Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces $350,000 in Hawaii charitable donations
April 16, 2013
Kapalua, Maui, HI – Representatives from the Hyundai Tournament of Champions gathered at the tournament’s annual charity luncheon to announce donations made by the event for 2013. Nearly $350,000 will be distributed to a number of Hawaii Charities. Since the tournament’s inception in 1999 the tournament and host organizations have donated more than $4.4 million to Hawaii Community Charities.
Among the charities receiving donations were the tournaments "Designated Beneficiaries,” including:
- Boy Scouts of America, Maui County Council
- Friends of the Children's Justice Center
- Hale Makua Health Services
- J. Walter Cameron Center
- Ka Lima O Maui
- Lahainaluna High School Foundation
The above six organizations partner with the tournament by providing assistance in promoting the event, offsetting costs, providing volunteers and much more. The Hawaii State Junior Golf Association and Maui Junior Golf also received a significant donation for their work in promoting and providing opportunities to grow the game of golf for Hawaii’s youth.
Donations also went to participants in the Golf for Maui Charities program, which was open to any non-profit organization. Participants were able to promote the sale of tournament tickets and keep 100% of the net proceeds.
Through Hyundai Motor America and its Hope on Wheels program (including the first Hope on Wheels 5K Run held during the tournament week), $83,670 was donated to the Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children to further pediatric cancer research in the state of Hawaii.
“The entire Maui community, the volunteers, the fans, Kapalua Resort and the PGA TOUR all deserve a great deal of thanks as we announce our charitable funds for the 2013 Hyundai Tournament of Champions,” said Steve Shannon, vice president, Marketing, Hyundai Motor America. “Today, we celebrate the dollars raised by this world-class event and the impact it makes throughout the Island.”
“The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is proud to support such deserving charities,” said Nancy Cross, Tournament Director. “It was a tough year due to the weather, but the community, the fans, the volunteers, the resort staff and everyone involved rallied together to make a great event and ultimately increase our charitable footprint. A special thank you to Hyundai, for their continued effort and support in making the Hyundai Tournament of Champions one of the elite sporting events in the world.”
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015