PGA TOUR and tournaments surpass $130 million for charity in 2012
April 4, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR announced today that its combined annual charitable contributions from tournaments on the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour established a record by surpassing $130 million for 2012. The previous record was established in 2010 when tournaments raised more than $124.5 million.
This brings the all-time total raised for charity by the PGA TOUR and its tournaments to $1.86 billion, with more than $1.5 billion of that coming since 1994. The TOUR expects to surpass the $2 billion milestone sometime early in the 2014 season.
The AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and Valero Texas Open led the way with more than $9 million raised for charity. On the Champions Tour, the 3M Championship raised $1.3 million and the Toshiba Classic added another $1.0 million.
The Winn-Dixie Jacksonville Open presented by Planters became the first Web.com Tour event to raise more than $2 million in a year with $2.008 million. The Albertsons Boise Open presented by Kraft, at $1.275 million also surpassed $1 million in donations.
“Heartfelt thanks and congratulations to the tournaments, sponsors, host organizations, volunteers and fans across all three Tours,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “To be able to achieve this level of support is truly remarkable and is a testament to the selfless work and dedication of so many across all three Tours.
“Our tournaments are having a year-round impact on countless lives around the world and none of this would be possible without the tireless efforts of more than 100,000 volunteers who support PGA TOUR tournaments.”
In addition to the donations made by tournaments, PGA TOUR players across the three Tours are active with their own charitable initiatives and foundations. The PGA TOUR has begun the process of tracking the charitable activities of our players and it is estimated that they raised more than $35 million in 2012.
- Karan and Don Whamond named 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteers of the Year 12/08/2016
- Winner of THE NORTHERN TRUST volunteer challenge selects American Cancer Society to receive $5,000 donation 12/08/2016
- Each One Tell One named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/08/2016
- PHOTOS: Jason Dufner visits Grace Place during Franklin Templeton Shootout 12/07/2016
- The First Tee of the Triad, PGA TOUR player Johnson Wagner, Salute 2016 Award Winners, ACE Graduates 12/02/2016
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016