide.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015