Fuzzy Zoeller's 16th annual Wolf Challenge set for August 9-11
August 2, 2013
SELLERSBURG, Ind.— Two-time major winner Fuzzy Zoeller recently announced that the 16th and final Wolf Challenge, a charitable event that brings some of the brightest stars of professional golf and celebrities to Indiana, will be held August 9-11 at Fuzzy's own Covered Bridge Golf Club in Sellersburg.
"The Wolf is a lot of fun and a unique experience for the fan. I am always so proud to bring the biggest names in golf and celebrities from all around the world to meet my friends and experience my hometown's hospitality, which I love and am so proud of," says Zoeller.
Zoeller, one of the greatest characters of the game of golf, turned professional and joined the PGA TOUR in 1973. Zoller is one of only three golfers to win The Masters in his debut capturing the title in 1979. He has a total of 10 PGA TOUR victories, including a second major at the 1984 U.S. Open. Zoeller joined the Champions Tour in 2002 and went on to win the Senior PGA Championship later that year. In addition to golf, Zoeller is actively involved in charitable activities around his hometown and has his own line of vodka, "Fuzzy's Vodka".
One of golf's most revered figured, Trevino, a 1981 World Golf Hall of Fame inductee has won 29 times on the PGA and Champions Tours. Trevino owns six PGA TOUR majors with the 1968 and 1971 U.S. opens, 1971 and 1972 British Opens and 1974 and 1984 PGA Championships. He holds four Champions Tour majors- the 1990 U.S. Senior Open, 1992 and 1994 Senior PGA Championships and the 1992 Tradition. The 1967 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year, Trevino won five Vardon Trophies (low scoring average), played on six U.S Ryder Cup teams and captained the 1985 Ryder Cup team.
Lopez joined the LPGA Tour in 1977 and quickly made a name for herself. She won nine tournaments during her first full season on tour easily making her the 1978 LPGA Tour Rookie of the Year. In total, Lopez amassed 48 victories during her illustrious career, including three LPGA Championships. She was named Player of the Year four times and inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1987, become the youngest qualifier for the LPGA Tour.
Stadler took the San Diego golf scene by storm as a youth, first at La Jolla High School and then as a collegiate player at University of Southern California. He won the 1973 U.S. Amateur Championship, turning professional in 1976 and winning his first PGA Tour events in 1980 – the Bob Hope Desert Classic and the Greater Greensboro Open. He'd go on to win the 1982 Masters Tournament, one of four events in which he was victorious that year, following that up as a member of the 1983 and 1985 Ryder Cup squads. Stadler joined the Champions Tour in 2003, amassing eight victories between 2003 and 2004 including his first senior win: the 2003 Ford Senior Players Championship. He was the Tour's leading money winner in 2004. Stadler captured is ninth Champions Tour win in June at the Encompass Championship, his first in almost nine years.
Over the past seventeen years, the Wolf Challenge has raised over $2 million for Fuzzy's Kids, a charitable organization benefiting the kids of Indiana and Kentucky. The three day event kicks off Friday with the Wolf Challenge Shamble played at Champions Pointe Golf Club. The Wolf Challenge Pro-Am will be played on Saturday, August 10 at Covered Bridge and featuring PGA TOUR professionals and various famous celebrities. Highlighting the weekend is the Wolf Challenge featuring Zoeller, Trevino, Lopez and Stadler on Sunday, August 11 at Covered Bridge.
Tickets for the Wolf Challenge are on sale now, and run $30 for a two-day general admission ticket. Two day tickets upgraded to include Clubhouse Access are $100. The VIP All Access Experience is $500 and includes a ticket to all exclusive VIP events including the Pairings Party on Friday, August 9 the Wolf Challenge Dinner Gala & Auction on Saturday, August 10, and on-course VIP hospitality for both Saturday and Sunday. Tickets can be purchased by calling (812) 246-8200 or go to www.wolfchallenge.com.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015