PGA TOUR and tournaments surpass $130 million for charity in 2012
April 4, 2013
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The PGA TOUR announced today that its combined annual charitable contributions from tournaments on the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour established a record by surpassing $130 million for 2012. The previous record was established in 2010 when tournaments raised more than $124.5 million.
This brings the all-time total raised for charity by the PGA TOUR and its tournaments to $1.86 billion, with more than $1.5 billion of that coming since 1994. The TOUR expects to surpass the $2 billion milestone sometime early in the 2014 season.
The AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and Valero Texas Open led the way with more than $9 million raised for charity. On the Champions Tour, the 3M Championship raised $1.3 million and the Toshiba Classic added another $1.0 million.
The Winn-Dixie Jacksonville Open presented by Planters became the first Web.com Tour event to raise more than $2 million in a year with $2.008 million. The Albertsons Boise Open presented by Kraft, at $1.275 million also surpassed $1 million in donations.
“Heartfelt thanks and congratulations to the tournaments, sponsors, host organizations, volunteers and fans across all three Tours,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “To be able to achieve this level of support is truly remarkable and is a testament to the selfless work and dedication of so many across all three Tours.
“Our tournaments are having a year-round impact on countless lives around the world and none of this would be possible without the tireless efforts of more than 100,000 volunteers who support PGA TOUR tournaments.”
In addition to the donations made by tournaments, PGA TOUR players across the three Tours are active with their own charitable initiatives and foundations. The PGA TOUR has begun the process of tracking the charitable activities of our players and it is estimated that they raised more than $35 million in 2012.
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016
- David Toms' call for help with Louisiana flood relief 09/01/2016
- Team effort at Deutsche Bank Championship makes for a great start to school year 09/01/2016
- Phil Mickelson, Stacy Lewis support literacy through KPMG's 'Blue for Books' program 09/01/2016