PGA TOUR and tournaments surpass $130 million for charity in 2012
April 4, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR announced today that its combined annual charitable contributions from tournaments on the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour established a record by surpassing $130 million for 2012. The previous record was established in 2010 when tournaments raised more than $124.5 million.
This brings the all-time total raised for charity by the PGA TOUR and its tournaments to $1.86 billion, with more than $1.5 billion of that coming since 1994. The TOUR expects to surpass the $2 billion milestone sometime early in the 2014 season.
The AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and Valero Texas Open led the way with more than $9 million raised for charity. On the Champions Tour, the 3M Championship raised $1.3 million and the Toshiba Classic added another $1.0 million.
The Winn-Dixie Jacksonville Open presented by Planters became the first Web.com Tour event to raise more than $2 million in a year with $2.008 million. The Albertsons Boise Open presented by Kraft, at $1.275 million also surpassed $1 million in donations.
“Heartfelt thanks and congratulations to the tournaments, sponsors, host organizations, volunteers and fans across all three Tours,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “To be able to achieve this level of support is truly remarkable and is a testament to the selfless work and dedication of so many across all three Tours.
“Our tournaments are having a year-round impact on countless lives around the world and none of this would be possible without the tireless efforts of more than 100,000 volunteers who support PGA TOUR tournaments.”
In addition to the donations made by tournaments, PGA TOUR players across the three Tours are active with their own charitable initiatives and foundations. The PGA TOUR has begun the process of tracking the charitable activities of our players and it is estimated that they raised more than $35 million in 2012.
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jeff Maggert's $5,000 shot for charity 04/14/2015
- Brad Faxon receives 2015 Ouimet Award 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Padraig Harrington on Ireland's Lollipop Day and the fight against oesophageal cancer 04/14/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015