Mickelson fundraising auction benefiting military offers Ryder Cup opportunity
September 10, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.— Last month, World Golf Hall of Fame member Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy, launched an online auction featuring a variety of priceless items and experiences for the benefit of Birdies for the Brave – a national military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR, which was founded by the Mickelsons. The Mickelsons, along with Jim and Cathy Justice and The Greenbrier Classic, launched the auction in conjunction with a Birdies for the Brave fundraising event scheduled to take place at TPC Sawgrass on Friday, November 30, and Saturday, December 1, featuring a Pro-Am and Gala Dinner.
One of the items in the auction, four week-long daily grounds passes to the upcoming Ryder Cup that will be held at Medinah Country Club near Chicago, is nearing completion. Fans interested in getting a great deal on this ticket package while supporting an outstanding cause can go to auction.galaforb4b.org to bid. The package includes four daily grounds tickets from September 25-30 and features a minimum bid of $1,500 (total package valued at nearly $5,000). Transportation, lodging, and meal expenses are not included.
Golf fans and military supporters can also visit www.galaforb4b.org to bid on other unique items, including golf and lunch with Donald Trump; a golf experience in Ireland with three-time PGA TOUR champion Darren Clarke; and a Scotland golf experience with six-time major champion Sir Nick Faldo, among many others. Each item will include both “buy it now” and auction pricing.
Proceeds will benefit nine military homefront groups that are part of Birdies for the Brave and which are supported by PGA TOUR players, including Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Homes for Our Troops, Navy SEAL
Foundation, Operation Homefront, Military Warriors Support Foundation, Green Beret Foundation, United Through Reading, Wounded Warrior Project and K9s for Warriors.
Birdies for the Brave was created by Phil and Amy Mickelson in 2004 to support the children of special operations forces who died in combat or training and provide homes for military forces severely injured during combat. For each birdie or eagle made by Phil throughout the season, a contribution of $100 for a birdie or $500 for an eagle is made to Special Operations Warrior Foundation and Homes for Our Troops. In 2006, the TOUR adopted Birdies for the Brave and expanded it to include a variety of military outreach initiatives, including rehabilitative golf programs for wounded warriors; military appreciation activities during TOUR tournaments; and a series of Birdies for the Brave fundraising events at TPCs, an effort that has raised more than $10 million for military homefront groups.
Fundraising events in 2012 will culminate with the Pro-Am and Gala at TPC Sawgrass. Fifty-four PGA TOUR, LPGA and Champions Tour players including Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino and Nancy Lopez are scheduled to play in the Pro-Am. Amateur participants will play with a professional during two days of competition on two prestigious golf courses, THE PLAYERS Stadium Course and Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass. For more information on the Pro-Am and Gala Dinner, visit www.galaforb4b.org
- Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children 12/11/2013
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013