Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces $350,000 in Hawaii charitable donations
April 16, 2013
Kapalua, Maui, HI – Representatives from the Hyundai Tournament of Champions gathered at the tournament’s annual charity luncheon to announce donations made by the event for 2013. Nearly $350,000 will be distributed to a number of Hawaii Charities. Since the tournament’s inception in 1999 the tournament and host organizations have donated more than $4.4 million to Hawaii Community Charities.
Among the charities receiving donations were the tournaments "Designated Beneficiaries,” including:
- Boy Scouts of America, Maui County Council
- Friends of the Children's Justice Center
- Hale Makua Health Services
- J. Walter Cameron Center
- Ka Lima O Maui
- Lahainaluna High School Foundation
The above six organizations partner with the tournament by providing assistance in promoting the event, offsetting costs, providing volunteers and much more. The Hawaii State Junior Golf Association and Maui Junior Golf also received a significant donation for their work in promoting and providing opportunities to grow the game of golf for Hawaii’s youth.
Donations also went to participants in the Golf for Maui Charities program, which was open to any non-profit organization. Participants were able to promote the sale of tournament tickets and keep 100% of the net proceeds.
Through Hyundai Motor America and its Hope on Wheels program (including the first Hope on Wheels 5K Run held during the tournament week), $83,670 was donated to the Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children to further pediatric cancer research in the state of Hawaii.
“The entire Maui community, the volunteers, the fans, Kapalua Resort and the PGA TOUR all deserve a great deal of thanks as we announce our charitable funds for the 2013 Hyundai Tournament of Champions,” said Steve Shannon, vice president, Marketing, Hyundai Motor America. “Today, we celebrate the dollars raised by this world-class event and the impact it makes throughout the Island.”
“The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is proud to support such deserving charities,” said Nancy Cross, Tournament Director. “It was a tough year due to the weather, but the community, the fans, the volunteers, the resort staff and everyone involved rallied together to make a great event and ultimately increase our charitable footprint. A special thank you to Hyundai, for their continued effort and support in making the Hyundai Tournament of Champions one of the elite sporting events in the world.”
- THE PLAYERS announces Toby Keith for Military Appreciation Day 02/12/2016
- Two by Two Rescue named 2015 PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/12/2016
- Chubb Classic, Waste Management donate up to $5K to Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs 02/11/2016
- Travelers Championship names ALS Clinic at Hospital for Special Care in New Britain primary beneficiary in 2016 02/11/2016
- 2016 Gary Player Invitational scores an ace for local charity in Abu Dhabi 02/11/2016
- PGA TOUR supports GCSAA implementation of best management practices with $250,000 grant 02/10/2016
- G-Mac Foundation 'Best of Ireland' event announces $2.7M raised for pediatric hospital in Ireland 02/10/2016
- Birdies for the Brave, Callaway Golf honor wounded heroes during AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 02/10/2016
- VIDEO: Reno-Tahoe Open Foundation awards $50,000 to local charities 02/09/2016
- PHOTOS: Charity Tuesday at the Waste Management Phoenix Open 02/03/2016