Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces $350,000 in Hawaii charitable donations
April 16, 2013
Kapalua, Maui, HI – Representatives from the Hyundai Tournament of Champions gathered at the tournament’s annual charity luncheon to announce donations made by the event for 2013. Nearly $350,000 will be distributed to a number of Hawaii Charities. Since the tournament’s inception in 1999 the tournament and host organizations have donated more than $4.4 million to Hawaii Community Charities.
Among the charities receiving donations were the tournaments "Designated Beneficiaries,” including:
- Boy Scouts of America, Maui County Council
- Friends of the Children's Justice Center
- Hale Makua Health Services
- J. Walter Cameron Center
- Ka Lima O Maui
- Lahainaluna High School Foundation
The above six organizations partner with the tournament by providing assistance in promoting the event, offsetting costs, providing volunteers and much more. The Hawaii State Junior Golf Association and Maui Junior Golf also received a significant donation for their work in promoting and providing opportunities to grow the game of golf for Hawaii’s youth.
Donations also went to participants in the Golf for Maui Charities program, which was open to any non-profit organization. Participants were able to promote the sale of tournament tickets and keep 100% of the net proceeds.
Through Hyundai Motor America and its Hope on Wheels program (including the first Hope on Wheels 5K Run held during the tournament week), $83,670 was donated to the Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children to further pediatric cancer research in the state of Hawaii.
“The entire Maui community, the volunteers, the fans, Kapalua Resort and the PGA TOUR all deserve a great deal of thanks as we announce our charitable funds for the 2013 Hyundai Tournament of Champions,” said Steve Shannon, vice president, Marketing, Hyundai Motor America. “Today, we celebrate the dollars raised by this world-class event and the impact it makes throughout the Island.”
“The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is proud to support such deserving charities,” said Nancy Cross, Tournament Director. “It was a tough year due to the weather, but the community, the fans, the volunteers, the resort staff and everyone involved rallied together to make a great event and ultimately increase our charitable footprint. A special thank you to Hyundai, for their continued effort and support in making the Hyundai Tournament of Champions one of the elite sporting events in the world.”
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014
- Web.com Tour announces 2014 Volunteer of the Year 12/10/2014